Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Environments and the I'm-sick-of-looking-at-myself self portrait poster

Yo CA'ers. Here's some digital environments from Nov/Dec. I'm graduating in spring so any advice would be most appreciated! I compiled 27 of the sixty self portraits from this semester. Honestly, I'm tired of looking at myself, so I'm done with this project. Although, I'm excited for my new project for spring. I want to paint an envirenment a day! Should be fun, we'll see how it works out . Anyway, happy holidays! Hope you all have a very intoxicated New Years .

Last edited by SprayNation; January 1st, 2007 at 07:31 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nice stuff i like the self portraits.

Thanks
    Great portraits. It think the second scenery picture could use more atmospherics and some bright reflections of the sun on the water. Highlights, they're your friend!

Thanks
    pretty good stuff,

one thing I noticed right away, was your perspective!
    it's not quite right in some areas in those environments.
    if you're serious about doing stuff like that, in my opinion, you've GOT to have that perspective stuff down pat!

Thanks
    Hey Eric, I hear about ya from Kenji and Den a lot. I think you're definitely working on and thinking about the right things to become a complete concept artist. The self-portraits are fun and valuable, props for getting to sixty!

I think your buildings look like toy versions of buildings, especially in the last two. In the second one they're broken up into such tiny bits that they're just a busy nuisance made out of toothpicks. In the third one, I like how the crowd simplifies. It would be twice as cool if the buildings did some more of that simplifying via color or value. Just zoom out more often and let some areas simplify for the sake of a balanced image. I like the first image, but I still think it's in need of some serious atmosphere to make some focus. If you turned the first one into a grayscale piece and shrunk it down to thumbnail size, it would mush together into nothingness. Great art doesn't do that! Otherwise, just be careful with perspective. You're gridding up things so much that you have to be spot-on or it looks wrong. There's a bunch of little places in the third one with that going on.

I didn't mean to come across like some know-it-all jerk with this stuff, Eric. You got moxie, kid. Keep it up, and good luck with convincing the CCAD teachers to let you work on portfolio instead of editorial assignments .
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Adam278: Glad you like

Dragon4Lunch: Hmm, my illustrative drawing teacher was suggesting this as well. I'll revisit that, thanks!

Tad: Yes, I would agree. Probably the most mistakes are in the third one. Sometimes when I start an environment, I won't guide lines until I have a composition I like. Usually I'll start with just blobs of shapes until I like the design, then I'll decide the horizon line and vanishing points. This might be hazardous, but I enjoy taking risks in the early stages. Anyway, I used to think I was pretty savvy at perspective, but now I don't think so, LOL! Glad to hear someone else thinks so (even though it is pretty obvious in some area's).

Andy: No way dude, crits are the best! These crits are all valid. I think the design of the buildings in the second one is very poor. They mass together too much, not making room for more interesting negative shapes. LOL, the toothpicks were made as an attempt to get some size differentiation; unfortunately, they are just a nuissance. I always begin a painting at 50% scale, for design sake. Although, as I get more into the painting, I neglect the painting as a whole. My roommate noted this too. I'm a little lost when it comes to atmosphere. Besides the obvious, things that recede get more softer-edged and neutralized (or more chromatic depending on the time of day). Probably just means more studying from life on my part. Anyway, I'll keep practicing. Don't hesitate to drop a crit whenever you feel like. I prefer crits to positive comments anyway. (not that I don't like an ass pat every month or so, LOL)

Thanks
    what up Eric!
    looks like youve been busy as hell man
    so have i, and have NOTHING to show for it...yay.
    hope youre last semester goes well man, id like to make a sketch group one of these days again.
    keep me in the loop yo!
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    mr. e!
    sweet job on the sp series!
    great enviros too!....always a treat to see your work en masse.
    cheers,
    d
    There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    hey dude pretty sweet to see all those portraits in one place.

that spaceship in the first one is wack though.

Thanks
    Wow, those portraits are great, keep them up!!!

I love the austin powers one, hahaha

Thanks
    Skanks: Dude, I've been hella' unproductive the last two weeks. Anyway, are you coming back next semester or next year? Thanks for droppin' by!

Redehlert: Thanks, glad you enjoy them. Keep killin' those COW's Red!

Joe: Thanks dude. In defense of your comment, look at the millinium falcon. You think that clunky frisbee could travel light speed?? hahaha, you ID kids.

Crush: Thanks dude. The Powers one is pretty retarded, I know lol.

Thanks
    The Self Portraits are nice as I mentioned on previous occassions. there are some distortions in some of those buildings and there are things that are just not right in those environments. Try laying perspective grids down to get what you want. maybe do some little thumbs to get what you want. you can even go the lengths of doing some small marker renderings to help get what you want visually. I am no expert though as I am in the same bout trying to figure out environments myself. Keep going with your work! Much improved! XD

Thanks
    I need to ask, since these look like they were done by looking into a mirror (my point is moot if they are from photos) how do you accomplish different light situations if you are doing them digitally? Do you work via a laptop or do you just have various shades/lamps to play around with?

Thanks
    Beelow: Yes, there are alot of little tweeks that need to be made. I'm going to start paintings with a layer of only guide lines. These three were all started as speedpaints, and didn't expect to develop them further; nevertheless, the perspective should be correct from the beginning. Thanks Beelow.

Medieve: These were all done from life. My camera has been broken for the last year unfortunately . Anyway, I have a tri-head lamp light. So I can create a new lighting situation every day! Some of the daylight portraits were difficult to paint because of the sun changing postitions. Anyway, I'm done with these portraits. Thanks Medieve!

Thanks
    kick ass enviroments dude.

your self portraits rock. looks like you had some rough mornings/nights lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast