Sketchbook: PigeonKill's - Sketchbook - PENCIL HONEY - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: PigeonKill's - Sketchbook - PENCIL HONEY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks for dropping by again! Really liking the studies, keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas_J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re

updating posting, still editing with comments...

Grandmassa Mr. Spect: Thanks. Dang, I was hoping the priest more European. So I'll have to work on that.
    HunterKiller: I studied in graphic design and mid way through the program I fell in love with illustration. I earned by B.A and went to work, but couldn't stop being fascinated with drawing, painting and exploring different styles as you mentioned.

"What I've found is that 'academic' drawing has limited ties to 'stylized' drawing. Being awesome at drawing from life is not going to make you awesome at drawing cartoons, it requires a different set of skills and mode of thinking.[...] This is where I think you're most going wrong, you're trying to everything 'make sense' and not thinking about the interaction of shapes and their design."

I agree with you. Cartooning takes a different mod of thinking and skill set.(Which I'm still need to keep building) Jakers mention before "...don't only study it on that page, really try and apply all those things to real drawings as well! thats the hard part." I assume he means for the realistic concept works. Wheres your comment is not too have real life mechanics hamper the creative flow in cartooning, focus a bit more on flat graphic shapes. It's a bit of a paradox that makes my head spin. I'll try apply your lesson on more simple shapes into cartooning on my next post. Thank you, awesome post.

Linnaine: Thanks for stopping by.
    Courtyard: Thanks he was a great model to draw.
    Braintree Thank you I'll keep posting.

Last weekend I was looking forward to doing some nice studies at the Museum at Legion of Honor at San Francisco, but something bizarre happened. As I was studying a painting and I was haggled by security personals. The first encounter I was told that artist aren't aloud to sit on the ground while drawing. Okay no problem, so I stood up and continued to draw. A few minutes later another security personal walks up to me and tells me I'm not permitted to sharpen my pencil. Maybe she thinks I'm going to make a mess or something. So I showed her the area is completely clean and my sharpener is self-contained. I complied with no more sharpening and mention that I'll just use a per-sharpen pencil I have instead, if that's okay? She says that's fine and to enjoy the museum as she walked away.

I felt like I was being watched... Not being discouraged I moved in a different area. I'm stopped by a another gentlemen, and I was told my drawing board was too big.(I'm using a 11x17" drawing pad) I said okay, If it's just my drawing board that's too big. I can just remove the board and stick with my smaller drawing pad instead? He thinks a bit and says No. I need to get a wavier to get permission to draw with my pad, because now my pad's too big. So I politely ask, may I have a wavier? He says I can get it online. At this point it's getting ridiculous...Why aren't these rules even posted on wall before admission into the museum if they are so important? Why aren’t the wavier provided on the premise if they know artist draw at museums regularly?

So I was suggested to talk to head of security, maybe get permission. I told them about the situation and I was sent around in a BIG circle. Security personal>Head of Security>Membership Staff>General Admission staff>THEN back to security where I first started. It was completely unprofessional and ran like a circus…it was not like that a few years ago. I was lucky to get a refund. I been to dozens of museums, along as artist don’t make mess or disturb others, they greatly encourage them to study and not scare them away. Meh, I just wanted to draw and be left in peace.

Anyways It was neat to squeezed in two quick warm up studies of 1800's french painting study and one by Luca Giordono. I was saving my last two hour to study a William Bouguereau painting but was denied the chance.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Pigeonkill; March 16th, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome skull, though I think the forehead is a bit too high.

Also think you're doing a great job on your manga characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skulls are awesome. Keep them up!

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Museum of Legion of Honor at San Francisco... I'll make a note to not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonKill
    Wheres your comment is not too have real life mechanics hamper the creative flow in cartooning
    To a certain extent, yes. Of course you must still consider real life mechanics such as form, perspective and rhythm.

The hard part is knowing what to apply and what to ignore, but I guess that's how the style is formed.
    I've found it to be very helpful to study from proficient cartoon artists.
    Old Disney artists is an obvious source. You might wanna check out Cheeks on Deviantart.
    Be sure to check out Claire Wendling, who's stylistic designs are godly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rendering on that skull is GORGEOUS. I'm sorry about your museum experience...people and their motivations really confuse me sometimes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to courtyard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, PK.. just stopping in to say hi. Diggin' your studies and the colors you've been using. I especially like the horse-skull SP pic Keep crankin' out the animals!

Cheers

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AmontilladoAg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook! These last studies are looking good, too bad you didn't get to study the Bouguerau painting. I can tell there's been lots of improvement since page 1, keep up the good work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PieMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How unfortunate to be hassled when you just want to study in a museum.
    Nice skull study and render.
    Figure drawing can include that 2D discipline of graphic & shape design in the process. Masters such as Velasquez always considered the negative space in a composition, so, a certain design of silhouette is necessary, I believe. Anyway, I always begin my lay-ins with a 2D shape frame. If it doesn't work on that level, the drawing will most likely suffer.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AimBiZ, Actually the skull I studied had a really large odd cranium. But your suggestion makes it look better so I cropped the top and updated the older version up top. Thanks.
    Hive_minD, Thanks, skulls are one of my favorite subjects.
    HunterKiller, I checked out Claire Wendling awesome animal drawings and cartoons. Cheeks on Deviantart took me a while to find his works, I kept getting Spongebob Squarepants, squirrel character "Cheeky"...haha. I think Cheeky did the very stylized Spider Man concepts? They look pretty fresh and sleek long curves.
    courtyard, Thanks a bunch. I wish I had more room and could budget more skeletons for studies. I have have plaster mask, I should start digging soon.
    AmontilladoAg, Thanks, I still remember the great horse tips you gave me. Good to see you again. I'll be sure to check out your sketchbook.
    PieMonster, Thanks. Yea studying a Bouguerau painting would have been really sweet.
    AztcFireFlower, Okay I'll try to focus with lay-ins in 2d shapes. For your shaded gestures, do you shade after the outline or do you shade/outline at the same time, like using the side of the pencil and one shot the two processes together?

