Frankenstein help please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Frankenstein help please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Frankenstein help please

Hey, i've been working on this for a bit, and i was hoping i could get some crits on it, i'm having issues with the eye, well, anatomy in general i suppose. anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good shading on the face, but the hand currently looks fuzzy, it was difficult for me to understand what he was doing with it. Try making that a little clearer with some sharper contrast.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the cropping of the photo makes the arm completely confusing, its honestly hard to tell if its coming from another figure or Frankenstein's monster, as studiozel said, the image is pretty blurry, i'd spend some time sharpen the key features up you want to have the viewers eye at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think on the face the nose/eye/cheekbone area is too congested-i say space some of that out...or decide which way his face is leaning-right now the nose plane and jaw are tilting in different directions...but hey! i'm likin the details on the piece, and that dried flesh is top notch man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you have rendered out the details. The staples and skull cap area are pretty cool. I agree with mrgrumble, the jaw is tilted and we see both sides of the teeth etc but the rest of the head is in perfect profile. Place a center line down the face and try and draw through the head. If you have a willing friend see if you can take a photo of this pose. It will help immensely. I did a paint over, hope it helps.

Name:  Frankenstein.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  118.5 KB

good luck!

roger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone for the replies. that paint over is great. seein it like that is deffinetly helping me. I have to say i agree with everything said so far.

not to sound like im dodging critiques, but my original idea for the pic was to have the monster running away from a figure in the background. with the hope that the crop of him almost out of frame would make him look more frantic in his attempt to get away. now that i'm looking at it again, i agree it looks like someone elses arm. you think i could fix the problem by extending the crop past his elbow?

i got carried away with drawing the face and then i got carried away with the the details before i got the figure anatomically acurate. so that's really something i need to fix with myself.

as for the blurriness, are you guys refering to the hand/arm, or the picture in general? because that's just kinda how i always start to draw is in big blurry strokes, as seen on the hand. i should probably stop doing that...

again, thank you very much! i really apreciate the help. i'll be using the paint over to, hopefully, fix the pic.

anymore crits are more than welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so i just got a chance to revise the pic. i actually started a completely new drawing rather than fix the other, so i'm not sure if i should still be posting in here, or have this moved to the wip section.

if i could get some critiques on this i'd really appreciate it. the pic is early so i really hope you guys can make out the features.

I did have a reference this time, which is this guy.
    unfortunatly i think the pic is looking way too much like him....

so, i'm going to go to town on finishing up the drawing and i'll post another update when i get it alot closer to done.

again, any comments are very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, the revision has lost some of the manic energy of the original. I like the closed eyes of the original and the exaggerated expression. Maybe you can combine the energy of the original with the corrected perspective/form of the revision?

I'm an old fart.

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.