Sketchbook: Envisors' daily concepts and sketches - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Envisors' daily concepts and sketches

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iMaiM- thanks for stopping by dude. Glad you like my hands, spent a long time with them. Should be posting more soon.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook, keep up the good work, I like your reference pieces and hands a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, nice sketchbook you have here.
    I haven't seen any anatomy studies from books rather than your head, but I can see evidence that you do them.
    It's rare to see someone at your stage with such confident lines. I can see a bit of "scratching" here and there, but not much at all. Definitely keep that up.
    What kind of pencil do you use? It almost looks like a crayon or something! I'd suggest investing in a cheap 0.5 mechanical pencil. The right pencil and paper is very important, especially at the earlier stages. Mechanical pencil on Bristol board of very smooth paper will make your life easier! Of course you can still use your regular tools as well, but try and be a bit more gestural, sketchy and loose with the thicker pencils.

Do you do any life drawing? I'd highly recommend finding a community college or something and getting into a life drawing class. It will help you infinite fold.

Keep it up dude. You're doing well.

sketchbook
    blog
    website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, keep posting!
    Cheers,

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Algebra- thanks man.
    cartoonfox- thanks for the replie. Ive done some bridgeman studies in page 1, but no other books. Ive just been drawing cartoons and with friends for many years. I use all sorts of pencils, the one I usually use is an HB. But for most of my characters, like Scraps, I use a 0.7 lead pencil. Ill have to check on that bristol board paper. At the moment, just using copier paper. I would join a life drawing class yet sadly, there are none within about 100 miles of where i live, theres a community college but it doesnt offer life drawing. And if they did, I have no job to pay for such a class, and it is really hard to find a job around here, Ive been searching about 3 days out of every week since I graduated last year looking for one. I sure wish I had some cash. Thanks for the comments.
    Chupacabra- thanks for stopping by, and for the compliments.

Some thing I just conjured up in the ol noggin

Some construction of the body from the head as well

Just a sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was too tired to post these Sketches last night.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An ogre concept I've been working this morning. About an hr 1/2 work so far.

Last edited by Envisor; July 6th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're definately getting better like crazy!
    Watch the lenghts of the different body parts, they don't always match in your drawings (though, drawing a sketch of the full figure before starting rendering should resolve most of that!).
    And while around six heads tall is an understandable height for a figure, you should vary it up a bit more. Right now, a lot of your legs look really short for the type of character it seems like you're trying to portray.
    You also might want to edit the scans a bit, you're probably not drawing on gray paper... a little thing, but would make them look nicer on the computer.

Your signature! Oi, I remember hearing that song... it's funny.

Last edited by dmitri; January 21st, 2007 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dmitri- Thanks for the C&C. Ive been working hard to get my proportions right, but they still need lots of work. About the scans, Im working with a crappy scanner, and the values are screwy on it, so I have to adjust the shadows on it to get it to look even close to the actual piece. Kinda sucks, but its the only way of getting my pics on here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Envisor, thanks for stopping by my SB! Your lines are solid, but I will recommendo you to use different sort of pencils for the same drawing, to get more contrast on them, and show the details more precisely.

I dont know about Bridgeman, it seems to be a good reference, but try to do some life drawings on your own as well. And dont go into shading or proportions yet, keep on with your anatomy studies and sketches, and learn the basics first.

I am not an expert, but it works for me. Keep it up!

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jtheanswer- thanks for stopping by dude, and thanks for the tips. I've been switching back and forth from anatomy to my own drawings for a long time. But I'll be posting some anatomy studies soon.

For now here are some sketches. Tried to fix some stuff on my scanner to get the actual look of my piece and kinda succeded. Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here is my Avatar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the your ogre concept, but I'm not sure if the feet are long/big enough to support body. Nice avator.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man:

liked the ogre concept! you should check out ian mcaig's work. actually, if you can you should check out his gnomon tutorial about storytelling. theres this part there when he was designing a character, nothing went to waste. meaning, that this spaceman had this wierd box that he's carying but he gave that box a purpose. so- in terms of your ogre, for a bulky guy like that it would feel more balanced if he had bigger legs. but man, you kick so much ass in rendering values. good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pigeonkill- thanks for the compliment, yeah I know, legs are too short and the feet are too small. I had just woken up, and started to draw it. I noticed everything wrong with it after I ate breakfast, and thats when I didnt want to finish it. But man it looked so cool I just had to post it.
    theredshoe- thanks man. Not too familiar with ian's work. I'll definitly be checking him out. Thanks for passing on the name. Ill also be checking out that tutorial, sounds very interesting and it'll be good for me to work on my characters more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff man The expression in your avatar is priceless.

I have a suggestion. I think you should experiment more with line. Your lines look sketchy and they lack confidence. Try experimenting with different line weights to convey volume and detail - i.e. bold lines for 'outlining' the subject; small, thin lines for details.

Just a suggestion Keep it up man!

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep doing those good looking body contruction sketches! Those are so darn giving.
    try some smaller quicker ones and experiment with poses and so on too.
    you´ve got fine ideas, i really like your concepts!
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...myFromHead.jpg
    these anatomy sketches are pretty badass too, you´ll have to teach me sometime!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, I like the creativity with your last several posts! The female figure sketches up top toward my last post are good! Keep doing some more of those. Your monster with the open jaw reminds me of the movie Blade But that ogre monster looking character stole the show so far. Very cool design, I hope to see you take that and develop it further. Waiting for your next post!

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Envisor, thanks for the comment earlier and good Bridgemann studies. That book was a required text for a Gesture Drawing class I had when I was at school.

I saw your note above about the lack of figure drawing resources near you. You have some pretty decent options apart from drawing nudes. Any place people congregate is a great place to study figure or faces. Malls, libraries, etc. Even places where people are on the move are great for studying gesture. I used to go to the gym and draw people playing basketball or running and you see some real extremes of motion.

There's a ton of opportunity out there so don't get discouraged if an actual figure session is out of reach. Just draw anything that moves

Good luck and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, your stuff is looking much better since the last time i saw your sketchbook, keep up the good work. the anatomy, contrast, and value is deffinatly getting there but it still needs to be pushed farther. after you sketch out your drawing and start to add value you need to use some softer lead pencils (like 4B or 6B). something that will also help is doing a large study (18X24 and up) and speding several hours to really take your time on the drawing. your stuff is really getting better, keep it up

Blog: My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by on my SB!
    There's a lot of development here ^^ it's hard to think of something new to say. Loving the top figure in this one http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...nstruction.jpg
    On the subject of legs I tend to go on the longer side of realism (because I personally think it looks good) but I found if I redrew the lower leg so it ended where I initially had had the bottom of the heel it looked better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff man, your doing just wut you need to, working from ref.

That mural you did for your school turned out pretty nice good perspective and anatomy on the horse. the only thing bugging me is the guys face, but it seems youve improved on faces since last year.

I also like post 97 pretty creative.

keep working.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bunny- thanks for the C&C, I keep telling myself to vary the line thickness, but I keep forgeting to do it, sometimes I get caught up into a concept that I just forget. Will work on it tho.
    Flaskpost- thanks for the compliments man, Just ask me what you want me to post in order to learn and Ill post it.
    darkchild- thanks man, Ive been wanting to work on a stroy line, kinda fantasy, scifi, supernatural type deal. Ill be working on that Ogre more tho.
    peter john- thanks for the advice man, I have thought about that, and have been wanting to do it. I have to do that soon.
    themissinglink- thanks for the C&C man, I tried using at least 6 diffirent gradient pencils in my next post, so give me some tips.
    Adre3es- thanks for the C&C, Ill be working on my legs alot more.
    KanoaRogers- thanks for the comments man, I know, the face is a piece of crap on that one, never had a chance to fix before i graduated. Everyone says that the Ogre is so far my best piece.

A couple pages of SP's. Cant really catch my look right. Kinda looks like if I was of asian descent. I just cant really capture my eyes right. Really sucks, but Im going to try and do an SP each day to try and improve. Well enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have a reference pic or using a mirror? If you have a photo ref, post it along with your study so we can see if there are any mistakes I think these are a good start but without a ref I don't really know what you look like. What I do like is how you captured some of the values in your shirt and face. Keep it up you are sure to improve at this rate

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkchild- Hey man, thanks for stopping by. i used a mirror for those last ones. Sorry, I dont have any recent photo references of me. but I do have these photos, the first couple are from christmas morning before my 17th birthday. Im the tall one with the grey hoody standing next to my short,older brother.. The 3rd photo is my 17th birthday. And the 4th is me getting ready to graduate on May 25th of last year. Make notice that I was a pretty skinny compared to now. I ve put on about 30 lbs since I graduated. Just blows.

Last edited by Envisor; July 6th, 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Envisor. Love the hand studies, looking really good. The rendered figure over the chair looks really good too. Your crosshatching looks great!
    Look forward to seeing more!

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats up dude, thought i would stop by to see some greatness...so i looked in a mirrior, Uhh..., and your sketchbook too. J/K. Your sketchbook is really nice, because of your designs. Me its harder for me to think up stuff and draw while making it look right. Its looks cool in my head but hand fucks everything up, but owell the really cool thing lately is the guy with the robot arm. Your first sketch made it look like he was playing an insivible guitar and give me an ideal. Well i be back to check out the cool stuff again another time.

"The headstrong may win many battles...
    But only the strong of heart will survive the war."

There is a tiger in the bathroom.

Back to the ol' sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73485

Most recent sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=276220

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on the bridgeman studies, you have a good eye. (studies like these are something I definetly need to work on.)

If you want to get more contrast in your work, try using some inks.

cheers.

cherryworx is offline red haired slacker of dubious origins Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for popping by my SB! i see you're going through bridgeman very nicely indeed!. although it looks like photobucket has had a brain fart whilst trying to show your last posts! too big i wonder?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    space-sprayer- thanks for the C&C.
    Ermac- thanks for droppin in dude. And for compliments.
    Nutter- Hey man, thanks for the C&C.
    cherryworx- been a while since you stopped by. Thanks for the comments man, and Ill fix the post within the next couple of hours.

Some hand studies from last night, sorry about the scratchy edges. Been working on those. Kinda bad habit of mine. The third set of hand studies are my favorite. And the 4th pic, I know that theres no way that the guy could have an arm that big, i just thought it looked kinda cool. Enjoy.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1