Odin

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Odin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Odin

Ok. As you remember from my painting of Thor, I am doing a series of the Norse god paintings. Here is the preliminary sketch for Odin that I did tonight. I like it, however, I am needing to work out the problem of his hand that is holding his big-ass spear. There is not much detail in this initial sketch, I just wanted to get my idea down on paper. I also need to draw the straps on the sheild and do some other detailing before I paint it, however, I am most interested in correcting the hand holding the spear atm.

draw-over's are welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Honest, I don't try to be an asshole, it just happens!

http://evildragonfire.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup it looks like the right wrist is broken - I'd suggest figuring out where the radius and ulna are positioned as they attach to the hand. The hand is restricted in its range of movement - you may just correct this by changing the angle of the spear?

My sketchbook is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure I remember your Thor thread! That was a very instructive one. Hope this one also become as interesting.
    Like the way the picture is getting, but the way the spear is hold is not quite fitting to me. hope you don´t mind a paint over to clarify what I´m saying.
    cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I did not re-draw anything yet, I simply rotated the wrist and spear by -10. This sets the wrist in line with the arm, now I need to re-draw the anatomy of the hand that is holding the spear. I am also thinking of putting a glove on this hand also to mirror the glove on the other one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The foreshortening on his right arm isn't working. Take a shot of yourself in this pose with a broom or something similar; you'll be amazed. It might also cure him of his Popeyed forearm. On another vein, with his shoulder pulled up that far, I would imagine it would cover more of the beard (helping create some more depth).

I'm stoked that he's carrying some of his legendary weight 'round the mid-section. Check his left fist, though; it seems unproportionally long from base to knuckle (detracting from his thickness, giving him a piano-player feel).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The foreshortening on his right arm isn't working." -I feel the same way. The hand looks too small, too much the same size as the left perhaps- yet the angle and foreshorting of the spear makes me think it should be larger. I really like the drawing. I really like the theme

Humm. looking at it... The invisible line that would run from the point of his helmet to his chin feels a little crooked/curved to me. Like, if you rotated his chin, mouth, and nose clockwise just a tad they would then line up with the angle on his eyes and brow a little more.. maybe. I guess with coloring it might look more like it was this way because of his expression. I knwow when I color it changes things like that A LOT

I think I would like to see a glove on both hands too. *glove fan*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comments guys. You are right, I am having trouble with the foreshortening of the hand holding the spear and turning it into space correctly............meh! Anyway, back to the sketch, trying to fix it right now, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how much you love overpaints so here's my take on the foreshortening.

The main problem that i saw was that while the spear has extreme foreshortening, the arm dosen't. So you need to extend the arm towards the viewer a little more, which also means that you have to start mucking around with the proportions as the hand will now look bigger than usual.

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Slaps forehead* Of course! Thanks Nutter! That is exactly what I was looking to do, for some reason I just could not get it to work, however, now I can redraw it with this wonderful example!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    His helmet seems to sit in an odd way. The brim and the top are a little lopsided. I'm digging the more dynamic composition, but I just don't understand why he's holding the spear like that while he's slashing with it.

Members who have read this thread: 1