C.O.W. - #071: Xmas 2006 - Elf Eater or Bauble Maker - Voting!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woodlandwalker

3 3.66%
  • mr-nick

0 0%
  • mattbyng

0 0%
  • scorge

0 0%
  • Chupacabra

6 7.32%
  • FlyingMilton

15 18.29%
  • Paolo13

0 0%
  • misledtomisery

32 39.02%
  • Moai

7 8.54%
  • Tom Garden

1 1.22%
  • JCole76

0 0%
  • Simonl

13 15.85%
  • Michael Jaecks

5 6.10%

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #071: Xmas 2006 - Elf Eater or Bauble Maker - Voting!

ROUND #071 VOTING

Topic: Xmas 2006 - Elf Eater or Bauble Maker

Deadline for the voting: Saturday, 06th January 2007

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84856

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

3. No voting for your own entry!!! If a participants votes for his own entry, every member has the right to call him a stupid lame moron in this thread! And i will delete his/her vote anyway...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    artist: Woodlandwalker
    concept:

Cold winds blow through the artic night… Taskmaster Santa rules with fright.
    Toys are to be made but at what cost… Elves are enslaved with all hope being lost.
    Life at the North Pole is anything but jolly… Escape is not possible to do so is folly.
    Red and green worms attached upon the head… fill the elves thoughts with terror and dread.
    Zombies they are, doing Santa’s bidding… the story is true, and you thought we were kidding.
    The Artic Brain-sucking Worms have been used by Santa for hundreds of years. Once he found that he was in need of a larger and larger workforce to make toys for all the greedy children of the world. He decided to enslave the Elfish worker population … placing the worms upon their bald heads, allowing them to parasitically feed upon elfish brain matter and making their hosts complacent…easy to suggestion. Now screams in the night do more than any magic spell could to keep away visitors to the cold factories of the north.
    Merry Christmas… enjoy your presents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

artist: mr-nick
    concept:
    Slobbering Were Muncher
    The Elf eaters stalk the North Pole, particulary the icy glaciers around Christmas town. These horrible creature lie in wait buried beneath the snow, with just their candy cane horns sticking out. When a hungry elf draws near, it jumps out and devours the tasty little blighters (elves are rumoured to taste like cinnamon). The Eskimos of Greenland say that elf eaters are the result of a were-wolf eating an elf, one taste of such scruptious delight fules their hunger to extremes and slowly turns them in to Slobbering Were Munchers, or elf eaters as they are more commonly known...

artist: mattbyng
    concept:
    Elf-Eating Grubbolugg
    This ugly creature is known as an Elf-Eating Grubbolugg. It spends most of it's time hiding in tall trees and what-not, waiting patiently for a poor, innocent elf to get too close. The elf is attracted to the site by the glowing cheeks of the Grubbolugg. The nearer the elf creeps, the more fiercely the cheeks glow, increasing the curiosity of the individual. When the victim is finally in range, the glowing disappears and in an instant the Elf-Eating Grubbolugg strikes, dragging it's victim into the trees where the poor elf is devoured.

artist: scorge
    concept:
    Northern lights

artist: Chupacabra
    concept:

artist: FlyingMilton
    concept:
    Santa's Chimney Snake
    As the digital age rolled in and demand for simple toys diminished, hundreds of elf craftsmen had to be layed off to make way for the new high tech workforce. Bitter and unemployed, they sought to ruin christmas once and for all and decided to play god.
    It was no surprise when the plan backfired as their creation was brought to life and consumed the whole crew. But a few elves were not enough to satisfy the hunger of this massive snake. Reindeer, snowmen and gingerbread men fell victim to the worm. The terror did not last long as snakes cannot survive in the frigid air of the North Pole. It had to find a place to rest and Santa's grande chimney fit the bill.

artist: Paolo13
    concept:

artist: misledtomisery
    concept:
    root wyrm
    aka - earth swimmer. aka - elf eater.
    This creature, the root wyrm, has a unique camoflauge which makes their heads look similar to a tree stump. They travel by burrowing deep under the surface, and surface only to feed, which occurs roughly once a year. They feed off magical creatures, prefering elves, hence their nick name, the elf eater. These prey offer the most magical sustanance to the root wyrm. Proping their heads above the surface, they wait, mouth wide open until an unfortunate victim comes too close. The root like tentacles covering their heads are used to grab and entangle the prey, dragging it into the mouth of the beast.