cArToOn CaRtOoN

So I gave many good suggestions from HunterKiller. Focusing on graphic shapes and not trying to force "sense/realism" into the cartooning. I used a blue pencil then darken with 2b...which kind of killed initial fresh line work on the first set of Spartan cartoons. Then I loosen up and one shot the other one, which I like better. The fashion like dolls are more of my older style, I guess with less graphic shapes. Meant for possible giftware line.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; March 17th, 2009 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know folks who design the shadow pattern as they lay in the figure, and they do an amazing job. 90% of the time, I do a quick lay-in framework 1st, to help check width and find placement of parts of the body. Then construct shapes and shadow patterns over this. You can imply volume with overlaps as well.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AztcFireFlower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    killer updates an that skull is off the chain dig the values an wicked lines

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re

AztcFireFlower: Great tips. People who can design the shadow pattern as they lay in the figure. I'm working up to that level. I found for myself when I plot lines and then shadows, it isn't as fresh.

Grandmassa Mr. Spect, Thanks I hope I get that level of polish with faces. Though there isn't too many figure drawing workshop classes close by unless I car pool a hour and half out of town.

Here is an updated Priest painting. Not sure if it would look better with the tongue sticking out. Flaskpost, I studied some lightening and I hope you approve.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; March 19th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin good! You could always try doing the tounge and see. I think it sounds like a good idea, because it adds a bit the feeling of that the snake is moving. That's my theory at least.

Will you add some nice details on the clothes, like fancy priests have?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are some absolutely beautiful work in here! I'm really envious of your pencil line. There's loads of life and character in your drawings, especially. I'll be coming back for sure, plenty of inspiration here!

Love that last painting Really dig how the snake pops out of the 2D suddenly!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AimBiZ, Okay I'll add more embossing to the priest and a snake tongue.
    AsaB, You draw cute witches in your sketchbook. Thanks for stopping by.

Here are some perspective practice. Boring but it must be done. I'll be practicing more of Seedling's Perspective guides. Sometimes I would go around the neighborhood and draw houses from memory. Here are some warm up sketches for a commission for players Truessence & Silvana on a game server I play.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; March 21st, 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re:

Perspective exercise, from Seedling's tuts. Logo done for Westland Giftware.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the perspective studies are great an that run around story at the museum was crazy ... good show cant wait for some more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow--wicked perspective studies here. Really inspirational. The painted house is beautiful, but the surroundings seem to be contradict its perspective somehow...it would be cool to see the rest of that image finished if you have time. That logo is incredible!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool perspective studies! hahaha i like this concept a lot! keep pushing mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u have great ideas and seems like u have a lot of motivation in you.

keep up with the studies, I will be back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very strong studies and lots of life and motivation. Good work, keep it up =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re

Grandmassa Mr. Spect, Thanks I'll keep up the studies with perspective.
    courtyard, Thanks the logo was fun to do. I haven't done a illustration style logo in a while. So it was treat.
    Brun, Thanks I'll keep the motivation up and keep experimnenting.
    Josef K., Haha, THis is Sparta!
    Eva K, Thanks I'll keep practicing from life, I want to do draw cute animals like you one day.

There was a unique exercise in the book,Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. It asked to re arrange a few given images to make a new story. I took it to another level and instead of just doing a few panels, I did a few pages using screenshots. I think it helps train in be able pacing and edit the story. Just swapping a few images can really change the context of the it.

The story addresses some issues that happened at a game server, I tried to keep in mind the player players who were unable to express or speak out against what they saw was wrong.

Here is a parody of anime series Death Note, Screenshot Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re

AimBiZ Here is the updated painting of the priest with the tongue sticking out of the snake. I also added a splash of color to add more life. I prefer the priest to look less Asian and more Mid-eastern or European. Time to move on to other projects.

Female alien concept below as well as random sketches. I'll be practicing on more faces next, and perspective here and there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha that anime parody is funny keep up the good work!

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest batch of studies look great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fumble: Thanks glad you found them funny
    Wasker Thank you I'll keep studying, I'm revisiting a lot of the basics.

Since I was practicing perspective I need to brush up on it applying to the body. So here are some art dump of Andrew Loomis Studies and apply them on the side. Speedy paint with my in game Wifey on the show who wants to be a millionaire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh, me really likes the alien chick at #266.

The priest is coming along nicely as well.

And great studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'C' Douche Bag ... WAIT'' Bald Female 'B' a Bald Female Final Answer! (wincez* yes/no ...dont know what is it?)
    so many great updates keep ROOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCK'N

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to say the same thing as AimBiz about the alien lady--she has a really interesting design. Great work on the studies!

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 56