Just thinking out loud...

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Just thinking out loud...

I'm toying with something that could be interesting, but only if other people think it might be, too...

After I ask the Admins for permission, I'm thinking of starting an on-going competition in the challenge area, sometime after the holidays and big competitions are over. It's going to be a bit different from what you're all used to, but it could be fun. My primary purpose, though, is to TEACH...

Most of us are here for many reasons--to get a feel for what the professionals are doing, how they do it, plain and simple inspiration, learning the problems/solutions involved in "real" work, and hopefully learning what it takes in becoming a "pro" someday ourselves...

Over the last couple of months, I've seen posts in a good many threads that rattled my cage a bit...

"This is boring."

"We only have 6 months to do this?!?"

"I hate [insert the stupidest thing that ever came out of your mouth about art]."

"So what! I'm never doing that, so why should I even care about/attempt/plan for it?"

"This subject is shitty! Can I do something I like instead?"

"Who cares?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know it sucks, but I'm tired of messin' with it..."

"I'm in...unless I get laid by [insert name or animal of your choice]!"

"Hey! Bite me! If I want want my 15th century nun wearing a bikini, I'll do it..."

"When's this due? I really don't have the time to go back to page 1 and see for myself..."

"I hate acrylics! Can I just put my water color/crayons/pablum on real thick instead?"

Many of you may see yourselves somewhere in the above probably. If you do, you're sliding down the ladder, not climbing it.

The real world doesn't revolve around you, the real world doesn't wait for you, the real world doesn't have to pay you for doing something more fun than what they requested, and the real world sure as hell isn't going to want to hear how your dog ate your final piece--coincidentally on the last day it was due.

My thought is a series of competitions that directly counter the above attitudes, with RATIONAL and varying deadlines (I won't request anything that even approaches "Need this tomorrow, Asshole!"), with subjects that range from mundane to beautiful-once-in-a-lifetime-events, possibly done in specific ways, maybe in specific media (don't panic--look-alike qualifies here), maybe something that needs some heavy-duty research, or has to fill a narrow request by a specific "client." NO extensions, NO excuses, NO slacking off...BUT...NO question will go unanswered, no matter how stupid you think it might be. The ones that know will share, and maybe we'll all learn a bit.

We will crit every piece entered. You WILL be graded by me (and any number of other/more qualified people that I can blackmail into helping), as well as your peers, and your grade WILL COUNT in the finals. The higher your accumulated grades, the closer to being in the right mind-set for a pro you become. And the results will be based on creativity, appropriateness of the solution, how well you fulfilled the request, and the actual level of finish you achieve (allowing for your age or experience). Unlike the current challenges in the Challenge section, the "most-looks-just-like-what-everybody-thinks-conceptual-art-looks-like" will often NOT be the winner. In fact, many of the assignments may not even appear to have an obvious connection to the world of the Concept Artist (Trust me--they will!).

The idea is to get used to and exposed to the real problems that exist in the real world, something that's a bit hard to do when you're still in school, or just getting started.

Any comments, opinions, questions?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm all curious now. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto.

I wouldn't mind critiquing a bit =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Yeah, yeah, I know it sucks, but I'm tired of messin' with it..."
    thats a quote from me aint it.

sounds like a good idea to me. i know im slacking and i need to stop. as well as have alot to learn

never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It sounds like a great idea to me. I need to expand my abilities and get shoved out of my comfort zone as much as possible. So, if this comes to pass, count me in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ila - always the brilliantly demented forum thinker. My question is this though - how can we retain a consistent number of students in these competitions? I have seen many a similar idea go by the wayside because the general populace does not seem to stick to one thing (other than Fozzy beating the shit outta people with the COW, CHOW, etc etc.). Is there some way to get peoples attention asap on these things so that this retains all its fatty goodness and flavor?

-sorry was thinking about eating prime rib just then-

I would be up for it time permitting.

-TeT-

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Testse Fly, you wouldn't have to do it every time. I understand that all of us have other things going on, but the "grades" you get would accumulate. The more you participate, the more you rise up the "pro ladder" so to speak.

Some of the things I have in mind to do are not all that different than what we do now...just from a different angle, with a different set of priorities required, if you know what I mean.

