Death of King Henry II

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Death of King Henry II

Did some research on this event and desided to make a painting. He took a splinter of wood from a lance that went though his eye-and out his ear. Its a real shame because the guy who killed him was his own guardsman-and after all this he went off to start religous conflicts and gets beheaded by the French=who he used to serve. This one event messed up most of europe for a long time. There is more to the story-but yeah. this is acrylic on board-done is a few hours. The blue and yellow knight is obviosly king Henry- and the black knight is the guardsman. I used to swoop repeatidly to draw the eye around the peice. thanks for viewing

well its been moved again--IDK why. how is this not finished?? because its not photoshop??

Death of King Henry II

Last edited by Sirkenneth; January 1st, 2007 at 04:24 PM.
    [CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arm of the black knight needs to be defined more; right now it's just kind of blobby.

As it stands, the piece is pretty good, but I think in a lot of areas you could continue to push it. Just keep on refining things.

_wil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this'll probbably seem a bit nerdy but you could have found armour from the correct dates and even his actual armour with a quick google, what you have painted is very generic movie tournament armour.

well that's all I've got that differs from the comments above.

cheerio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now i see that the lance is not correct.
    on the right side it is thicker, than on the other one.
    Death of King Henry II

Last edited by EmiR; January 2nd, 2007 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guy--yeah i noticed the lance was off--but havent had the time to fix that. thats for the diagram though-that helps alot.
    any ideas on how to emphasis the arm more-Im trying to keep from highlighting a whole lot. working with my compostion i could darken the shield more i guess.
    and paddy-your defnitly correct-i was being realy lazy and failed to strech myself away from the few refrence shots i had. I should have been more on top of that=-but I figured i could get away with it. obviosly not
    thanks guys

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 16,678 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirkenneth
    I should have been more on top of that=-but I figured i could get away with it. obviosly not
    Any time you think you can get away with it, you can't.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heheheh....... my first thought had to do with anacronistic armour too.. I researched the same period, for Eleanor of Aquitaine. If your topic is Henry. he seems sort of anonymous and shoved off into the corner of the piece. It seems to be more about the guardsman. Use some narrative tools to center the attention firmlyon you character. and when I post a pic of an oil painting I always go into PS and tweek the color and contrast. I suspect the same treatment might help an acrylic

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again- yes - you guys got me on the armor thing. Mabye if I come back to this one again ill get it right. For now im onto new things.
    -Chaos- yeah-Henry isnt as heroic as he should be-but i tried to compensate for that by bringing him MUCH more light- and detail-vs. the larger and darker guardsman. I also tried to emphasise some key swirls up to him to lead the eye there. I treid to offset things for action reasons. I added my "eye lead" - hopefully that clears things up- if some of it doesnt work-please tell me. sorry also if im being defensive. my art teacher keeps telling me to practice defending my compositions. And yes--the colors are a bit drab from the original. I should go into photoshop. my next post i will. Thanks for the advice!

Death of King Henry II

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.