victory plaque

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: victory plaque

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face victory plaque

well Im finally finished. digital art is great but I get lost in details sometimes. This is my first finished post here.

Last edited by n.waters; September 17th, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    the critiques:
    i see you have draw a long time on this picture....BUT
    the picture is too dark and they are too less highlights. try to dont have any total black areas. the picture looks very dead. you dont use many colors .. for exemple the sword have only the colors wight black and yellow ... if you want to draw gold than you need more colors like orange, brown, red-orange. you have to set more highlights too, but not everywere.
    if you want to know how gold or silver reflect, than search in the internet.
    the skull is very nice and have a lot details.
    at last you need a "light-direction" in your picture, if i look on the eyes of te skull it looks like it comes the light frontal, but on the sword i cant see it.
    here is a good link to see how some things reflect the light:
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
    i hope it helps^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

about crit

the swords are blued steel, the hilt and gard are unpolished brass, the shield is brushed steel. the jewel in the sockets were originaly gold but changed later to safire blue. I imagine the colors on your screen are not the ones on mine, I should have optimized it for the web. the the light is from the 2 o'clock position.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waters,

It's like emir said. Look at some reference items on the web. I suggest www.sxc.hu

It will make worlds of different in your final piece.

-Small Creatures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    N. Waters- heres some food for thought,
    Emir was right on most of what he said, here are some of the things he said applied to your image, as well as some other crits. see pic:

1. Light, I have found to be the most difficult to get down- heres what I have learned: you need to establish a light source and then follow trough with it through out the whole piece. Keep in mind the materials and the way it reflects the light- is it shiny? or dull or even in between? The website Small creature suggested is a great place to get reference, and its free.

2. Gold- is a multiple combination of colors, not just yellow and white with black shadow. I say try to redo this painting without using black at all-you will see major improvements. Getting gold and other metals down will only happen with practice, and referencing frem the real thing.

3. Add texture
    to your metals. It takes the piece to a new level. Using the right texture will turn out impressive results

4. Perspective-
    keep an eye on your perspective, your bricks are all twisted upward. Use the tools Photoshop has to create the best perspective possible before you start your painting.

5. Jewels-
    they reflect light differently than metal, more like glass, transparent and reflective-there may be light reflected on places where there is no light.

6. Light reflection using values and hues- create the contours of the shapes using the values and hues- dont throw black in and expect to make it appear realistic.

7. More light- it affects everything around the object as well, makes things such as walls, bricks, floors, change to lighter hues ( or darker ones, depending on the lighting)

I hope that helps you out, and keep an open mind about what people critique on your work, take a new look trough the fresh eyes of another viewer, don't be so defensive over your work.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    JLAlfaro, what will it take to get you to crit my stuff?! :cry:

Seriously though, awesome crit as always, waters, listen to this person (or crit demon? who can say... )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

An Update Thanks for the crits

I thank you guys,

You realy pushed me And I just wanted to post what Ive been working on.
    Of course now I have to revamp the whole peice. If you want to keep Track of my progress it will be posted in WIP, under"out world plaque"Thanks Again.

Last edited by n.waters; September 17th, 2009 at 11:07 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.