Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro
    Anid Maro- I don't know what you are trying to do with this pic, but if you want to have complete control over the image you have to do it via channels.

In case you dont know the procedure, its as follows:
    once you have the image open in PS, make sure its in its own layer. On the layers window click the channels tab. You will see that there are four layers labeled; RGB, Red, Green, Blue. Duplicate the blue layer, and then inverse it (control+ i) Click the layers tab again. Delete the image layer you have and create a new blank layer. Having the new layer selected, go to the menu- Select/load selection-. On the channels drop down menu, choose "Blue copy" and hit ok. Your layer is now filled with marching ants, you can then fill it with the paint bucket. OR you can play around with the brush colorizing it as you wish. Deselect the image, now you see the results, if you are not happy with the results you can always go back and load the selection again, and voila! you can change the colors via pixels as you wish.

This is done via channels, just to show the difference from the above.
    !!!

I've never understood channels before. I knew that there were four, Red, Green, Blue, and RGB, but I never knew how to manipulate them, so I've always just ignored that tab.

I tried out what you explained, and it allowed me to freely color my image without any layer mode shenanigans but still retain the texture and different values of the original image.

Many thanks for explaining how to do something with that channels tab!

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Carnifex - Sorry if my paintover is kinda crude, working with a mouse and I didn't blend... so yeah...

Anyhow, if you're trying to get a sunset/sunny feeling, I'd say throw in some yellow/orange into the highlights. I only worked on the body, but the hair could use some too.

Also, the addition of a less purpleish/pinkish hue to her highlights seems to make her skin look a little less "alien" to me. Although maybe it's the lack of pupils in her eyes that makes me think that.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    great idea. I hope this goes well.

Thanks
    Hey Carni, missed this from earlier.

Not sure if you meant her to be "preggers" or not, but didn't seem like it from your text. So that was the first to go. The defining the difference between full light and shadow, color edits and tweaks. Painting of more form and highlights. Simplified the hair as I think, if you are going to draw each strand of hair then it will look odd unless you draw an equal amount of detail throughout the figure - and I don't think you want to draw each freckle. trimmed the back and butt a bit inwards trying to achieve the proper twist. Extended the arm and changed it's position a bit. (Might need someone to PO my PO ) Calmed the background down quite a bit, I think it's good at times to have a chaotic background, here however I thought that it was really hurting your value range - plus it was simpler for me to just smooth it over haha. I dunno what else.

Hope this helps a little

Attachment 84234Attachment 84235

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    waaagh? how do you get that smooth look,if i may ask? looks so much better than mine. (i'm guessing brush settings)
    though,actually i wanted her to be preggers,sorry for the confusion. background was meant as some sort of swirling clouds.
    thanks alot for this paintover though (anid maro aswell),i see some huge faults on mine that need correcting now.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Try using your normal round brush, keep opacity at 100%. Pressure to size (whatever minimum size you prefer) pressure to opacity and flow as well (in other settings). Use a lower flow if you are blending or want a slower and smoother application of paint.

I really don't like opacity 99.9% of the time. It's ugly and leaves too much digital aftertaste.

Man I must have been tired last night, her hips and ribs are so messed up So's the rear arm

Thanks

brush settings,

someone please help me with this. I am having difficulty with the brush. its a pain in the ass. I am using a round hard brush set to pen pressure in other dynamics. However it doesnt seem to give me the look im going for. i want it to look more painterly. right now it looks retarded. im also using a grpahire 3, i'm still saving up for an intuos. .?? thanks in advance

sam

Thanks
    So is this only for ppl who use a painting program...

I was wondering if you can do a redline on a prelim....not sure if this is what this thread is for...

The PaintOver Thread!
    thx in advance

Thanks
    Hey FallenLondon, here is something that helped me with character poses. I would draw grids and to help the characters look more balanced. I personally don't give the women that much tone, only when I'm painting I think, but that's just me. Also draw those perspective lines and wrap the clothes, boots and braclets in the direction the body is going, wrap them around really good, exaggerate! Show some attitude through the pose as well, is the character cocky? is she shy? manifest the characters emotion.
    The PaintOver Thread!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by zao75231; February 12th, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
    Check Us Out!!!

Unbreakable

zao75231

couplandrob.daportfolio.com

Thanks
    fantastic thread~!

Thanks
    I really appreciate what you guys are doing here!

I just started blocking in this picture and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I know there's something off with the pespective, but I just have no idea how to fix it. Maybe you guys could spot what's wrong with your fresh eyes? Any help would be much appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Hey,
    A few things need to be fixed

In exapple 1 you can see that your lines arent coming off 1 clear vanishing point. ( start with a point way off in the distance depending on the angle you want the objebts to be scewed at. and draw all lines heading that direction off that one point. See note on drawing for other details.

In exaple 2 you can see if the lines continue off they dont meet up.

What I do and I dont know if theres an easier way. I'm sure if you want to do the math you could..but love art hate math..so I do it this way...Seems like a lot but goes really fast once youve done it a couple times.
    ---- Follow these steps
    1.create a canvas much much bigger than what you want your final work to be
    2.select rectangle marque
    3.on the tool bar accross where is says Style...swith it from normal to fixed aspect ratio
    4.enter the width and height you want your final piece to be
    5.Now make a box using rectangle marque too in middle of page
    6.Now select rectangle tool and draw a box over the marching ants you just made.
    7.You now have your final page size on a canvas large enough to extend vanishing points out to.
    8.Once you have the basic layout and you know everything lines up. Just select the area where we determined final picture size earlier. Cmd+X (cuts image) Cmd+N (opens create new image box, which will automatically be set at the size you just cut so hit enter) Cmd+V paste image.
    9.You now have a perspectivly correct image the size you want your final product to be.

Hope it helped a bit..Im hungry gonna go eat!

Thanks
    i dont see anything wrong with the perspective. in real life tables and rugs dont sit perfectly lined up.

Thanks
    THis should show you where you were going a little wrong. =) G'luck Kat!

Thanks
    Thanks so much guys! Maybe tables and rugs don't line up perfectly in real life, but I wanted the picture to have a harmony to it. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I took all of the suggestions to heart and put the picture on a very large canvas so I could make all of the lines go to the same two points. It was worth it! The first image illustrates what I discovered from that exercize (cropped of course). The second image shows the quick corrections I made. I'm still a little worried now because I think the girl is at a different angle from the environment.

I am definately on the learning curve with this piece! Well, thanks again I'mma go paint now!

portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast