Charcoal
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Charcoal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Charcoal

I need about 4' by 6' for a long charcoal project, but cannot find charcoal paper this size. I have seen canvas used with charcoal, but because I haven't worked with canvas I don't know what the difference between canvas with and without primer, or how to fix it afterward. Any insight would be welcome, thanks.

not affiliated and not worth your time. dead as of april
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spazz,

Go to your local art dealer and ask. I believe you can customize paper from certain companies to fit your needs. I am almost 100% sure of this. If that doesn't work please let me know.

-Small Creatures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could buy a 4' x 8' piece of untempered masonite down at the home supply store (for about 8 or 12 bucks) and saw two feet off to make it 4x6. You would sand it, and then apply several coats of matte white house paint sanding between each coat. Put at least one coat on the back side and also paint the edges (so moisture doesn't get inside and warp it). I think this will give you a smooth white surface to start with that will be rigid rather than being a bit jiggly like a stretched canvas. It should accept the charcoal OK and then when the work is done you can use that spray fixative to fix it. The spray fixative is basically a clear acrylic preparation, and I have painted acrylics on house paint primer before without ill effect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dirka

yeah, ill check my 'local' dealer(too bad he is 150 mls away, lol). in regard to the matte paint on a board.... would that actually have tooth? I realize it would probably take the charcoal but would it just completely smear if i rubbed it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spazz,

Before driving that far do me a huge favor. Call dickblick. www.dickblick.com

That is where my mother gets alot of her stuff from and they are awsome. They might be able to help you, and in turn you wont have to drive. The less driving we all do, the closer we get to reversing these bogus weather patterns :: )

-Small Creatures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think for purposes of the charcoal and spray fixative, the house paint on board would have whatever tooth you want. You can make it rather bumpy and spiky by applying it with a roller and leaving it that way. You can make it flat but with lots of tiny grooves by only sanding with a rougher grade of sandpaper. You can make it really smooth by progressively sanding with ever finer grades of sandpaper. If you run into trouble finding the right paper or canvas, try preparing some practice surfaces on some piece of crap panel section from an abandoned piece of furniture before you commit to buying the masonite. That way you can find out for yourself whether you'll be able to work your style on it.

For me, charcoal smears on paper if I let my hand touch it, and being careful is the only way to avoid that before I use the fixative. I know the fixative will be fine on this surface, but you will need a lot because of the size of the work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazzoLemealn_99
    4' by 6' for a long charcoal project, but cannot find charcoal paper this size.
    You can't find 4 feet by 6 feet because it's an unusual size for art stores to sell (that's a monster of a paper).

You can inquire with your local printing shops if they can sell you sheets with that dimension (or cut some to size). Bring with you an actual charcoal paper so you/they can match it with their paper stock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yeah...

I emailed dickblick.com, they regretted to inform me they couldn't get that size but routed me to an art supply distributer from new england, waiting for a reply

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This post is in the wrong forum. . .

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.