C.O.W. - #072: Blue Mountain Glider - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thediligent
    You are soo freakin right, I did some preliminary research on the skeletal structure. I couldn't find the stuff I was looking for so I fudged it. I figured nobody would really notice so much anyway.
    You don't need to find a skeleton that's exactly what your creature would have, or even one that's very similar. All you need is to figure out the formula that most skeletons follow; where the bones generally are and what they generally look like, how many bones are in each leg segment, etc. Once you get that down, you can warp and distort your generic skeleton into whatever shape you need. See bat wings, dolphin fins, and the human arm and hand; all are limbs with very different appearances and functions, but the bones underneath are all very much the same.
    Wizo5454- No problem, buddy ol' pal!
    longshao- Welcome to CoW, and to CA in general! I'm really liking your creature, and I'm glad to meet another fan of the basking shark. For now, my only crit is to make the image larger, so we can see more of its lovely face.
    eirenicon- You too, welcome to CA. Very interesting idea for a creature you have there. However, as it is right now, it seems to me to be more of a floater than a glider, as its staying up via the buoyancy of a gas bladder and not the lift of its wings. A solution might be to not have its legs atrophied, but to have them developed into small stabilizing wings for steering and such. Even if they aren't used to keep the creature in the air, I think just the presence of wings like that would turn it from a floater to a glider.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to participate in COW for sooo long but never had the time to.
    Now I have holydays till 8.
    Sadly I had no bettter idea than this guy looking bit too much like a Pterosaur.

C.O.W. - #072: Blue Mountain Glider

I currently reside in my mind... the body I live in stays in Philly.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter is great!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezy
    thediligent - the glow is awesome, how is learning Painter coming for you?
    Its coming along well. I wasn't aware of how intuitive a drawing program it is. I have a lot of experimenting to do with it. I may start a sketchbook thread, I just want to make sure I can consistently update or at least dump alo of work in there. Thanks for asking. Which program did you use for your submission?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai
    Very interesting idea for a creature you have there. However, as it is right now, it seems to me to be more of a floater than a glider, as its staying up via the buoyancy of a gas bladder and not the lift of its wings. A solution might be to not have its legs atrophied, but to have them developed into small stabilizing wings for steering and such. Even if they aren't used to keep the creature in the air, I think just the presence of wings like that would turn it from a floater to a glider.
    That was a concern of mine as well. I have changed course to reflect a more gliderly nature, and overall, a more bird-like appearance. I've updated the original image. Thanks for your remarks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thediligent - I am using Photoshop 7. But I just started using it about a week ago since I just got my Wacom 6x8 for Christmas. So I am a noob, but learning and art is something fun for me so I am at my own pace. Art for me obviously isn't to make money, but I think it is more than a hobby, seems more like a lifestyle for me.

The one bad thing about the Wacom and PS 7 so far is it has made me neglect my sketchbook which I take with me everywhere I go. I also have some awesome water soluble oils sitting around that I am ignoring because of the Wacom. I cant get enough I guess. hehe

I have a friend that swears by Painter, and since I knew I was getting the tablet I decided to pick up one or the other to learn. I think taking on painter and PS at the same time would be too much. I chose PS 7 because it leans more toward brush effects rather than mediums like painter. Which is sort of the reason I am asking your opinion of it because of you obvious experience with photoshop prior to tryin painter.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use both Painter and Photoshop. They are equally great apps in their own right, and can create wildly different outcomes - or identical ones. I love Painter's traditional mediums and the way paint works - you can't mix the same way in PS. If I'm sketching or doodling, it's definitely got to be Painter, as I like to work with pencils, watercolors and chalk (for outlines, color and highlights). When I start painting, I usually use Painter for portraits and characters and Photoshop for everything else. It's easy to mix skin tones and work quickly in Painter, while in PS it's easy for your work to start taking on that smooth, almost blurry look if you don't work with different and textured brushes. I definitely prefer PS's interface, though. I find it easier to move and enlarge elements on the fly to maintain or correct proportions or adjust the scene.

