Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 661 Posts

Conceptart.org - PLEASE RECYCLE.

Do you recycle?

Examples of recyclable items: Plastic bottles, rechargable batteries, newspapers. Human bodies? Discuss the recycling world here.
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    David Suzuki recycle so much he produces about half a trash bag of garbage a MONTH !

What about those stories about recycling trucks dumping loads into regular trash burying grounds ? anyone has anything interesting to say ?

I try as much as I can but I dont have a spot for compost and whenever I m not home, If I dont see one of those new garbage/recycling disposal, most of it goes to trash unfortunatly...
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Allow me to be the first to say... what?
    For reference, we recycle plastic and newspapers, milk cartons and glass, etc.

Thanks

Thanks
    garbage in japan is split into burnable, nonburnables (plastics mainly), resources (much cooler word than recyclables, -> cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, paper, clothes even). the burnable trash is used to generate electricity i hear, and non burnables for landfill. it's a really good system and i wish it was adopted everywhere else in the world. i hear switzerland has a similar system.

for my own personal needs, i usually sketch on both sides of a paper. discarded paperwork = free sketch paper. memos with notes = free sketch pad. i avoid buying canned drinks, instead i buy these huge bottle of milk tea, about 1.5L which i refill into my small 250ml bottle everyday. i reject plastic bags when buying stuff unless i have no way to store them. used bags are later used to bag rubbish rather than just thrown.

simple stuff like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ah.heng
    garbage in japan is split into burnable, nonburnables (plastics mainly), resources (much cooler word than recyclables, -> cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, paper, clothes even). the burnable trash is used to generate electricity i hear, and non burnables for landfill. it's a really good system and i wish it was adopted everywhere else in the world.
    Cool!

Our neighborhood doesn't have any sort of recycling program, which bums me out. But I do my part to "reduce" by refusing excess packaging and such.

Oh, here's an idea for anyone with magazines lying about: instead of throwing them away, take off your addresses and drop them off at your local emergency room. Your discarded magazines will make life a little more bearable for the folks waiting for treatment, and the look of amazement you will get from the people working there will make you giddy. They're always blown away with gratitude when someone takes the time to drop off magazines.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I recycle. We have a recycling station here where you can drop off glass/paper/plastic when on the way to the store/mall, so it's pretty convenient. I also have a compost that all food residuum go into. Inside there's a worm/bug culture that turns most edible things into good soil (for the garden) in a few months. Out of the soil comes carrots, berries and spices that I eat. I couldn't eat them when Tjernobyl blew up though (it's just across the baltic sea).

Stuff that I don't need goes to charity.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    I recycle. Many of my pet peeves revolve around recycling. It gets under my skin like nothing else when people just don't give a crap about recycling, or throw paper and stuff in the trash when a recycle bin is right next to the fucking trash can!! It just makes me want to line 'em up and slap 'em.
    Another things that really bothers me is how sorry the recycling programs have been at the colleges I've been to. It's inexcusable not to have a recycling container in an art room where people are constantly producing recyclable paper waste.

Thanks
    For the most part, it results in more pollution and more cost in general, but I do it anyway. Dunno why really.

Thanks
    Well, I have to. Or the trash will not be collected by the garbage truck. By law, we have to separate biological waste (vegetables, tea, coffee grounds) from residual waste (meat/food remains, used paper, pizza carton) and Green-Dot-garbage (plastic, plastic packaging, metal sheeting). Also, you have to divide waste paper, and three kinds of glass (brown, green, white).

And it hurts so much when the garbage truck arrives, pulls up all the finnicky separated stuff and throws it down into a single storage compartment. This is why most people don't care so much about recycling. But I think it's worth it, economically and ecologically.

Thanks
    Soylent.

Green.

Everyone has some on them.

Thanks
    In the dorms we have a recycle bin but I'm pretty sure htye chuck it in with the rest of the trash anyway. Also it doesn't say what to put in it, so tissues and plastics and paper all end up in there. I do recycle when I have properly marked bins. Its discouraging to even bother at my dorm because you hand them the bag of recyclable stuff and they chuck it in with the rest regardless of what's in it.

Thanks
    Our society uses recycling as a band aid for a much larger problem. We generally package our goods way beyond what is really necessary, usually for transportation protection, shelf domination, advertising etc.
    For example, do cereals really need to be kept in boxes as well as plastic bags? And then they go into another plastic or paper bag when you purchase them?

Our "fast" lifestyles and the expansion of supermarkets as the primary source of our goods determines the nature with which we recive them.

Who goes to an open air market these days to buy vegetables? Who actually buys fresh vegetables to cook? Who actually lives within walking distance of a growers market? Who buys meat direct from the butcher, rather than from the packaged frozen goods dept?

When we examine these questions, and relate them to our buying habits you can then see the fundamental issues that bring packaging and the need for recycling into debate.
    Supermarkets sure are cheap and instantly convenient, but they have brought about more than just the demise of the small business.
    If you are anywhere near a growers market, or even a wholesalers, my advice is to make the extra effort to shop there, shop regularly and shop fresh, take a durable bag or trolley with you and have fun not waiting in queues ten deep.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Soylent.
    Green.
    Everyone has some on them.
    What's that made from?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin
    What's that made from?
    Soylent Green is people!