Art: old traditional portriats
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: old traditional portriats

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

old traditional portriats

i did these all in the same night, with the same picture:
    i have leaned alot .. i love looking back at old work.
    please feel free to post your old work. i would like to see androids first of the many. was there any before conceptart?

shown in the order they were drawn:

kutter - my oldest step bother

kialee - my oldest step sister

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it innteresting to see this side of you, wow how you have changed. I have alot of old ones i should make an archive and post them. I didnt know there would be any intrest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i feel there is nothing more to say - but i had to post something;
    thanks for the response andrew - always thankful for you taking the time, i was begining to think the 80 views the post got was all me.

there is definatly an intrest in seeing your older work. i would love to see other professional's childhood drawings as well if they would.

promethius showed us a picture he had drawn when he was little and re-drew it - i thought that was awesome. i dont have much of my old work.
    anything other than the main post in this subforum get next to no traffic, while the self portrait post is exploding a page a day.

-killing.crayons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you got seen, didntcha?

Didn't know what to comment, I guess. You weren't asking for critique or anything I like the mouth studies very much, and I can see that your good "building" skills have history to them. Unfortunately I have just moved, and I took no older stuff with me! Suffice to say, I've made quantum leaps the last two years... :cool: *blush*

And I agree, it's always somewhat reassuring to see the Great's pulling out their old ones - I often forget that they came from somewhere

Portfolio: www.torsteinnordstrand.com
    Working on / for: Age of Conan / Funcom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow.. i'm verrry impressed.. thats amazing work..

I can see some guides or lines you have drawn. How do you use those guides to help you in sketching? or.. How do you know where to put those guide lines?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thenetbox:
    that is a tough question to answer. i cant remember everything to those drawings sense it has been so long ago. i think i drew those in 98 or 99, i was near my first senior year in my room with a mirror i found in the hallway of my house.
    its hard to remember my stratagey, and like most young fine artists, i had some weird raw thing about my art that was unorthadoxed, wild and extremely expresive making it harder to define my meaning behind each line.
    the idea that i was a better artist four years ago still pokes at me, which i think i did get rusty from a two year nothing where i had started to party and had no direction after highschool. i feel i had gotten back to par with my drawing skills after my first quarter at the art institute and that makes me happy.

first off that night i was in the zone, i had done all of those picture that night each taking easily over an hour. i never fully understood the bone or muscle structures of the face, honestly there are still parts of the skull i cant picture. so what i did was gesture the largest of the shapes, my head my neck. then i would begin to define the outline of my head and use that to measure everything else in. i would set in landmarks starting at the edge and loosly cracking a line across the face. instead of chizzling shapes from the face out i cocentrated on a single implied lines shape and direction - and dragged it across. then crossed it with another. these where very light and were darkened with an auto-balance. it was a personal experiemental kind of thing where as long as i understand what line means what, it matters.
    i do remember that on the full portriat, on the mouth page, i had noticed the diamonds or x's under my eyes and defined the guide lines a little more because they looked intresting. with these i drew more than what i saw, but what i was thinking.

nordt:
    i knew people where watching
    its nice to be acknowledged every now and again, ecspecially when all you want to do is walk inside .. damn automatic doors.

-kp

franz Guest
    Wow, very nice, I really dig the mouth studies! I'm having the biggest trouble with learning value and shading right now and I can't even begin to grasp how you went about rendering these lips.. :eek:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.