Late 16th century Cavarly Officer - Hussar
 
View testimonialsView Artwork
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    251
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Late 16th century Cavarly Officer - Hussar

    Last edited by miljenko; December 30th, 2006 at 11:05 AM. Reason: improved values and added more detail
    I am glad that I can say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't swear.

    Shit, I do drink and smoke.

    MyBlog: http://worldofmishimi.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    971
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If this is a color comp its a very good start. If its supposed to be finished I would say you really need to render out the detailes much tighter. Compositionally it has a few problems... 1. the soldiers in the bg are not connected to the foreground at all (maybe continue the wall to the left), 2. the red smoke fights with the main character imo.

    Otherwise you are off and running - great job!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,345
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    There are some nice elements to this. The color works well, as do the value transitions on the horse and armor. However, there are some anatomy issues with both the horse and rider. The first thing that came to mind at first glance was that the horse looked a bit like a Llama, given the length of its neck and size of its head. Horses never really hold their heads straight up like that either. Not unless someone's yanking at the reigns. The legs of the rider, particularly the thighs, don't seem right to me either. Aside from these issues, the short cuts you took with the background environment really keep this from having a finished feel to it and really ought to be worked back into. I hope that helps. Keep at it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    251
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by se7en_
    If this is a color comp its a very good start. If its supposed to be finished I would say you really need to render out the detailes much tighter. Compositionally it has a few problems... 1. the soldiers in the bg are not connected to the foreground at all (maybe continue the wall to the left), 2. the red smoke fights with the main character imo.

    Otherwise you are off and running - great job!

    Se7en: Thanks alot on your remarks! Well, I guess I sorta had that Craig Mullins loose style in mind, so wanted to kind of emulate impasto strokes...I dunno. What I definitely wanted to do is to leary demarkate background with the character in the foreground, him, his horse and the flag. Thats why the background is very loose. But, if you think the foreground needs more details, I don't disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by ND Hill
    There are some nice elements to this. The color works well, as do the value transitions on the horse and armor. However, there are some anatomy issues with both the horse and rider. The first thing that came to mind at first glance was that the horse looked a bit like a Llama, given the length of its neck and size of its head. Horses never really hold their heads straight up like that either. Not unless someone's yanking at the reigns. The legs of the rider, particularly the thighs, don't seem right to me either. Aside from these issues, the short cuts you took with the background environment really keep this from having a finished feel to it and really ought to be worked back into. I hope that helps. Keep at it.
    ND Hill: What you said about the horse thing kind of worries me more about this painting, since it is a bit Llama like. I guess I wanted to give to the horse an earnest battle hardened look. Half-way through the picture, I felt that it would have been better if the horse was bucking or something, like in the midst of the battle, or something. I guess I'll do more horse studies, off photographs and other paintings.

    I am glad that I can say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't swear.

    Shit, I do drink and smoke.

    MyBlog: http://worldofmishimi.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Great skill! I love the way the colors are going on this. I agree with N D HIll and Seven in the strange looking of the horse and the compositional problems.
    I think there´s also some perspective problems. The walls of the city and the husars in the back of the picture seems to be very small compared to the officer. There´s also a thing that´s making me feel uncomfortable with the picture, and is the terrein where the horse stands. it look curvy, like a ground not firm engouh. Being so close to a city, I think a more straight ground could work fine with the piece and the perspective. I did a paint over to clarify me. hope you don´t mind and this could be helpful.

    cheers

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    251
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elpez
    Great skill! I love the way the colors are going on this. I agree with N D HIll and Seven in the strange looking of the horse and the compositional problems.
    I think there´s also some perspective problems. The walls of the city and the husars in the back of the picture seems to be very small compared to the officer. There´s also a thing that´s making me feel uncomfortable with the picture, and is the terrein where the horse stands. it look curvy, like a ground not firm engouh. Being so close to a city, I think a more straight ground could work fine with the piece and the perspective. I did a paint over to clarify me. hope you don´t mind and this could be helpful.

    cheers

    Wow, cool, not only do I not mind, I think I'll redo the painting along the lines of your paint-over. And as for horse, I think, Ill just knock down his neck and head abit. Thanks alot for taking time to demonstrate what you meant!

    I am glad that I can say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't swear.

    Shit, I do drink and smoke.

    MyBlog: http://worldofmishimi.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    762
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 113 Times in 96 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Perhaps something very close to frame to give a bit more depth. Some debris or more troops, but out of focus and indistinct, through which we see him.