artist: Moai
    concept:
    Spectacled Baublehead
    In northern Siberia, far from any human habitation, there is a chasm, twenty feet wide and thousands of feet deep. If one fell down that chasm, after plummeting for a time one would find that gravity had reversed. If our hypothetical traveler chose to ascend the rest of the way through the chasm, he would eventually reach a temperate paradise of eternal light and creatures unimaginable. He would have reached the land that time forgot and that science denies: the inner surface of the hollow earth. Should he choose to explore further--and who could not, having come so far to such a wondrous place?--he would soon find that he is not the only human being to be found in this world. The interior of the earth is inhabited, and the people, short in stature and quite industrious, call themselves Yelffs. On the surface of the earth, the word has been changed over centuries into "Elves." Yes, Elves, Santa Claus, and his legendary workshop do exist, but on the inner surface of the earth, not on the North Pole, as in myth.Millions of years ago, the inner surface of the earth was more accessible to creatures from the outer surface. However, as continental drift has moved the sole opening between the two surfaces into ever more remote and inhospitable terrain, the creatures of the inner earth evolved in isolation. One product of these strange evolutionary circumstances is the Spectacled Baublehead, a large, antlered marsupial. Its closest living relative on the outer surface is the thylocine, or Tasmanian Wolf. The Spectacled Baublehead is an omnivore, relying mostly on shrubbery but occasionally supplementing its diet with a small animal, such as a rodent or fish. It hunts no large food, as it is actually a timid and wary animal. This is in part a learned habit, for it has long been the preferred quarry of Yelff hunters. The Spectacled Baublehead produces to valuable recourses: its flesh, which is tender and flavorful, and the baubles to which it owes its name. During mating season, male Baubleheads produce shimmering spheres, which grow out of their antlers. The purpose of these baubles is to simultaneously intimidate males with less luster and to impress females. The baubles also impress Yelffs, who in tribal days used the baubles as decorations of status, as well as valuable currency. In more recent industrialized years, the baubles have been put to use in making ornaments and other such holiday pretties. In the mid twentieth century, the Baubleheads had nearly gone extinct. As a result, the Yelff parliament passed legislation prohibiting the killing of Baubleheads solely for their baubles, and sharply reduced the amount of Baubleheads that could be hunted at all. It is considered the first great victory for the inner earth environmentalist movement.

artist: Tom Garden
    concept:

Its head is shaped in a santa like shape!! poor elf!

artist: JCole76
    concept:

The elves of Northland have long feared the howl
    The flumpth, flumpth, flumpth on fresh fallen snow
    Followed by that every so dreadful deep, soft growl
    Through the Candy Cane forest it lurks and it sneaks
    Looking and smelling just like a Christmas tree
    Quitely stalking un-suspecting elf treats

artist: Simonl
    concept:

artist: Michael Jaecks
    concept:
    Lampworker Dragon
    Adult Lampworker Dragons measure 8 to 12 inches in length. Their curious reproductive habits result in some of the loveliest holiday decorations. Lampworkers mate in late fall and the females lay thier molten, glass-like eggs in the first snows of early December. Females may lay up to 20 eggs a season each. Males, however, have but one sperm to donate per mating cycle. Fertilized eggs turn an unremarkable brown and grow to double the size of unfertilized eggs. They hatch days later and the young lampworkers grow into adulthood by the next mating season.
    The surplus unfertilized eggs harden surprisingly strong and light. A number of environmental factors vary their size, shape, color and pattern including the weather and dragon's diet prior to mating season. Artisans collect the leftover eggs each winter and gently tool them into delightful decorations for the holidays. Lampworker Dragon eggs come in three grades: Semi-Precious, which are closest to spherical and most delicate in hue, Very Fine, which are largely smooth and more brightly colored, and Common, which are more irregular in shape and color, but no less lovely. Common Lampworker eggs are often drilled and beaded into garlands. The higher grades are fashioned into larger ornaments and very often the largest of the Semi-Precious grade are simply displayed in their natural state.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not accepted entries:

All WIPs/sketches/not finished yet/placeholder/yaddayaddayadda images...

feeesh
    Your entry basically shows only a head, the rest of the image is kinda abstract and i can't spot any anatomical features like legs, body, arms or something else which could be a hint for the creature design.

