New to CA.org, have a pressing question.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

New to CA.org, have a pressing question.

Hey everybody,

My name is Kyle and I'm new to this site. I'm 15 and living in Santa Monica, CA. Anyways, I'm really interested in conceptual art and I'm taking a pre-college program at RISD this summer. Anyways, I need to know if Industrial Design is the same as concept art. I want to be a Concept Artist for a video game company and I really need to know if the pre-college major I chose is the right one. I'm very enthusiastic about design and I want to pursue it as a career. I know this a stupid question, but I would really appreciate it if I got a response.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Industrial design is interesting. I dont know a ton about it, just what ive read about the major and from a few pros who did it. Feng Zhu was an Industrial design major i believe.

Bassically it can be used as a subset of concept art. It focuses on designing mechanical and automotive products from what i can tell. Basically look into it if you want to design Mechs vehicles and futuristic mechanical enviros.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    First of all, be careful, especially when talking to people at an art school, not to say "conceptual art" when you mean "concept art." They're two very different things.
    Industrial design isn't the same as concept art, but it can be part of it. If you are most interested in vehicles, buildings, and other man-made objects it may be the way to go. If you're more interested in figures, storytelling, and traditional drawing skills, then illustration may be a better fit.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Okay, I see. Well, what about environments? I have an interest in environmental design and man-made design. Would environments be part of Industrial Design or Illustration?

Thanks
    landscapes would be more illustration. For futuristic manmade stuff (like Courasant from Star Wars) it could be helpful to have an ID background but I wouldnt focus on it for that.

Thanks
    Industrial art teaches more about surfaces, materials and functionality when it comes to drawing. Illustration teaches a little more about the figure and storytelling. If I were you thinking about going into doing concept art, I would focus on these two programs and take as many classes outside of these two majors as well.

The more rounded of an artist you are will only enhance your skills and chances of landing a job after college.

Thanks
    Alright, thanks for the tips. I need to focus on Industrial Design and Illustration, all the while taking as many other courses as I can. For the pre-college program at RISD, I'm gonna take the Industrial Design course. Since I'm a Sophomore going into Junior, I still have another year to take the program. Thank you all very much.

New Blood. New Battles.

Thanks
    Great timing for you. The worst case scenario is you find out you really don't like it (you can always say you tried it and you move on from there) and the best case scenario is you really find out you have a knack for it!

Congrats and good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    This thread should probably get merged into this one.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Hey there! I'm a RISD Illustration alumn and would be happy to answer any more questions you have about the school - with regards to pre-college, what you decide as your concentration for this summer won't make or break you, but you won't be doing character design, environments or creature design in either ID or Illustration for pre-college. If you decide you want to focus more in illustration and you pick RISD as your school, I can tell you that the Illustration department (last time I checked 2 years ago...) doesn't have a lot of industry-related concept art courses yet. There are some 3D modelling courses and there is a excellent character design course taught by Shanth Enjeti, though I think it's exclusively for animation majors now. Booooo.

Anyhoo, best of luck with whatever choice you make, make sure you hit up Meeting Street Cafe while you're there... best roast turkey sammiches EVER.

Thanks
    Hey. Cool, I too have applied for the RISD precollege. Mailed my app yesterday. I signed up for Illustration. I figure that at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter at our level of schooling. Learning to see and draw is probably more important. Oh. And portfolio to get into college. I'll see you there... if you know, we both get in.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.