Sketchbook: Starting my thread, my sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting my thread, my sketchbook

hey guys this is my first time, on conceptart. my name is JOsh i am from denver Co going to AIC majoring in animation. I wanna become a concept artist, for games and movies. i have been drawing my whole life and art is my life. so without further adue. my first sketches on the board.

army design1 heavy unit 1.
    copyright, Joshua Silvas 2006.

Last edited by conceptzaholic10; December 28th, 2007 at 04:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice pics. The only advice I can give you right now is to work more on your anatomy, believe me, it helped my drawings tons, also drawing from life will really help with correct proportions in your art. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like em! dont really get what im looking at but i like it

"Hell is not a place you go if your not a Christian. It's the failure of your life's greatest ambitions."

-Felipe Coronel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool drawings! Very interisting. The form confuses me a bit, thou that creates even more internist. It feels like i need to see more in order to understand your style.

Post more man, I'm curios!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Youve got a nice clean style, but the style is closer to that of animation, comics or graffiti than what you would expect to see from a conceptartist. No offense, but unless a movie or video game studio are making a project in this style they wouldnt have much use for work that is this extremely stylized.
    On top of that I agree that your anatomy and proportion need more work to remain consistent. I'd worry more about getting the foundations of the figure and form down before any excessive stylization.

Sorry if this seems harsh, in the end its about what makes you happy, but if youre looking to become a conceptartist for movies and video games you gotta provide your employerswith what theyre looking for.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the last couple of pics , your shading is much better than that of mine. Keep on keepin on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like what was said, work more on the consistency of your proportions. You're including an adequate amount of muscular details in your figures, and that's a good thing - so get the proportions right and I think you're sweet.

I think you're leaning towards a comic style, so I'd remind you to make use of varying line weights when drawing your characters (thicker and defined lines for areas not receiving light and places where you want the viewer's attention to be). Or you can use solid black shadows if so inclined, the idea is to suggest more volume in your characters than they have now.

Lastly, welcome to the sketchbook forums . There are a lot of other people here who enjoy drawing comic-styled pictures (myself included). I think there's even a group of comic enthusiast on the site, you can find them through the "group" link in the bar at the top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice facial studies, can't wait to see the whole characters. Seems everyone had the same idea I had about your proportions, practice makes perfect, and you know that perfection is just sweet. Sweet stuff though. see the thread tommorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just wonderin how these people are in the industry with, um how did you say it, a clean and stylized form?
    Yeah they have a clean and stylized form. Just about any artist has their own style. What I was getting at was that your degree of exagerration doesnt easily apply to a 3d model for a game or a costume/prop for a movie, and lets face it, thats essentially what conceptart becomes. Hawkprey, Feng and Hyang-tae kim all have distinctive styles, but theyre all still strongly grounded on a realistic foundation. Not only does that make their designs practical, but also allows them to modify their style to suit the project.

Essentially what Im getting at in terms of your own work is to try to study more into the foundations of the figure, anatomy, proportion in terms of realism, and use the principles of what you've learned to exaggerate as much or as little as is needed or you want to.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEy josh! Don't get discouraged. These other concept artists you listed took a looong time to develop the style you see. It doesn't just happen and you just got started. Style comes from how much you practice and how many different things you try. It will always be changing. Follow your dreams no matter what and it will all work out my friend!!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, Ive got a shortcut link here from another part of the site. It has many great tips and tricks for those out there who want to be concept artists, illustrators, and game artists. Check it out, and try some of the excercises. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Josh, thanks for pic references, its going to take a while before I finish that one. Lookin great man, last pics awesome. Keep postin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey bro, i'm having a hard time diciphering whats going on below her waste. I mean i can't tell what is leg and what isn't. This can easily be fixed by varying line wieghts and/or varying shade tones. Very cool design tho, kinda reminds me of the MACH-1 character from Thunderbolts.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Hey man, Thanks for comeing by Your stuff is looking
really good, and you've got some nice tips here aswell , listen to these guys, they know what they are saying
Oh well, as I said, very nice stuff man , just keep it up !

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the red myself but i sort of depends on how you color the rest. Oh by the way i met with the director of that film and i start storyboarding tommarow! Whohoo!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool concepts Josh, Im also partial to the red spartan helmet, but as Penciler said, it depends on how the rest goes. Cant wait to see the character.

My sketchbook- C&C very welcome
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85772

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, hope you havent quit posting, youve been making some good progress. If you did quit, then keep sketching, youve got some great concepts here.

My Sketchbook- C&C very welcome
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85772

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im waiting with anticipation dude. I know its probably just school work and exams and such, but kick up the pace man. lol.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

• Members who have read this thread: 1