Sketchbook: Swen's character factory (updated april 18th) - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Swen's character factory (updated april 18th)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nyssa
    Thanks I'm glad I can inspire someone.

I finally had the chance to continue with the concepts of our chick game project, starting with the first enemy. The game is a fighting game set in a poultry factory in wich you (the chick) will have to fight your way to the office of the CEO. The first opponent is a fat guy who works at the sorting section of the factory. This was the description in the game design doc:

Fat guy
    Sloppy dressed, looks dumb, blue jeans a dirty t-shirt and if possible a red cap. Run towards you and tries to trample you. He is actually really slow.

Look:
    Height: 160cm.
    Damage: see appendix 2
    AI: see appendix 3
    Speed: see appendix 4
    Special weapon: belly

I started with a couple of thumbnails as usual. Then I picked one out and refined it. Since the models are going to be very low poly I kept my forms very simple. I don't think there will be time for turnarounds because I have A LOT of stuff to design in just a couple of days. And to close it of some dog anatomy studies I did yesterday. Comments are welcome as always.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow nice work you can see you put allot of effort into that.One question and i know he is a stylized character but where is his ass? and the dog heads are looking great, i want draw animals but i set myself a goal to learn humans first. do you draw in perspective guidelines for example eye sockets or do you just use points? just wondering. laterz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well he's got a very flat ass! I was thinking about adding it but such a subtle form would dissapear in the final model I think and it would take away from the overall gesture. I'll take his lack of ass into account if the final model looks weird. For the dog drawings I used points to get decent proportions and the rest was just going with the flow and the form and trying to feel the surface. My rendering really sucks I have to work more on that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your anatomy studies are hugely inspiring! Indeed your pencils are amazing. The character concepts on this page are great fun as well, I like how you explore his design and make sublte nuances. I'll check back soon, your sb is such fun to look at

Hey, I noticed in this pic that we've used the same reference! The woman to the left, I drew her as well from characterdesigns.com Yours looks so much better Anyway, again, I'll check back soon, keep at it!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AsaB
    Thank for the kind words. The woman looks decent but I screwed up the proportions. I'll have to be more carefull with that the next time. Maybe block in the pose with straight lines first like in this old study from one of Anthony Ryder's paintings. It's been a long time since I used this approach to start a drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since this was looking pretty decent I decided to put some more work into it. I wish I could get into a life drawing class to learn this stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you are improving quickly. In particular, your anatomy is noticeably improving. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KelsM
    thanks for dropping in man!

It's been a while again since I posted. I'm overwhelmed by schoolwork and my freelance project, which is also a good thing because it gives me a lot of stuff to post. I bought a little sketchbook specially for drawing from observation and I set a goal for myself to fill one a month so I'll start with that. Sorry for the crappy scans but I was in a hurry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are concept sketches I made for an onrail shooter game project. I thought the concepts for the houses were really crappy until I saw the 3d models (by Django den Boer by the way). After finishing the props I did a qiuck sketch for the first level. He then used it as a guide for his 3d level layout. Then I did a quick paintover in photoshop to see if the colors I chose were working wel together. There's still a lot of work to be put into this project before it's finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are more concepts for our chick game project. Mostly props for the first level of the game, the sorting section of the poultry factory. After the models were made I made a crappy setup in max to get an accurate scale using my thumbnail sketches as a guide and then I did a paintover in photoshop. The result is pretty decent and it's a pretty fast way to work when you are under tight deadlines so I'll have to use this approach more often. Enjoy and please leave your comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow big post, good job on that conveyor belt machine (where is the conveyor belt thou??). i love the observation people sketch's there so good i know because i try myself and it is crazy crazy hard. Keep it up man good look with ya projects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aussiedeza
    The conveyor belt is where the chickens are hanging upside down. Those observation sketches are really paying off when I nead to draw people from imagination. I'll drop in your sketchbook soon to see if you are doing your homework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, nice stuff you got going on here! I like how you don't limit yourself to only characters, for which I'm guilty for :-(. I like your life studies in trains, but you focus in my opinion on too much stuff that don't matter. Sometimes they're a bit hard to read. After school's over, we should get together and sketch! But keep 'em coming!

