Onward toward education

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Onward toward education

In this post I will ask for advice, thanks for reading this.

About me, I just graduated a few weeks ago from high school. I, with my Mother and Father have decided for me to:
    1. work, 2. practice drawling(and 3D), 3. save up money, For about a year (or almost a year).
    So I have around a year to decide which school I want to go to, and apply. I have done lots of research (lots I have learned here) on schools.

I live in Delaware (near philidelphia...), and fond my self as an artist. I use to draw alot back before highschool, but durring highschool i went through vairous pc's and got into programming. So I took a break in drawling, so now i am getting back into it (yes guilty as charged!)

I am a self tought person, I teach my self well (MODS, maps, textuers, models, I love tutorials thanks!!). What I am looking for is an education that can better improve my artistic side, and 3-4 years is great, more time to practice before I have to prove my self the industry (gaming - Animation, modeling). And great teachers. Nothing beats a great teacher that can relate and help one solve problems.

The jinx of the schools that I am looking at:

Art Insitute of Philidelphia - Looked okay at best, wasnt impressed by the works of the students, and the drawlings boards looked dishevled, for $61,000+ for 3 or so years.

DCAD - A small rinkydink (i would gueses and call it a commuinty college) in wilimington de. No frills, but my best friend (who is going there) says its promissing. It is a good place to get the basics (also i can acclerate on my own pace).
    and after 2 or so years, I can trasfer to ringling, or pratt.

Bournemouth - I know the reputation of this top UK school is high, I know two artist that work for sony (ever hear of Primal and the getaway for PS2?) that went there. (of which I plan to viste this summer, whoo hoo!) Its a great school, and cost $13,000 (i think) for 3 years!!!!!!!!!

Ringling, and Savana Both are great schools by impression, and a viste would be nessisary. And selling of an organ...

I am not rich by anymeans, lol. But if a loan is what i have to do, then its okay, i have lots of confidnce in my self.

I hope you read all of this innnteeresing info, and can have some input. I would respect a contact VIA AIM if you so please- AIM : psx2tom

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out University of the Arts, it's a few blocks away from the art institute.

http://www.uarts.edu

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FOr me you should not wait a year because something always comes up that you have to wait another and another year before you go to school. No matter what loans will be taken out to go to a school. I think at your age it will be hard to save money for college and try to live a teenage life, but that's just my opinion. I would go straight to college and just deal with it. You can get a part time job and have fun with your classes at the same time. Also if you are really passionate about your art career why not just go for the top schools and think about the loan consequences later when you may have a decent job and can pay them off easily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are right, and I am thinking that way. Truth be told that I dont want to take a year off really. I plan to apply to schools next spring, or so. For the most part its too late, and my dad wants me to prove my self, and build credit.. something like that. I trust him. Its okay, I am self motivated, I would swim the atlantic and start school tommorow at bournemouth if I could! But this summer I will visite the schools, including bournemouth. Also I think it may better for me to goto school full time, but thats just me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

reccommending ringling

if you want to get in to animation go to ringling... hands down its going to be the most challenging and fulfilling program out there... and yes its expensive, nearly everyone who goes there comes out with loan debt but if you're good and confident that your skills are up to par with the rest of the applicants then you will have no problem paying the loans off afterward... I just graduated from ringling (so I am biased) its been less than 2 months since and I and two others are at sony pictures, several at rythm and hues, one at reel fx, several at various EA companies like maxis and tiburon... I'd say nearly half the class allready has a job not just the rock stars...

reasons not to go to ringling:

your a tech kid. (who cares about the buttons)
    you don't want to make your own film
    you can't draw
    you'd rather work on other people's ideas
    you're impressed by sgi's (I don't work on one now at sony)
    you think 12 hours a day being creative is just too much
    you're too good for criticism

Just look at the stuff on ringling's site
    its better than the stuff coming out of anywhere else hands down
    don't let financial concerns get in the way

just a thought
    later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.
    Hmm let me see this list,

your a tech kid. (who cares about the buttons)
    - nah, i like lots of things, not tech biased

you don't want to make your own film
    - I think of making films all the time (esp music videos when i hear music)

you can't draw
    - I can (But I need LOTS OF practice)

you'd rather work on other people's ideas
    - If they dont like mine, lol

you're impressed by sgi's (I don't work on one now at sony)
    - dunno.. SGI's never touched.

you think 12 hours a day being creative is just too much
    - 12 Hours of a passion is a good thing.

you're too good for criticism
    - I am my own worst critic

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.