Each is a tool, and each is only as good as you are... but they definitely have different uses and merits. I have to say though, Painter is very easy to get into. After using Photoshop for years, it took me mere minutes to get accustomed to Painter. Although I hardly have a grasp on the more advanced features, all I really want to do is paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:

The Blue Mountain Glider is an unfortunate bird because of its poorly evolved defense mechanism. It subtley takes on the colour of its surroundings in the fashion of a chameleon, except for when it passes objects of the colour blue. When it turns blue it explodes in a mess of eggs and jaws. It has only survived as a species because any other predatory animals consider them too volatile to hunt.

eri

Last edited by Eriboss; January 6th, 2007 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -It's my first digital paint and it doesn't look very good, but at least I hit the deadline. But I will get skilled in next rounds, you will see

“…I shot one, right into the heart I swore! But the demon just screamed and jumped away! Oh, that jump! No like jump, it was more like flight, I’ve seen! Good mile it have flight, and then, the beast just barely touched a mountain and jumped again into the distance I even couldn’t see! The other monkeys, for our luck, got frightened, let Roger as he was- in coma and blood, and they disappeared too. We quickly decided to quit with that blue fur job, coins or no coins, I can tell you.”

-Yeah, if any good soul could fix the errors of that descp.-ain't very good with english...

Original pen drawing at http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5...glider1ah6.jpg

Last edited by Mydrim; January 6th, 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Adding the more-or-less painted version

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wheezy : Looks good so far, still a little blurry and could use some stronger lights, but i know it's not done yet, looking forward to the description.

Saise : I'm dig this one, funny idea, perhaps some darker lines and shadows on the main creature so it dont looked too pasted. Contender for my vote.

Greenjack : I see the inspiration comes from wales and maybe stingrays? Pretty incomplete so far but i like the rendered creature, simple but strong design.

faxmaster : This one is really cool, smooth nice rendering on a creature that looks rather peaceful even though it has a edgy design, would love a background on that one and maybe work some more on the hands/claws.

Rhineville : Strong form and looks mighty, though it could be more "blue-ish", looks more "gray-ish". Looking forward to the description.

Ksama : This one is cute, made me think of "Spyro The Dragon", i like the big head to (maybe that's the perspective), it looks odd (in a positive way). Could use some more work on the edges. Make it darker so it blends better and makes the form solid.

thediligent : This one is really cool, great rendering on all the perspective's as well, not much crit on this one, maybe more work on the rest of the body.

mattbyng : Looks good so far, put a smile on my face, though i think the colors collide a little to much in my opinion, try working some more on the ground to where it is standing.

mr-nick : Off to a good start, this can turn out really well, but as you stated, not very blue, but strong design.

wizo5454 : This one looks really good, great rendering, but it's not blue... You should fix that. Try some reflective light on the rocks from the white light he emmits(?)

Crimson Dark : Looks different from the rest design-wise which is good, but it's still in the early stages so i can't say to much. Looking forward to the finished piece.

eirenicon : Beautiful rendering, so soft and warm, Looking forward to the complete piece. Would be even better with a little background.

longshao : Looks awesome so far, reminded me of a pokemon strangely enough, the big bat-one, Golbat i think. I have a feeling this will look great once it's done.

Ernie82 : Looks pretty incomplete so far, and yeah it looks like that bird-like dinosaur, not much to say. Work on it.

Eriboss : This one is my favourite me thinks. Very bizarre idea and cool rendering, right up my ally. Some more background for more atmosphere perhaps?.

Mydrim : This one can turn out pretty good, different idea from the rest.

Last edited by Lazy; January 3rd, 2007 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit, Lazy. Updated. Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, it's good to get back into these.

Eriboss- Dude, I think that is a pretty neat piece. Has a nice thick painterly style to it as well. Don't scrap it!

Might work this one out a tiny bit more. Think it's pretty much done.

The Blue Alpine Danlin

The Blue Alpine Danlin lives in desolate environments high up in the mountains. Due to the short supply of foods or prey the Blue Danlin only eats a rare butterfly that also lives within the mountains, however only one of these is needed to keep the Blue Danlin full for itleast a whole week. It is a odd creature that almost looks like it's skin is inside out but it is in fact a hard outer skin and it's wings are shaped like rock. It is spotted easily from it's striking blue colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't compete with you guys, but I can at least join in once and a while.

I know, it looked less like a big blue draogn in my head. And I'm not happy with the face, but this was a pretty breakthrough piece for me. I'm still a lil' baby puppy artist.

Fantastic work folks, I'm not going to pick anyone out, you're all doing great, hard work, and that is what's important to me.

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone!!! This topic is pretty much awesome. Here's my WIP: C.O.W. - #072: Blue Mountain Glider
    Concept coming soon!

UPDATE:

Concept: These massive dragon-like creatures carry boulders from one place to the other in order to build a sturdy nest for their young. They are very efficient builders, mostly due to their length and multiple arms to carry the large rocks. They glide high over the clouds, only dropping down to land at their nesting site. Its graceful movement gives it the nickname "the blue mountain glider". Occasionallyboulders are dropped, causing massive, destructive avanlanches, and it is feared by many people, despite its gentle nature.

Only a few more things I have to finish and I'll be done...mostly the ground and the clouds, but the monster itself is actually done, any suggestions??

Last edited by Evui; January 7th, 2007 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai: Thanks for the comment! Yeah after the Zuiyo Maru incident, I believe you can make anything outta a basking shark. I saved this small image just for a quick presentation; the final will be bigger.
    Lazy: I wasn't thinking Golbat, but now I see it.
    Hyptosis: Nice image! The body porporiton of your creature is so much different from the others.
    Evui: I like the scale of that creature. Does it have multiple pairs of arms?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by longshao
    Moai: Thanks for the comment! Yeah after the Zuiyo Maru incident, I believe you can make anything outta a basking shark. I saved this small image just for a quick presentation; the final will be bigger.
    Lazy: I wasn't thinking Golbat, but now I see it.
    Hyptosis: Nice image! The body porporiton of your creature is so much different from the others.
    Evui: I like the scale of that creature. Does it have multiple pairs of arms?
    Thank you, and yes he has various arms for dropping boulders but I wanna develop the idea more. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final.
    The Mowhawk Beast is a blue furred carnivore that lives in the mountains. The species varies from sky blue to vibrant blue-purple. They are anatomically similar to a wolf and lion, wich allows them the comfort of being high on their fod chain. Most notable predators of the mowhawk beasts are rocs and hydras, whom also dwell in the same habitat. They grow a wild mane and 2 mowhawk-like wings on their backs that consists of feathers. The long feathered backs serve their mating rituals, as well as their hunting needs. High in the mountains, these creatures are able to jump across vast open or steep rocky areas and glide safely to solid ground. This is possible by extending their mowhawks out, like wings. This increased ability allows them to hunt flying prey, as well as dropping down upon their unknowing victims from above.

Last edited by misledtomisery; January 7th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

05 January 1928

Dearest,

A great discovery has been made from within The Ancient Kingdom of Gu-ge. Our workers have been excavating diligently (when well fed), and have presently uncovered an unthinkable amount of artworks, presumably crafted by artisans of The Trans-Himalayan Mountain Range. It seems the creatures displayed in this particular piece of art had been revered by the Monks of this region. The structures seem to serve as a resting perch for these wondrous beasts... perhaps they were domesticated, such as our beloved Reginald Fluffykins? My, how they must have eaten. I'd wager the wingspan dwarfs that of a pterodactyl. O! We must keep searching, perhaps we will find this land of flying wings, and perhaps there will be gold there, and then, my dear, we would be married in a ceremony fit for a king.

Love Always,
    Philip

P.S. Please feed the dog.

Last edited by wagon; January 5th, 2007 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbyng
    Sorry, but everyone must be thinking it.
    No offence but I have to ask..What is it?
    no offence taken I am really glad someone said it I realized it was a retarded painting that was at a very low level.the concept was to use pods on the side of the body filled with a helium like gas to keep it afloat.
    but I trashed the concept due to it didn't conform to the topic, as well as I need to really work on my sketching and painting so that I can someday take part and qualify for this contest.

Wheezy.
    Thanks for the crits I have taken your advice I have also found a ton of tutorials on digital painting for enviroments and perspective.
    thanks a lot for the crits.
    I hope to come back some day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy i love it!

