Sketchbook: ironorchid's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ironorchid's sketchbook

Hi, I've been lurking here for a bit and finally decided that I had better start putting up some of my work. I'm a student, I finished a bachelor's in Japanese about a year ago and I want to do a second degree in either Illustration or Sequential Art. I've been taking art classes at a community college to beef up my portfolio. Here's a couple to start:

Name:  mike1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  rita1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  127.1 KB

(Some of the darkness of the lines is because of my camera setup/photoshop editing)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On frist image there is something wrong with left leg, but besides is really nice
    both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I see what you mean with the left leg, the foot especially. Got to get to the point where I catch that kind of thing while I'm drawing and not just looking at things afterwards...

Here's some more from the same class:

Name:  rita2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  mike2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  110.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid work man!
    I would suggest you use directionals lines more
    keep it coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks. What do you mean by directional lines Renier? Style of shading, or something else?

Name:  mike3.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  sara2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  503.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see lots of marks being used to describe things that could be described in much less. Especially with your core shadows... try and economize the way you lay down your values. If you're putting too many marks down... even if you succeed in capturing the values successfully ... you'll run the risk of your artwork looking overworked....

Another thing I'm seeing the highest areas of contrast in these images being put in odd places... for example... in a couple of these the highest area of contrast in the entire drawing is in the legs or the boots. That would be great if that's where you wanted people to look but I sense that it is not. Try and remember that a huge part of what you're trying to accomplish is leading the eye around your picture. You do this using contrast... and detail... (among many other things) ... try and put the most strokes into the area where your want people to look... and the least into the parts that aren't really as important. Even someone who is planning on fully rendering their entire drawing... will economize their strokes so that people look at for instance the face or upper body..... or the hands... wherever they want the focus to be.

The other thing is values... Even if values may look a certain way on the model... you still want to make it look good in your image. Not saying that you have to lie on paper... just that you have artistic license to bump he contrast in some areas... and take intensity away from others ... try and remember this when you are drawing.

Also when you're looking at the model try and think about the construction of things... I'm assuming like me you are going to school for art so I will say a few things about figure drawing. I've learned from experience that figure drawing can be very good, but it can also be very useless as well. There were times where I was going to lots of figure drawings and getting very little accomplished. There were times when I was going to figure drawings... and measured my progress by how well my images turned out when I looked back on them. I consider figure drawing a means by witch to further the students' knowledge. Whenever you go into a figure drawing session.... try and give yourself a purpose. Whether it's drawing in your studio class, or drawing in an out of class session... there should always be a purpose or a goal that you are trying to accomplish regarding your understanding... be specific. IMO nothing can be worse than going into a figure drawing session and not really knowing why you're there. Try and say "today I'm going to work on this... and here's how!" before you even walk in the door. This will put you well on your way. Half of school is about learning how to learn I think

Anyway... hope I didn't bore you with my ranting.
    I'll check back
    ~Ben

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.