Art: Resin Kit Tutorial ,new stuff 4/1/2011 - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Resin Kit Tutorial ,new stuff 4/1/2011

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely stuff! I always wondered how to cast in resin well (I was a witness to the Spawn resin / soft vinyl casting horror back in the day). Kent, did you say that you do miniatures as well? I would love to see some of your work.

And someone asked about Magic Sculpt... it really should be used mixed with another epoxy compound as it is almost translucent by itself. It works great mixed with green stuff and the resulting mixture has a great wax-like consistency. I've not seen it used in a large scale work before, though (the cost... the cost...).

Thanks Kent and keep up the great work!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks doggy and novenus, novenus I have done miniatures for a few companies back in the nineties verlinden, and warrior scale models busts mostly but its been so long i can only find a few pictures the rest are in storage . the two busts are a few of the pieces I did in that era.Anyway as for the majic sculpt, this piece was sculpted almost entirely out of super sculpey I added a thin layer of magic sculpt to skin the piece in the final process. as for the translucency of It I havent found that at all in fact the stuff I use has no translucency at all, Im wondering if we are talking about the same stuff?.Anyway, Thanks for your interrest in this process novelus I will see If i can find any miniatures from the old days and post them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i don't now how i missed this, just seen your pics over at clubhouse and had to comment here too.Awesome sculpt and awesome detail in your tutorial, thanks for taking the time out to show us how it's done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANKS AGAIN TO ALL, FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS ON THIS TUTORIAL .EVERYONE HAS BEEN VERY PATIENT. I HAVE BEEN PREPPING FOR WONDERFEST IN LATE MAY. I HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED TO GET THREE PIECES READY FOR THAT EVENT . TO DO THIS I HAD TO PRIORITISE MY TIME A LITTLE . I STOPPED MOLDING THE CREATURE SO I COULD COMPLETE THE THIRD PIECE . I WILL BE RELEASING THIS CREATURE . THE BIG FOOT BUST AND THE CREATURE DUDE FOLLOWING( STILL WORKING ON A NAME FOR IT) I WILL BE MOLDONG ALL THREE PIECES TOGETHER TO SAVE TIME . THAT IS WHY PROGRESS HAS SLOWED SO FORGIVE ME FOR THAT . ANYWAY THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THAT HAVE VISITED THIS TUTORIAL I WILL BE COMPLETEING IT IN EARLY MAY. THIS NEW PIECE IS UNFINISHED BUT ITS GETTING CLOSE TO COMPLETION, I WILL SHOW A FEW OF THE STEP'S IN THIS TUTORIAL THAT MAY BE USEFUL. i HAVE ALOT OF ACCESSORIZING TO DO ON IT YET SKIN TEXTURE, BELTS ETC. I HOPE YOU LIKE IT , IM ONLY SHOWING IT IN THIS FORUM RIGHT NOW TO MAKE UP FOR MY DELAYS . THANKS AGAIN!

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by kent kidwell; April 25th, 2007 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kent kidwell View Post
    THANKS AGAIN TO ALL, FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS ON THIS TUTORIAL .EVERYONE HAS BEEN VERY PATIENT. I HAVE BEEN PREPPING FOR WONDERFEST IN LATE MAY. I HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED TO GET THREE PIECES READY FOR THAT EVENT . TO DO THIS I HAD TO PRIORITISE MY TIME A LITTLE . I STOPPED MOLDING THE CREATURE SO I COULD COMPLETE THE THIRD PIECE . I WILL BE RELEASING THIS CREATURE . THE BIG FOOT BUST AND THE CREATURE DUDE FOLLOWING( STILL WORKING ON A NAME FOR IT) I WILL BE MOLDONG ALL THREE PIECES TOGETHER TO SAVE TIME . THAT IS WHY PROGRESS HAS SLOWED SO FORGIVE ME FOR THAT . ANYWAY THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THAT HAVE VISITED THIS TUTORIAL I WILL BE COMPLETEING IT IN EARLY MAY. THIS NEW PIECE IS UNFINISHED BUT ITS GETTING CLOSE TO COMPLETION, I WILL SHOW A FEW OF THE STEP'S IN THIS TUTORIAL THAT MAY BE USEFUL. i HAVE ALOT OF ACCESSORIZING TO DO ON IT YET SKIN TEXTURE, BELTS ETC. I HOPE YOU LIKE IT , IM ONLY SHOWING IT IN THIS FORUM RIGHT NOW TO MAKE UP FOR MY DELAYS . THANKS AGAIN!
    YES!!