ShadowOfTheSun
    Your creature is not shown. It is hidden in the Teddy and we have no clue how it looks like, sorry, but that is not acceptable for an activity which is about creature design.

close to rejection:

Paolo13
    I know you're not so good in coloring, but your lineart is making up for like 10 times...so i am not sure if the coloring ruined your artwork or if it was rushed but it doesn't look very finished to me. Maybe next time polish your lineart to the best level you can achieve and enter with a black/white entry if you don't feel comfortable with coloring. There are no rules that your entry must be colored. But still if you want to improve your coloring i recommend continuing with colors I don't want to hold your progress.

Tom Garden
    Hmm, buddy, this entry again didn't look as polished as your usual entries...and that you sent in 2 images wasn't making things easier, this way the viewer will only see the head part of your creature, because as always only 1 image will be taken to the poll.

special note:

none

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Comments

Hey everyone,

I voted for Simonl because it was a well done image (good details). It also brought me a laugh so it deserved the vote. Besides Simonl I would've voted for misledtomisery since it was done nicely as well, but it took me a second to see the earth wyrm. Good job overall though to everyone and I wish a happy new year to all .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for FlyingMilton, for his very original accordian/cephalopod creature.
    Since I actually entered something this round, I'll go through and do a mass critique. Not now, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx Fozz, I will try to do better next time

misledtomisery got my last vote for 2006, nice concept.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted simonl....the pubes made it.
    wished there was a description though...

thanks for the votes peeps. it is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizz
    Besides Simonl I would've voted for misledtomisery since it was done nicely as well, but it took me a second to see the earth wyrm.
    now thats good camoflauge...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Simonl. The whole creature just looked like a big nutsack, which of course is funny. I also liked the face a lot too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the votes, chaps!

Moai got my vote. An elegant critter with feasible anatomy, rendered very simply and effectively. Very nice work.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Woodlandwalker. I just love the concept and idea behind it

- Artemis Kolakis -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the vote and the praise, Simonl! I must be doing something right to get a vote already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v - Chupacabra

For the best designing.

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted misledtomisery, great imagination! just plain love the creature

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chupacabra - Your piece reminds me of Frazetta - composition wise and also somewhat the rough painting style. Good stuff! I think the main reason why you're not ahead in the poll is because - well, it's just a lizard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted Chupacabra, I liked his entry, it looks simple and laconic, but it has many well thought out details and effects to be likable. Like an interesting view from beneath, atmosphere, trophies from the recent event, light irony or even sarcasm with Christmas tree association and I his story.
    The birds a bit rough looking, I think.
    Many interesting entries in this round though, I would like give more votes to some artists

Michael Jaecks , it's my second choice. Beautiful idea, story and I like ornaments. BG is not up to the rest in my opinion.
    FlyingMilton for good story and impressive anatomy of the snake, It was scary looking entry.
    SimonR, it is funny and beautifully executed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vote for FlyingMilton. Original and well executed.

Jag har en inbyggd kompass. -Skalman

http://www.patchtogether.com/members...rs/showprofile Vote for my patch together designs, please?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SirJohanna ORIGINAL ART FOR SALE

http://nanna.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    michael Jaeks.... got my vote . I love the shiny things
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was torn on this one...... it out of Simon and Misled I choose....... Misled its just too strong a concept to pass up.

TheRoad

Transition from Art Critic to Artiste - Diligence, that's all I need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's FlyingMilton's snake for me, everything about it - design, color, technique - is just great. And so original and fresh too - the design doesn't scream "creature concept art here"...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Micheal got it for me...i just love the dragon and the story is really creative. The rendering is also wonderful and there's been a huge improvement in rendering in even the few months I've been watching this event...

It's a well deserved vote!

Shannon Rochon
    Illustration/Graphics
    http://www.shaart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Simonl, there is a " reality " in the image, i can feel the effort's creature. haha please sorry for the bad english.
    But i really like the Woodlandwalker and Michael Jaecks pieces, great job guys!

Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80575

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote goes to Moai, excellent creature design and execution. GJ!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind comments and the votes, folks.

I voted for SimonL. Always love his entries.

Long live the bauble makers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too voted for that elfeating treetrunk, but I would have liked to see Jakkas paintover to happen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Caskin, dragon4lunch, Espenboi, jynx, Phylum, Simonl, wizo5454, I can't thank you enough for your votes. I still can hardly believe that I've received seven votes, when my previous CoW record was one. So, thank you all for the support and encouragement that these votes represent.

Members who have read this thread: 1