Art: Light, Shadow and Perspective
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Light, Shadow and Perspective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Light, Shadow and Perspective

I’ve always been able to draw whatever I see but without a reference I find it a bit difficult. I have been reading a lot on light, shadow and perspective, but unfortunately I am not able to follow what I read. Any advice you guys could give me on techniques that might help me improve the value and sense of depth in my pieces?

Last edited by BlackFlux; January 1st, 2007 at 07:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats not too bad, but youve got more than one light source in them, which leads to it looking a bit unnatural (unless thats what you intended)

basically imagine a light somewhere your page, and then from there try to imagine how it would land on the object. In the case of the graffitti youve got there, you'll have to think about where shadows would be formed as well. Other than that though, its really a matter of practice - eventually it comes naturally.

"Never have I seen a greater, or a more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother" - The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The best advice I can think to give you is to go do some academic perspective exercises. Draw cubes, and then furniture and buildings for a while, both from imagination and observation. Then apply what you have learned back to the funky text.

There are a few perspective assignments available in my Concept Art 101 thread, if you’d like. (The link is in my sig.)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been reading Andrew Loomis - Successful Drawing and it seems as if my problem is with light on complex forms. I don't have problems drawing light on basic. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlux
    Any other suggestions?
    Practice. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any other suggestions other than to practice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could try doing a series of quick still-lifes, starting with individual simple objects lit by a single strong light-source, and move towards complexity from there.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.