21st Centaury Dad
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 21st Centaury Dad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

21st Centaury Dad

Hello all,

21st Centaury Dad is the title of an animation Iím currently making for my course at university. It follows the trials of a dad trying desperately to fit into the new age of technology. Iím creating it in the style of the 1940 Ė 1950ís civil defence videos.

For the character design I wanted to re-create the 40s/50s style of comic book illustration. Those of you who are familiar with Lichtensteinís pop art work during the 60ís will have a rough idea of what Iím aiming for.

Iím very new to digital illustration especially when it comes to human and cartoon form so I was hoping to get a helping hand and lots of critique.

Started on the dadís character last night and had to stop after 3 rather frustrating failed attempts.

Had another go this morning, and got something vaguely resembling the image in my head. But still a long way off.

I was hoping to get feedback and crits on every aspect and hopefully lots of tips and tricks about digital illustration.

Thanks in advance.

Sigs

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    animation is all about form and construction and so far your drawings look really flat. also simplify the contour of the dudes head. itll be easier to animate. suggest copping preston blair animation book if you havent already and go to john k's blogspot religiously cuz its chalk full of animation info. good start dude
    natev

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The shadow on the nose seems to indicate a light source on the right. The shadow on the neck seems to indicate a light source on the left? Be careful about shading...

My sketchbook is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get a picture of a famous person you want your dad-person to look like. Then you can 'borrow' from a reference better. Also get your hands on what 'style' you want to use. It helps if you know what direction your heading. Stick all those pictures to some cardboard and you can use that moodboard for a longer period. It'll get you back on track when you stray and inspire you to some new ideas later.

Right now, your dad seems to lack a bit of construction and bland. Razzles' advice on simplifying more is definitely a good one and john k. is great. Personally, i'd do more with heavy eyebrows and a bigger nose. Eyebrows, especially heavy ones, are the easiest way to switch expressions. A big nose makes people stand out more. Look around and see what you can come up with.

Ah, i just re read your intro again. Liechtenstein had a very classic look yes. Might wanna investigate in Kennedy's, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, Katherine Hepburn, Grace Kelly and all those 'dead, but graceful actors'. They can be good inspirations, during Liechtensteins time, Gable and Grant were the men people idealized. Oh... also check batman.

Loomis is also a good source. He was an advertising artist in the early 1900. He also carries that special look. Loomis wrote several books about how to approach drawing and indepth tutorials and discussions about art.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.