Critique Me?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique Me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Critique Me?

Hey there--Well, I have had a lot of criticism on two paintings. Some have suggested that I add more paint to a fish, less paint over here and over there, too much purple, too many white dots, etc. The paintings were not created with academics in mind. I guess I paint the way I feel...It is something I need to work on? I have not asked for the critiques here yet and so please enlighten and advise..Thanks

Last edited by LindaMunschauer; December 31st, 2006 at 12:31 AM. Reason: posted incorrectly
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Larger pictures would be useful.

My only thoughts, are that it is every challenging to constructively criticize, a piece that, is a piece:

a) in a certain abstract or stylized fashion.

b) that portrays the person's feelings.

Because it's really not for criticization. The only thing that could be said is about colour composition, and even that kind of gets voided, due to b), the colours could be portraying what you feel, or how you paint, or your mood.

It's difficult. I personally have no crits. and I think you shouldn't have felt you needed to put it here, because it's a really nice piece, that is without noticeable faults.

And if you wanted some views on it, there was mine, good job .

TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for viewing...let me try to upload larger pics from another place...?...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now to see it in detail, it's a beautiful piece. Wow, bigger images can really make a difference, the dots are excellent.

here's my crit!

The lower one should be of the same amount of colours as the first, it feels incomplete, with the dots of colour over white. Otherwise, they are very nice.

TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whether or not these were created with academics in mind, academics still apply. Is the composition interesting? What mood do the colors communicate? Do the images of recognizable objects successfully communicate what they were intended? Is the overall craftsmanship sound or unsound?

Additionally, for us to help you improve at this sort of thing, we need more information. Perhaps these images were done just for your own enjoyment. However, do you have ambitions beyond these pictures? For instance, do you hope to eventually sell this type of work in galleries? Would you like to develop this approach to image-making for use in children’s book illustrations? Do you intend to intend to include this or other work in an admissions portfolio to a college?

I would say that your technique is a lot of fun, but that more planning of your compositions could elevate these from a naive amusement to something very sophisticated and applicable to numerous illustrative ends. The craftsmanship varies in your works. In areas where the paint is opaque, the imges look more finished, whereas in translucent areas, such as in the orange duck and purple fish, the thin paint looks shoddy in comparison to the sun. The mood is fun and happy! The imagery reads about as it is supposed to – a fish, a tree, etc. I would suggest finding alternate ways to represent certain shapes, such as flowers and cats, that don’t so much invoke a child’s drawing. Think of the word “elegant” as you paint, and perhaps look at Art Nouveau decorations and cave paintings for ideas on how to stylize without wandering into cliché.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

Thanks...I really appreciate the "academic" view..it leaves me with a great deal of serious thought..I guess i just paint the way I feel. After selling original flowered paintings shortly after being viewed at the Allentown Art Festival,,AND receiving what I thought was really quite a nice price, I guess I do want to sell my paintings or prints of them. I really want my art to be "sound" and interesting. In addition, I really would like to use "Lilly Gherkin" as an illustration by which adolescents could identify with when dealing with ? issues. I really would like to hear more...anything you can advise would be greatly appreciated..Now, i need to go look you up here..Thanks again. ..

Last edited by LindaMunschauer; January 2nd, 2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: pictures

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, if you are interested in practicing some academics, you could try the "Concept art 101" thing I've got a link to in my sig. I'm quite curious to see what sort of results you would get if you combine your colorful whimsey with some of the assignments.

Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This type of stuff can go over really well in certain markets... my best crit would be to study composition more and especially folks like picasso and some of the abstract expressionists -- I think those artists could point the way to a more cohesive structure for your already engaging style.

Best,
    Jason.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.