WIP: Rock Giant, crits greatly apreciated. (Updated V.02)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP: Rock Giant, crits greatly apreciated. (Updated V.02)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP: Rock Giant, crits greatly apreciated. (Updated V.02)

Hello everyone,

I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with colors and I must say I'm having great fun with it. I participated in the UK vs Scandinavia thunderdome as well as the male pinup calendar and learned a lot even though I couldn't spend the time I wanted on them, I think it's time to really push a piece until I feel it's finished so I'll keep posting WIP's and hopefully with your help I'll learn a lot. Any tips, hints, corrections or paint-overs are greatly appreciated, thats why I'm posting here.

Anyhow, enough blabbering, heres the piece as it looks now: My main worries right now are the perspective and foreshortening on the legs of the giant and I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on weather it works or not before I start fleshing out the shapes and values. Any other crits or thoughts are of course welcome as well.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jove; December 28th, 2006 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Updated title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love that robot! I relly like the concept.
    maybe is not working so good because of the canvas proportions and the perspective youīre using.
    Seems that youīre standing on a tower sketching on top of it, and this is not helping to understand to a watcher that the robot he is seeing is huuuuge.

you should lower your horizon line, to get a more "on the ground" perspective to value the height of the robot.
    Iīve made a paint over to explain better what iīm trying to say.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @elpez: That did wonders, thanks for the suggestion!

Heres how it looks now:
    Name:  gas_vip_02.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  116.3 KB

Does anyone have any other crits or suggestions before I start rendering the whole thing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thereīs something about that bridge, the road and the river that I want to comment.
    The river looks too straight; like itīs been canalized. Maybe you could change itīs course and make it more "natural-looking" and also use it to guide the look of the people through the land of your picture.
    The four lampposts of the bridge are looking a little out of place in the middle of no-where. I mean, looks like thatīs the only ilumination of the whole place, so I would get rid of them or on the contrary make more so all the road could be iluminated.
    I also think that you need something in the lower left hand of the canvas to dialogate with your robot. I donīt know what; a city, a fair, a group of trees, a group of something, a lake... to fill that void.
    hope it could be helpful

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the new angle, though i think you could have done it the other way too. by changing the angle of the landscape to fit the robot. would make for a really neat perspective.

I really like upward angle the clouds are going in, very surreal.

I was also thinking that having someone in the very bottom left would make the monster seem all that much more large.
    well i cant really explain it well. not very good at perspective drawing quite yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the bridge is skewed and I think the road tapers off too fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.