Art: SCad Grad Progress Thread

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

SCad Grad Progress Thread

Hello, everyone. I have been lurking here for a while now, and I finally decided to post some of my work. I just graduated from SCAD (3D major) and I feel like I've neglected my 2d skills way too much. I've been drawing every day for a few weeks now, off and on before that. Mostly I'm trying to learn anatomy, and to try to draw more volumetrically. Most of the time I end up drawing front and profile faces, very flat looking. Here are some of the better sketches I've done lately. I will post more as I draw it in hopes of finding some guidance here.

I think I do pretty well when drawing from life or with other reference, but when I try to draw from imagination I get very frustrated.

Oh, and it almost goes without saying, but I was inspired to do this my the amazing feats of MindcandyMan and Android, proving that there really IS time enough in every day to draw.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Gran; September 10th, 2003 at 02:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    your hands and feet are really good. you might want to practice face drawing to get proportions down and all i can say is draw draw draw. this is what im currently learning. the more you do the better! keep it up!

Thanks
    thanks for the encouragement endregan.

here is a SP I just did from a picture. I sketched it out first and then painted by grabbing colors from the photo in PS. Is that cheating?

Thanks
    Here is what I did today and yesterday.

Jeff

Thanks
    Well here is what I drew today. Man, I have to start using pen more because the ones in pencil don't show up well in the digital pictures. maybe I just need better lighting. Anyway, I wanted to start concentrating on actually putting clothing on my figures... and details and accessories. I always just draw nudes and musclemen. Anyway:

Thanks
    Here are some more sketches that I did today. I was thinking maybe I should have made this thread in the sketchbook section...that's basically what it is, just my sketchbook online. anyway...see you tomorrow.

Comments highly welcome.

Thanks
    Here's another self portrait I did. I tried to emulate Androids rushed-looking, odd colored style on some of his SPODs. I think maybe I should have sketched it first, but this time I tried just painting from the beginning and picking all my own colors.

Thanks
    Your stuff is looking good, keep it up.
    And for the SP, it generally isnt reccomended to "grab colors"..next time try it from life!

Thanks
    hey, thanks a lot for commenting amphex. Ya, I figured as much... that portrait came out too good, too easily. And I don't think I learned much from it. Today I did one with no reference, and only one color (basically greyscale but more fun).

Thanks
    here's the DSG I did today. It's the first one I've done because I'm usually afraid mine will suck. So I was right. Maybe more thought in the design would help. I tried to make it look like you're lookin up at him from below and the light is coming from above.

Oh, and I found a life drawing session in my hometown every tues and thurs. YAY! finally. So I'll be posting what I draw there as well, either late tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by Jeff Gran; July 2nd, 2003 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    Life Drawing:

Started with 2 minute poses. hmm. warmup

2. getting better, still 2 minutes

3. I think i must have drawn the breasts without really looking at the shape of the curve.

4. argh. 2 for the left, 5 for the right. I have a chronic problem of making the femur too short. no, she wasn't a midget.

5. 5min. I had trouble with this pose so I started again and did it real fast, on the right.

6 10 mins. very interesting pose to draw.

7 the paper is 11x14 and the scanner is 8x11.

8. some kid let me borrow some charcoal so I shaded this one with it after the pencil sketch. it turned out to be my favorite for the night.

9. fell apart here. my proportions are off. she turned out looking old but she was young and very skinny. I think the legs are too long and the tummy to wide.

I would love to hear suggestions on what to concentrate on next time. Thanks for looking and reading.

Thanks
    I think I do pretty well when drawing from life or with other reference, but when I try to draw from imagination I get very frustrated
    welcome to the club!

As for your life drawings - check out my sketchbook (in the Daily Sketchbbok section) and see how even a short amount of lessons can lead to progress: just carry on!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement, Jester! You have really improved since the beginning of your thread.

Here is my DSG for today: "Arrival". wow look at me I did an environment. I think the sense of space works OK, but I don't like the colors that much...too saturated maybe. It took about 40 minutes.

Thanks
    And my sketchbook page today:

I was pretty pleased with how this dragon head came out. It looks like it occupies space. I think the perspective is off on the right eye...not sure.

Thanks
    Here is my self portrait for today. Painted from a picture in photoshop, but I forced myself not to use the eyedropper for the colors...

Thanks
    wow your progression so far is really good! like the sp u recently did. it is really good. keep it up bud

Thanks
    Jeff, the dragon head is really nice - the eye that troubles you is a tiny bit too small IMO. Good job on the sp - you achieved a great depth in the eye area. The nose looks a bit weird on the top right edge.

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Here are sketches from the 3rd.

Thanks
    here's a sketch painting I did while trying out some new brushes I downloaded for PS. I was thinking about MCM's new magic card (undead warchief) while I was doing it. Maybe I should add a headdress or something and finish it off for that... I kinda like how it's looking so far.

Thanks
    mr . gran i share your pain. We all have to work thru it together to conquer the world with our art.

Thanks
    hi Jeff,

Congrats on that Dragon head. It looks really great maybe except the eye, that you've mentoined. Also your last Selfportrait looks pretty good around the eyes! Just keep on drawing! You've allready posted a lot of stuff and practice will not only help drawing from imagination.

antihero

PS: What about some basic proportion studies? if once learned it would help alot when drawing from imagination...

» hitchhiking... (progress thread)
    » circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    thanks for the comments Stephen and antihero. I've been discouraged lately, but I guess I just get impatient sometimes and wish I was improving faster. It's good to hear from other artists that have been through this... I don't have any friends that are artists.

Good idea about the proportional studies. I ordered the complete bridgman book online the other day, so I can't wait to start drawing out of that. I do have a loomis book on my HD, so I'll do some studies from that and post later today.

Thanks
    SPOD:

Thanks
    So here are my sketches from the last two days. first are some proportion studies/copies after Loomis, and then some attempts at figures from imagination.

Thanks
    Those Proportion Sketches look quite good for a first attempt. I think it's good that you ordered that bridgeman book. You've surely heard a lot about Loomis, in the good and the bad way. The longer i do some other than Loomis Studies i agree with the people criticizing him. His Method gives a good sense for the action and how it gets caught in a drawing, but his anatomy teachnings are... banal i think.
    Seems like i'm missing the topic... sorry for that. The selfportrait looks also nice. The two cheeks look very different in their form, but maybe that's you... or me
    As in your last Selfportrait the color choice for the skin is pretty good. Keep on it, because patience and practice will not only improve your drawing from imagination!

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting, antihero. actually it's not my first attempt at proportion studies... but I do think I could still use some practice. Those dang femurs...always too short (see pic for today). The more I look at that last SP the more wonky it looks. One iris is huge compared to the other, the nose is offcenter I think, and ya, the cheeks don't quite look the same. I should map it out better before I start painting next time.

Check it out everyone I did some character designs. I'm proud even if they're kinda generic. I can see I need some work on drapery. For the robot I was trying to base the pieces off of anatomy.

Thanks
    My newest self-portriat. This one I drew from the mirror, with only one lamp on, above and to the right. It was fun. It's a pretty good likeness, but not perfect. People who I showed it to said I got the eyes right but the jaw and nose are a little off.

Thanks
    Life drawing today. These guys were cool, they posed fighting each other (but I came late so I missed most of those because they were the gestures). I was satisfied tonight with my proportions for the most part, I just need to get faster so I can spend more time on the shading I think...

Thanks
    Those last ones look pretty good! In the fourth one, the shading is also pretty good. Keep up those sketches!

The latest SPOD shows a good proportion and a nice shading as well... You're doing good!

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    i like that last coloured self-portrait a lot. although there are quite some flaws (like that iris for example, you mentioned it already), you managed to maintain a great depth. it feels pretty 3-dimensional...
    those loomis-sketches are pretty good, too. you are able to get them into shapes pretty well. when i tried to get myself loose from the front-and-side-sight which is given by loomis in his book, i had big problems, since i just wasn't able to put it into "real" 3d-space. you're doing good, though.
    the character designs you did afterwards look a little bit flat again, though. maybe try to not to put them in full front sight, but try drawing them in a kind of 3/4 sight? yeah, i know, it's easy to say that but it's incredible hard to do this
    your lifedrawings improved, too...keep going!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.