I've got an update on the way with lots of studies (again haha). Good luck with school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom
    Haven't seen you around for a while. I like designing environments and props to get away from all the anatomy stuff when I get too frustrated. Most of the time I discover weak points in my perspective knowledge which are responsible for making my figures look crappy. I hope to see you draw more tech stuff too. As for the train stuff, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sweni (: how things going ? nice updates, my friend. ur thumbnails are kinda sweet;D (e/) the lifedrawings too, for sure. plz keep posting, dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool figures and stuff. There is a good feel to it. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while again. I've been very busy with my school projects and finishing my last card for the Oz collectable card game. The site has been updated so check out the link in my signature.
    Now for the art. First ones are 3d models I did for the prototype of our chick game. It has been months since I last modeled something, so I messed up the geometry of the chick in the detailing stage a little bit, but it looked decent enough for the prototype. I ended up using aussiedeza's idea for the eyes, so thanks for the tip mate. The fat guy went way better except for the arms. The textures will probably get a second pass since they are still a little flat. It was really fun and I learned a lot doing these. I will defenitely model more of my concepts in the future. I also made a new render from the monkey island style canon I posted earlier because it was very dark. Then we have some hand and basic volumes studies, animal gestures, a vehicle concept and some pages from my new sketchbook. Enjoy and please leave your comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude you will have to help me with draw through perspective because that heavy transport is ace, i will be posting up some cars over the next week so if you could stop by tell me what i am doing wrong that would be awesome, Nice job on the 3d models i have done a bit of modeling before and one thing those models needs is eye sockets and eyeballs, just cut out a section edge loop and deform it and add a couple of spheres. that page of animal studies is dope as well keep it up mate, later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ausiedeza
    Thanks for dropping in my friend. I don't know why everyone seems to like that vehicle because I don't thinks it that great, but thanks for the compliments. As for drawing the tech stuff, it all comes down to drawing simple volumes, like the ones I posted above. Really put a lot of time into those. Then when drawing vehicles(or aircraft or anything) start with the big volumes and keep it simple. Doublecheck if the perspective and construction are working (something I wasn't carefull enough with on that vehicle) before you break down the big shapes in smaller ones. And of course make sure you have good reference pictures. I will drop in for sure to check those vehicles when you post them. As for the 3d models, I kept them simple because of time and what the game designer wanted. It can be frustrating to hold yourself back during projects, but we learned our lesson from being too ambitious with previous projects. Thanks for the tip anyway mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man you got a good handle on 3d space.
    You need to push that to the limit.

=================================
    Sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    humanNature6115
    Thanks for the compliment. Yes I put a lot of time into construction in 3d space. I hope to come near scott robertson's level someday or who knows, maybe even better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great things you've done.. But mostly I like the sketches more than the coloured versions.. They seem to have more intensity and be more pure, strong..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks brather. Sketches always have that special something that is hard to keep al the way to the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    of course i remember you man, how are yoiu doing??? Me, i'm ok, a bit too busy lately and unfortunately not with drawing it's getting busy at my work lately where i did most of my drawing and so do not have time for that anymore (for a while), thanks for the nice tips man, you always have good advice, i'll be sure to work on those points you mentioned.

you sb is looking really awesome dude, i'm really loving those environments and other designs, very good work. speak to you later man. cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice updates!

Really like your heavy armored transport vehicle design, only thing I see is the perspective on that front wheel looks a little off to me. Nice hand studies as well

Keep sharing,

Quinn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike
    I'm glad you still remember me. Just try to squeeze some time in your schedule to draw more my friend!

Quinn
    Now that you mention it the axis of the ellipses don't line up correctly with the perspective of the vehicle indeed. I just wasn't carefull enough. It was meant as a really quick sketch from a thumbnail in my other sketchbook but I ended up polishing it this far. I'll need to practice more with this kinda stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some sketches I did today during game design class and a study I'm working on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, there's good looking stuff in here, your line work has come improved a lot. Can you give the models higher polygon counts though?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max Challie
    Thank you! The models were meant to be low poly for the project, but I'll probably make some of my own later on because I really enjoy this 3d stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work on the study man, try and get some of those cast shadows edges harder and soften up the core shadows think contrast the softer you make say the fur on the trunk feel the the more hard the form on say the legs would feel with a sharp cast shadow, also try and bring in some more desaturated warm hues into the goat just before the form turns to shadow. hope that understandable and thanks for stopping by my sketchbook your advice is always helpful. keep rocking mate.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 198