The PaintOver Thread!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The PaintOver Thread!

WELCOME TO THE TPOT!

Yes, a TPOT! A brilliant idea from CGTalk. The point of this thread is not to just post any image you would post in a thread; Post a thread, and if you get to a point where you don't understand the flaws people describe to you, bring it here! I love doing paintovers, they are an educational experience for both ends. I learn so much with every one I do.
    Other users can feel free to give paintovers as well, but I would like to say, if you are painting over with things you think are just "maybe correct", It is better to suggest it in words. I have seen some people in the CC recently saying "The _____ looks fine to me." When the ____ is actually totally wrong. This is BAD if nobody comes by to correct it, and I don't want that behavior to carry over into paintovers.

Another reason for me starting this thread, is that a number of times I will spend 20-30 minutes on a paintover for someone who A) Doesn't listen or B) Never checks the thread again. It pisses me off to no end, so I hope this will rectify the situation. Also, it's easier for people to come to this thread than for me to fish through all the CC threads.

All levels of completed work (except for extremley initial sketches) are encouraged for critique; Personally I run through the CC looking for prime candidates that I can do fast and effectivley; Those things are-
    Black and white lines, or flat colors with slight rendering. Generally if a picture is readable it is easy to do a paintover.

Composition is an IMPORTANT aspect of illustration. If you just can't seem to paint-over a piece correctly because of it's setup, I highly encourage a quick thumbnail of a better composition.

Let's have someone start us off then, and let the learning begin! =)
    (Admins, I hope this is a reasonable thread. )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kudos to you for starting this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, lovely idea^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant idea! I'll be bookmarking this for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome!!

Already bookmarked Justin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TPOT?

Tea pot?

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, sometimes I'm a little tea pot.

(man, someone needs to toss up a test subject.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was really hoping this would take off.

I am, in fact, still hoping.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So was I... So much school work I have nothing to contribute art wise right now, so I check in here alot to see if anyone has posted..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Bookmarked, and hopefully sticky soon Hope somone post something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great idea. I love doin paintovers cus I can leave out the part where you gotta think...just go and change what you feel. Got this one Bookmarked and lookin on my harddrive for things for ya, lets all exchange our never finished pieces

€it2: ya, the topic was tripod. Well, okya then, i change the pic...if you dont feel its fitting there. Plane crash in an ice cave. Prob is that the cave doesnt look like ice...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nuki; January 20th, 2007 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see a trident... are you sure the topic wasn't Tripod?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trident

noun
    a spear with three prongs

(tri) meaning 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I thought I remembered you starting this up once already Justin?

Edit: nuki, I have no clue what to do with that @_@. You haven't started on 3/4ths of it. And Thinking isn't a bad thing you know.

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; January 19th, 2007 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    Hmm, I thought I remembered you starting this up once already Justin?

Edit: nuki, I have no clue what to do with that @_@. You haven't started on 3/4ths of it. And Thinking isn't a bad thing you know.
    I thought I was having deja vu at first haha... I think he started this thread up along time ago to with his other account..... Hopefully this one will stay for quite some time.. Now justin has more knowledge and alot of other people will be able to help.

Seth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    You haven't started on 3/4ths of it. And Thinking isn't a bad thing you know.
    Me was referring to the part where you gotta think about the Topic and content of the picture - I now see that my formulation was just waiting for being used against me
    So you would prefer something more tight with less freedom, Ok. I'll give it one last try. This time something I really need crits on because it will be worked out to something finished. Please scroll up for the pic - I edited my last post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope this helps

Last edited by seth1; December 16th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mh, it definately opened my eyes for the problem...theres too few ambient light and the blue needs to be more cold + the light be smaller. Great overpaint, dunno if i will go for such a high saturation though (might be my screen boosting the sat. as well)
    thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may have one for you guys here. I'm not sure if it's beyond the scope of this thread, but I figured I'd give it a try.

So I've been trying to figure out a good way to color greyscale images in Photoshop. You see, I paint with a mouse, which is really hard to work with for anything detailed or complex. So instead I want to make a detailed inking by hand, scan it in, and then apply color in Photoshop.

I've got three images here: the greyscale, my first attempt to color it a month ago (colors on overlay layers on top of the greyscale), and a recent attempt (greyscale on two layers, top is 50% opacity multiply and then a overlay layer).

My main problem is either loss of saturation or the colors come out screwy (e.g., with the multiply+overlay, if I put a brown down in any white area, it becomes yellow).

Specifically, this is an issue when I want to make the shaded area some sort of blue instead of black, or maybe make the light areas slightly orange to reflect sundown. Either I loose too much saturation to do this, or the colors come out so wonky that when I click to paint I really don't know what's going to come out.

So, I was wondering how you guys might do it. I know it's possible to color a greyscale image real nicely, but I'm currently at a complete loss as to how.