Been watching and wondering where you'd run off to - was t-h-i-s close to posting a thread *bump* .. but patience is a virtue and all - especially when it comes to such creative and skilfully produced pieces; never mind your taking the time to document the process to educate we unwashed masses.

You're priorities are fully understandable KK, and I can't see where taking a break to participate in a show or simply furthering your art will ever be a problem.

Glad to know you've still got this little tute in the back of mind - I know I look forward to every update.

This WIP piece looks awesome - keep up the great work, best of luck at WonderFest, and hope to see some more WIP's real soon.

la

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice piece as always

It's gonna be great texturing, pose...

i like the beast, maybe its face is a little too much similar to the one your are casting, but it's nice

How did you make the helmet? , always a problem for me
    following next steps
    bravo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANKS VERY MUCH LILALEX AND PEJAY , PEJAY I HAD TO TAKE A LOOK AT THE SIMILARITIES AND WAS SHOCKED. THOSE DAMN EYES ARE VERY SIMILAR . THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT. i SPENT SO MUCH TIME ON THAT LAST PIECE I THINK ITS BURNED INTO MY BRAIN..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sir Kent Kidwell or anyone else, members and artists...

I have a casting and molding question for you.
    I recently made a horse's head for my love.
    And i would like to cast and mold it. Here are the pics.

Do you think i could easily make it in two parts? Ears could be a problem?

Should i do a three pieces mold? Or silicone will release the piece easily? What would you suggest?
    if you have the answer !

thanks

Last edited by pijay-brown; April 30th, 2007 at 04:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice tutorial - I know how you feel when you say you are the only one in 300 miles who know (or cares) about what sculpey is
    My friends and family couldn't care less about my creations. Thank god for internet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey pijay, from the look of it i dont think you will need a 3 part mold . silicon is soft enough to handle it. i would fill the inside of the ears a little. Rubber is flexible but it tears when you try pulling it from to small an opening. An example is you can make a tiny hole in an egg and fill an egg with rubber. but once cured you will have to break the egg to remove the rubber.your horse ears cavity may be larger then the opening.let me know how it works, I forgot to answer your question about the helmet , I place a thin layer of soft chevant clay around the head and sculpted my helm over it using super sculpey firm. I then baked the dude with the helm on the chevant melted out and left a loose helm behind a little clean up of the chevant and walla. I added the chainmail currass in magic sculpt epoxy putty. cool head by the way..

Last edited by kent kidwell; May 1st, 2007 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i am the 102 dalmatian's to post

Thanks a lot for your answers.
    Thanks for your advises. i would prefer a 2 pieces mold.I am not sure to mold and cast it yet. But if i do it i will show you the result

And thanks for the helmet too, i will try a day

Thanks (well lot of thanks in fact in my post...weird)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok here is the continuation of the mold process ..this completes the tail . also starting the body using klean clay . wich is a soft (cheap)oilbase clay used for modeling or mold making . I prefer this method to wet clay . its cleaner and also faster . its also reusible . If you are using modeling clay make sure it is sulfer free.Sulfer reacts to silicon sometimes.I also wanted to point out this rubber would be normally de-gassed after Mixing prior to pour using a vacuum chamber but i dont have one. It will still work but If you are pressure casting / spin casting the resin castings you may get dimples on surface of casting . hand pouring is not that greatest a way to get a casting but for a small run and if you are not wanting to go crazy this will do in a pinch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will have more pics of the tail tomorrow . here are some of the creatures body during lag up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thread is alive ! yaaaaay ! Thanks Kent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear Mr. kent kidwell or anyone else,

"This is the best casting and molding tutorials on the net"
    I want to mold a bowl. Here's the picture:

How should I mold this bowl? I really need your suggestion...(a skecth will be helpfull)

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks egerie and triast , triast you asked for it . hope this helps . make sure to review all the details about mixing and stuff in earlier sections. most common mistake is forgetting to use mold release between layers . I would also apply it to your original before any rubber gets poured onto its surface . enjoy !

Last edited by kent kidwell; May 29th, 2007 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeaahhh...great explanations....
    thank you very much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Kidwell, I know a lot of people have said thanks but it can't be said enough... Thank You!

It's amazing how you've taken the time to photograph and explain everything so clearly. This is a true Master Class on materials, sculpting, preparing for molding, mold making... and so much more.

I can tell you're a modest person but I hope you understand how grateful people are for all the time and knowledge you are sharing.

Okay, I have to say it again. Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks triast ,my pleasure . anytime!

gdragon Im blown away a very nice compliment. Im always concerned im missing something or fail to cover a detail that will misdirect someone so I greatly appreciate the validation. I had a very frustrating time going through the learning process myself . I worked for companies that intentionally would try to frustrate learning afraid of competition. if I know the answer to something you got it , thanks again and happy sculpting..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boy -- I tell you, I totally second GDragon's sentiments. This has been one heck of a ride, Kent! Excellent, excellent information and explanations.