I'm going to try to break the mindset of "This is how it's always done, so that's how I'll do it." and "Eh...I don't like this one..." that can cause real "culture shock" when we little dweebies hit the wide wide world with a pencil, paper and the rent due. And I truly intend to make them intersting enough for most people to try at least some of the comps...

So I can handle this myself starting off, I'll keep things simple at first til I can maybe get some of the pros involved once in a while, especially when it involves one of their specialties.

The one over-riding thing I want to do is convince people to THINK...THEN draw/paint/whatever. A few minutes spent at the right moment just contemplating the pile of shit some idiot dumped on your drawing table is often the most valuable single thing you can do to be a successful artist. The way I'm going to do this is to force you by restrictions in the rules to think in a way that prevents most "clichčed" answers.

Above all, I want it to be fun just to see what we can do with something totally stupid, or so totally outside our own area of interest as to be a real ball-breaker in some fashion. And i'm thinking SIMPLE. The single hardest thing anyone can do. SIMPLE. The straightest, most accurate solution to something so simple that it seems there's nothing for us to do...but we're going to do it anyway, and better than the next guy.

Hey, I figure it's worth a shot for a couple of weeks, but if it doesn't work...eh...we'll come up with something else...I'm flexible (well...as flexible as someone who remembers the Civil War can be...)

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely sounds like something I'd be up for! My one complaint about most of the Community Activities we've got now is that they all tend to focus on how pretty your picture is, with the thought put into the piece largely ignored. Or at least their reward system does. Having a person grading, rather than a popular vote would be a nice change of pace. It should make for a good balance with the activities we've got.

Looking forward to this!

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think id be in on this, just might need someone to kick my ass and force me to do it everytime. But it sounds really cool otherwise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Cool, sounds awesome.. I would be in =)

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sounds awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is boring.

just kidding, i'd love this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a great idea Ilakae, I wish you the best with it, I hope you have enough time to do it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm i might be in if the topic is appealing to me and the deadline isn't to tight. any sponsors or prizes yet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if i dont have to pay massive amounts of money which i dont have on colors , software etc. im in...<_<

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excelent
    bring it on and I'll do my best

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the real draw here would be guaranteed, in-depth critiques on the piece and on the process. With the proper follow-through, this idea could be a tremendous boon to those who really want to learn.

Which is, in my opinion, the best part of this community.

Cheers to you, Ilaekae.

Cheers to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    most promissing post I've ever seen
    I'd have the time and wil to participate (from in two month on) I'd say
    looking forward for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You old cat, I want you as my teacher in uni! The idea is marvelous, I'd love to participate and have my pride ripped to shreds lol!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This would be fantastic - as someone who does not really know what they are doing but would like to develop this is an invaluable idea. This is what I was hoping from ConceptArt since I signed up.

Please please do this as soon as you can. I am eager to be involved.

Pixel Dust

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got my interest. Ill try to join and see if I can kick off the dust from my drawing hand with this and if I can get my damn scanner to work.

ps. Are you getting younger Ilaekae?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether

ps. Are you getting younger Ilaekae?
    thats not nice man :/, well me quoting it for emphasis and making a big deal about it isn't either, but, well um, yeah...

Anyway, awesome idea ilaekae!!

Oh Yeah, and YAY FOR THINKING OUT LOUD!

Last edited by blog; January 17th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I'd be in.

SSG 34
    gadammit it's
    The Selenium Six

..seer..alzorath..bunny..max xiantu..liquidjack..beershite..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds really interesting, i hope this will lift off

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh ila i have had some of an idea of ranking floating through my mind as well for some time. Like you get your white belt in perspective or something or other. Yes I see it all now....

NOW FOR $9.99 you too can have your very own mail order art black belt - KIAH!!!!

im in for the ride on this one

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree that I'm regularly appaled (sp?) by the number of extensions some TD's get. You don't get stuff like that in real world too much and when you do it's bad for your rep. And it's unfair to ppl who made the deadline to begin with. It's a good idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
  • Updates Ilaekae!!!
    I want to know more AND i want this going

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's on. I'll probably start it in mid-late January...need time to organize all the details...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idea! I'm in for sure.

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.