Oh, and yes, I know in the third image he looks like a clown. Because the colors were coming out strange, I figured I'd have some fun with it.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to make it more clear what I'm trying to do, I uploaded an image of the color scheme that I want (first attachment). Now, how can I get all the texture and detail of the inked piece into this without losing saturation or the colors coming out screwy?

Best results I'm getting are with the greyscale image on top as "Luminosity" (second attachment). But even then it still looks a bit washed out.

Hmm... maybe this is more appropriate for the Photoshop forum... if it isn't at all appropriate for here, let me know so I can delete my posts and ask over there. I just really want this thread to take off, so I'm scraping the barrel for material.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You set the black and white layer to "Multiply", and then make a layer below it. That is where you put your colors. (The bottom layer, "Layer 1", should be Normal. This is your "Color layer". The top layer should be the inks (no magic wanding necessary, just the black and white stuff all there) set to "Multiply")

If you post the original ink/wash stuff then I can more properly demonstrate for you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin Oaksford - I've tried out the Multiply setting. Works great for lineart, but when working with a wash like this it gets really dark.

The original was the greyscale I posted, maybe you wanted a larger version? If so, here you go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH! I somehow missed number 20.

The reason you are having problems is because the way that works is through values.

You put a new layer over the black and white, set to "Color".

But look at this pic. Do you see any pure white? Nope.. Do you see any pure black on the face? generally no. You need to have very even values for the "Color" mode to work effectivley. So using this pic, you cannot, and even after my change you still won't be able to use it effectivley, just because of this type of picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin Oaksford - Hmm... turns out exactly the same as when I put the greyscale at "Luminosity".

I see what you mean about pure whites and blacks though. I loaded up IronBrush's image into photoshop and messed around. No matter what kind of wierd ass color I tried to come up with, it blended perfectly when I applied it.

My image, on the other hand, doesn't work quite as well. I'll keep this in mind next time.

Maybe instead of starting with black and then adding a value of grey, I'll start with light grey and build up on it over time. That may work better.

Thanks a lot! Now that I have an idea about what I'm doing, maybe I can make something come of it.

Last edited by Anid Maro; January 24th, 2007 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The PaintOver Thread!

second post here ever!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anid, I would try doing a drawing that is only black and white and scanning that in, then adding colors and shading under the multipy layer. Looking at the gray washes you did on your original, I don't see any strokes so detailed that they would be difficult to duplicate with the mouse. Only the black line work is detailed.

Or is that what you just said....?

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NathanLong - Nope, I did the greys in ink as well. I was asking not because I'm particularly concerned about this image, but because I want to figure out the best way about doing my ThunderDome submission.

I adjusted the levels until it was just black and white and messed around a bit. Found I can work on the blacks by putting it on screen and then whites on multiply. Using that combination isn't working out too badly, and I can get texture through the brushes in Photoshop. So that may be the route I go. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anid Maro- I don't know what you are trying to do with this pic, but if you want to have complete control over the image you have to do it via channels.

In case you dont know the procedure, its as follows:
    once you have the image open in PS, make sure its in its own layer. On the layers window click the channels tab. You will see that there are four layers labeled; RGB, Red, Green, Blue. Duplicate the blue layer, and then inverse it (control+ i) Click the layers tab again. Delete the image layer you have and create a new blank layer. Having the new layer selected, go to the menu- Select/load selection-. On the channels drop down menu, choose "Blue copy" and hit ok. Your layer is now filled with marching ants, you can then fill it with the paint bucket. OR you can play around with the brush colorizing it as you wish. Deselect the image, now you see the results, if you are not happy with the results you can always go back and load the selection again, and voila! you can change the colors via pixels as you wish.

This is done via channels, just to show the difference from the above.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro
    Anid Maro- I don't know what you are trying to do with this pic, but if you want to have complete control over the image you have to do it via channels.

In case you dont know the procedure, its as follows:
    once you have the image open in PS, make sure its in its own layer. On the layers window click the channels tab. You will see that there are four layers labeled; RGB, Red, Green, Blue. Duplicate the blue layer, and then inverse it (control+ i) Click the layers tab again. Delete the image layer you have and create a new blank layer. Having the new layer selected, go to the menu- Select/load selection-. On the channels drop down menu, choose "Blue copy" and hit ok. Your layer is now filled with marching ants, you can then fill it with the paint bucket. OR you can play around with the brush colorizing it as you wish. Deselect the image, now you see the results, if you are not happy with the results you can always go back and load the selection again, and voila! you can change the colors via pixels as you wish.

This is done via channels, just to show the difference from the above.
    !!!

I've never understood channels before. I knew that there were four, Red, Green, Blue, and RGB, but I never knew how to manipulate them, so I've always just ignored that tab.

I tried out what you explained, and it allowed me to freely color my image without any layer mode shenanigans but still retain the texture and different values of the original image.

Many thanks for explaining how to do something with that channels tab!

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.