I currently reside in my mind... the body I live in stays in Philly.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezy
    I am using Photoshop 7. But I just started using it about a week ago since I just got my Wacom 6x8 for Christmas.

I have a friend that swears by Painter, and since I knew I was getting the tablet I decided to pick up one or the other to learn. I think taking on painter and PS at the same time would be too much. I chose PS 7 because it leans more toward brush effects rather than mediums like painter. Which is sort of the reason I am asking your opinion of it because of you obvious experience with photoshop prior to tryin painter.
    Photoshop is a very powerful tool for both painting and photo manipulation. I personally think it lacks in the painting/drawing side because (and many people can argue this) pencil, ink and pastel/paint effects are simply effects that one has to create using brush settings. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of power in the customizing of brushes, but I feel as though, painter right out of the box has great tools that only need tweaking if you prefer the feel of a certain type of pen or type of pastel. I guess what I'm trying to say is that painting in photoshop feels like either Airbrush or Guache/acrylic where as in painter it can feel like anything you want with little effort.

Another plus of painter is the ability to turn the canvas/paper like you would when you normally draw. In photoshop it is possible to turn the whole canvas but not interactively.

Also in photoshop I have a tendency to achieve great color effects through using layers, opacity settings and blending modes (like overlay, linear doge and multiply for example). In painter I normally think of the canvas like I would on an oil painting (which two colors belong next to each other, which color overlaid like a glaze would achieve the effect I want). In painter I normally don't go crazy with the layers, in photoshop I have many photo manipulations with 15 layers+ easy.

I would suggest you stick to one, like you are, until you get the hang of it or until you feel comfortable enough to venture of into other apps. I have been messing with Maya for 3D for a little while and recently Zbrush for some modelling work as well. I am sure many of the guys here would say: it's always more important to have the fundamentals down. The rest is just which tool you want to pickup to express yourself.

I hope I was somewhat helpful, and If you have any photoshop questions you can always PM me.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am excited to see so much of everyone's work in this thread. I think I feel a little wierd about throwing crits out on people's work, because this was my first post. But I'll have some time later in the day, and I will comment on all the great stuff in here more specifically.

Peace
    rules

Last edited by thediligent; January 4th, 2007 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Blue, Blue Blue-mountain Glider
    The blue glider is a very depressed bird, some would describe his personality as blue. The blue glider goes bald and gets a gut at a short age and is unable to glide because of the weight. The creature lives in the blue mountains and can be distinguished by its blue coat of feathers. blue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by davi
    The blue glider goes bald and gets a gut at a short age and is unable to glide because of the weight............
    LOL, I've still got most of my feathers but my post-xmas gut has me on a diet of birdseed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The blue glider is a very depressed bird
    Man davi, don't be such a downer! Think happy thoughts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by davi
    The blue glider is a very depressed bird, some would describe his personality as blue. The blue glider goes bald and gets a gut at a short age and is unable to glide because of the weight. The creature lives in the blue mountains and can be distinguished by its blue coat of feathers. blue.
    lmao!! soooo emo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one davi...very well done.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blue flitch

started this a couple days ago. i've not had much time to push it further than this mock-up. certainly not done, but coming together ok.

scientific name aimed at you older folk :P

----

- sour version eight
    - doofy little sketchbook of doom

Last edited by sourgasm; January 4th, 2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: whooops

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so.. do u want us to design a cow and post it?
    i'm kinda new.. so can u xplain me what's this "creature of the week" thing is?
    i mean. u want a design and then we post it.. as a contest?

pld: hepp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hepp: This is correct

-- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Update nr 2, with a bit more details.

Hello folks .

Good work so far .

I shall offer praise and crit in the voting thread, as not to influence any onlookers before the voting.

Here's mine . I know I should have added more detail, will see what updates time permits till tomorrow.

And a crop - close up of the head .

Last edited by Oddo; January 5th, 2007 at 03:58 AM.
    Will appreciate critique anywhere, anytime .
    My Ramblings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oddo this is a good one! I dig that you use a stripper for scale Nice touch - oh, I mean no touch, you may not touch the stripper

I do think you need to do something about the amorpheous shape on the right - it uncomfortably distracts from the turtle.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1