    Nathan's Journal

    http://sabrepunk.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    251
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    so, this is where your helpful comments brought me. Do you think this needs more work for it to be classified as "finished"? What should I work on?

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am glad that I can say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't swear.

    Shit, I do drink and smoke.

    MyBlog: http://worldofmishimi.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    424
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 176 Times in 123 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I like the last one alot more-but i still find myself getting lost in the flag- the reds loose my eye there. IDK if you need more contrast or not. I think he seems too alone for me. the only other crit would be that he is too detailed for the back ground-there is nothing to really balance that. you might want to up the detail in other places too. but i really like the idea and the armor for one looks amazing! good job thus far

    [CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    the issues i seee
    1. wall goes from detailed to undetialed too quickly.. even some of the transition is hidden behind the horse
    2. that werid set of textures behind the horse on the whall.. not really sure what it is.. maybe your trying to portray loose stone but its not really working
    3. the brightness of the flag contrasts with the earthtones of the picture way too much.. test out some other colors maybe post your three favorites here and we can help you out
    4. still some anatomical issues with the horse me thinks
    5. last and certainly least.. red smoke? it just doesnt work and its out of the ordinary... i dont think they had signal flares back then

    overall i like i though.. but this is the critique section....

    good luck
    DiMb

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    251
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    OK, guys, will continue working on details in the bgrnd, and fix the flag and flame colors

    I am glad that I can say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't swear.

    Shit, I do drink and smoke.

    MyBlog: http://worldofmishimi.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    To help you with the horse I'd suggest looking at statues of mounted men, you can't go wrong with them! Yours looks slightly heavy - more shire horse like than the more athletic ones used in warfare. Your main area to change there is the length of the 'shin' bone (dont know what it's called in a horse!!) and the farthes foremost leg (if that makes sense) should naturally stand more level with the closest foremost... i.e the front legs should be together... but still check up the statues to make sure.
    Also with the armour, make sure it doesnt cling to the skin - alot of the time when doing armour people (including myself) just exagerate bits of the body and make it look like steel, i think the elbow guard atleast needs looking at, but i maybe just being picky (english civil war re enactor here, babble on about correct shoes at you for hours...!!), i like it though!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    251
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Moss
    To help you with the horse I'd suggest looking at statues of mounted men, you can't go wrong with them! Yours looks slightly heavy - more shire horse like than the more athletic ones used in warfare. Your main area to change there is the length of the 'shin' bone (dont know what it's called in a horse!!) and the farthes foremost leg (if that makes sense) should naturally stand more level with the closest foremost... i.e the front legs should be together... but still check up the statues to make sure.
    Also with the armour, make sure it doesnt cling to the skin - alot of the time when doing armour people (including myself) just exagerate bits of the body and make it look like steel, i think the elbow guard atleast needs looking at, but i maybe just being picky (english civil war re enactor here, babble on about correct shoes at you for hours...!!), i like it though!
    Oh shoot, I was afraid this would be the issue. Do you think the perspective would be messed up if I simply cut out the horse and the man above the horse's knees and move them up couple of clicks, and then extend the shins? I wouldn't want to extend the shins downwards, i.e. cut out and then move the legs from the knees to the hooves downwards. Or maybe I should do just that? :/

    So my question is: if I extend only the legs, and the perspective remains the same with respect to the upper part of the man&horse (since I won't repaint them, just cut them out and paste them a little bit above), would this look awkward?

    Last edited by miljenko; January 5th, 2007 at 07:33 AM.
    I am glad that I can say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't swear.

    Shit, I do drink and smoke.

    MyBlog: http://worldofmishimi.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Paderborn, Germany
    Posts
    820
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 75 Times in 74 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The picture is quite cool I think.
    But as some mentioned before it is still something wrong with the horse. have another look at horse-pictures on the web. If it is no pony then the rider should be a bit smaller, the horses head should be a bit bigger and its legs should be a bit thinner and longer.
    Though I have no great knowledge concerning horses I feel those points could need to be changed.
    Cheers!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    PT
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hi, the illustration is looking nice. I don't know if someone said this before but one thing that bothers me is the placement of that rd smoke, because it is placed rigth above the flag and the red of the smoke is very close to the one in the flag. Maybe this could be solved by making the area of the red smoke wider so it is still red below the flag or at least placing it higher above the flag.
    Just my opinion.
    Good luck with it.
    cheers

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook