Thanks
    Follows
    Following

from Tempt the Messiah - Part 3

Parts 1,2,and 3 are up.
    http://home.windstream.net/themessiah

It was suggested that I present a whole page, rather than 1 picture. For part 3 (I used photos from the public domain to make the various "kingdoms"). I struggled with my colors in part 3 - I think you guys call it color harmony, or lack thereof.

Also, you may find the second picture group interesting. This shows progress images (zoom in). I don't mind showing the photo here, because you can't see my friends face. His nose points out - I had to change that, so that it points down (like a "Hebrew nose" - if there be such a thing). And his forehead is to big and so I softened that feature. I lengthened his hair and beard as well. My wife is the devil model - I change her features as well.

Any meaningful feedback about the comic will be appreciated, and I will try to return the favor. I hope you guys can help me as much as you did on the first part . AND I ALREADY KNOW I NEED TO CHANGE THE FONT - JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CHANGE IT TO YET.
    CA.org rocks!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by g.owen; January 18th, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
    "I HEAR THUNDER IN THE DESERT."
    www.deadcameforth.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am focusing on the character there in the progress images group, so you can see that I draw and color/paint it. As a reminder, the backgrounds (ar at least the ground) are often photos that I paint directly on and then apply filters to so that it integrates with the characters.

I should have put another thumbnail of Christ in the progress images that showed how an earlier version was too "cool" in color, thusly it did not look right in the desert. A kind artist in this forum told me about that and I fixed it.

And you guys have mentioned that the word balloons are distracting. But to me, it helps with eyeflow...maybe I am wrong about that.

Last edited by g.owen; January 1st, 2007 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just not really agreeing on how 'white' Jesus looks...
    And it still bugs me on how photographic everything is...
    But ah well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it

id shrink ["if thou" "therefore wilt" "worship me"] to 1 or at most 2 vignettes, and look for a pose that says it all. i looks kind of choppy to me like that

btw, the name of your blog sounds like some new metal song name lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have issues with how over-dramatic everything is. If this were played out in real life the way you've shown it, everyone would act like William Shatner impersonators.

I'm also going to second the issue of Jesus being so white. He was a carpenter, therefore would've been outside a lot and rather dark. Secondarily, he was of the peasant class in the Middle East, which make him actually very dark.

Lastly, why would you do a whole comic with just photos? Most people wouldn't be interested in reading a photo storyboard. Use the photos as reference, not for painting over. Draw the frames, then paint them, it'll just look better and much more interesting. Right now it looks like an "Art Nouveau filter" with shoddy compositing. However, all in all, you're getting there. I would just rethink your approach and make it something with a little more substance.

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tempt the Messiah - the blog that is not a new heavy metal song

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzion
    I have issues with how over-dramatic everything is. If this were played out in real life the way you've shown it, everyone would act like William Shatner impersonators.

Lastly, why would you do a whole comic with just photos?
    Thats funny. Me and my wife are William Shatner fans. I can't wait to tell her that. I am an insensitive man and know little about emotions and drama. My wife acted those scenes/poses out (she was my devil reference). She is very animated. Perhaps it is over done.

And I agree with everyone on the skin issue.

Finally, to answer your question about the photos....I use photos for reference because I have been unhappy with my art for some time. So, I decided to have the comic acted out while I took photos and I use the photos as reference. It was my intention to come as close to the photos as I possibly could with the art (with certain adjustments to facial characteristics). I know that the camera yields a reference that is limited - I guess its kind of like looking at something with one eye. Anyway, I wanted to learn some things, and I think I have. And I have learned a lot from the artists here.

I am a law enforcement officer by trade. This is just a hobby. It took me about 2 or 3 years to do it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well then, by that rationale, I'd say you're off to a very fine start indeed. But be careful with sticking too closely to the photos, they will come off as being traced. I think people are much more drawn to works that show the artist's hand due to the imperfections. There's nothing wrong with photo ref, just don't let yourself be a slave to it. Keep it up though!

Peace,

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.