Help me to improve, please.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help me to improve, please.

Hello. I am new to these forums and I hope that I will be welcome here. So here is my first post.

(I used photoshop to erase the smears caused by erasing when I responded to crits from another site)

Last edited by Rhiethreal; January 4th, 2007 at 08:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Welcome to the forums. there are defnitly a few azzholes on this site--but most people are freindly
    i like your comic book style alot--the outfit is cool too. I think his head is a bit small-esspecaily if he is wearing a helmet--it always better to sketch a head and then the helmet.
    i think you want him pointing straight ahead? if you are he is doing the nazi thing right now. you got the leg foreshortned nicely--but work with the arm. have some one hold thier out.
    over all-work on proportions etc. but its a neat peice.

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Snap...its oldschool Cobra Commander, except on steroids.

Anyways...his helmet is kinda skewed to the right. It also seems a like hes hunching, I would shift his head to the left a bit. I would also change the prespective of the helmet so that it looks more like hes looking off into the distance rather than his gazing at his own muscles.

The gun seems a bit like a toy compared to the badassness of this muscular Cobra Commander, and the barrel or silencer part doesnt match the perspective of the rest of the gun. Maybe thats just how the oldschool gun looked.

For the leg on the rock, I would raise his knee a bit and shrink the buldging muscle on this thigh. The forearm holding the gun is slightly thicker than the one giving commands.

Whats that round line in the corner? That better not be a Sun or a Moon. We usually leave that for elementary school kids.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First thing pop at me is the proportion. His hands are too big, and the head seems a tad small.
    It feels his right leg (our left) is being so straight it's bending backward a little, and I just don't think that's a very comfortable pose. Also his whole body is tilting too heavily to the left side of the paper, makes the whole character losing balance. Try make his right foot move back more so the right leg will be reaching out at "/" angle, see if that helps to balance the pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    proportions and anatomy aside, i think your composition is not very dynamic. Firstly, you have the figure taking up the whole canvas. and he is pointing to a dreaded corner which you never want cause the viewer will look at what he is pointing or (saluting) and if its in a corner it takes the viewer away. so scale him down. give him a background, where is he. battlefield, warner bros. stuido etc. . also remove the moon, very cliche and it makes the balance too much to the left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I will get started on trying to fix those things. The gun was just based on one of those plastic toy guns that came with the old G. I. Joe toys. Do you think I should change it to a real gun?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.