Your willingness to teach what you know is truly appreciated. Heck, I don't collect sculptures, but you make me want to buy some of yours (not only because they are totally Kick A!, but because you're a great person to boot).

THANK YOU!

Will

"Burp"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to add my praise also.. For what you do to teach and for the time you spend to do it.. Thanks Kent. Awe inspiring work too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I joined just for this thread. I hope you will come back and finish it. Thank you SO MUCH for being so generous with your knowledge!

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can i get KLEAN KLAY in the UK ?????

Hi, i'm brand new here, so not sure of my way around yet.

I was searching google for an answer to a question and i stumbled upon this site which looks awsome to me.

I live in the UK, and desperately need to get my hands on some KLEAN KLAY.

But i cant find it anywhere, Alec Tiranti's have never heard of it, and i have some resin casting to do for the first time, lots of it!

I have emailed some companys in the USA asking them if they would ship some, but so far not one of them has gotten back to my emails.

Can anyone on here help? Maybe even provide LINKS to reliable sources?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bat-fink,

I live in the UK too, and been trying to find a Kleen Klay supplier to no avail, I think the only alternative is going to be to use another brand of sulpher free clay or plasticene.

I'm thinking of ordering something like chavant NSP soft (nsp stands for non-sulpher plastilene) which should be as safe to use for mold making as Kleen Klay, just a more expensive alternative (although we already pay a premium for modeling products over here compared to those guys on the US Mainland, see Kent I said mainland, I know you pay a premium too to get stuff shipped out ).

I'm just waiting to hear if chavant nsp is fine to use for this before I try it out on any big projects.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kent kidwell View Post
    I will have more pics of the tail tomorrow . here are some of the creatures body during lag up.
    All Hail Mighty King Kent!!

You ID one in the pic labeled [set piece half down half up], but - How do you know where to place the 'divide line'? It seems (ha a pun!) that it would be very easy to place the divide line too low or high on the sculpt, which could cause monstrous (and another!) undercuts - or is it just an "Experience Thing"?

I'd also again like to add my Thanks and expression of gratitude for the time and attention you've given to this thread, and for your willingness to share info that's fairly difficult, if at all, to come buy - very rare, and very much appreciated.

Thanks -
    la

btw - the mods need to make this thread sticky, or I'm coming over there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey monkeywiz,

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywiz View Post
    Hey Bat-fink,

I live in the UK too, and been trying to find a Kleen Klay supplier to no avail, I think the only alternative is going to be to use another brand of sulpher free clay or plasticene.

I'm thinking of ordering something like chavant NSP soft (nsp stands for non-sulpher plastilene) which should be as safe to use for mold making as Kleen Klay, just a more expensive alternative (although we already pay a premium for modeling products over here compared to those guys on the US Mainland, see Kent I said mainland, I know you pay a premium too to get stuff shipped out ).

I'm just waiting to hear if chavant nsp is fine to use for this before I try it out on any big projects.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help, I cant believe its not available over here. I really wanna use klean klay though, as my sculptures are made of soft chavant clay already, but this klean klay looks very soft and pliable, im guessing its kinda like window putty or something like it. I have very detailed sculpts that im worried that if i use more chavant next to my chavant models, i might squash the details.

Anyone have any luck buying klean klay from abroad? like USA or AUStralia? Iv seen it here ...

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/catalo...Path=4_644_645

but havnt tryed placing an order yet? Was wondering if there are better places to get it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey batfink and monkeywiz , thanks very much for your comments . about the klean clay . I get mine from oahu and shipping is killing me , but I will say that dick blick has a clay that is exactly the same as clean caly and has a wider variety of colors . do to http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/11/ hopefully this will get you there . in any event I have used both and they are so similar icant tell the differance. I would also suggest moving to super sculpey firm for future pieces . it is fantastic stuff . if you look around you will see it bieng used by the best sculptors in the industry . I used chevant for years this has cut my sculpting time by half. This clean clay you are after is so soft you will risk damaging it until it is molded , also klean clay is more challenging to mold due to how soft it is. I won't diss on clean clay anymore it actually makes excellent mold making material.
    lilalex forgive me I will get back to you on that question in a tonight gotta runn
    lilalex

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kent,

Cheers for the dick blick tip, I'll have a look into that and see it that's a viable alternative over here too.

I can't speak for bat-fink, but I'm actually after the kleen klay or whatever cheap alternative I can find, as a mold making material rather than a sculpting one, but supplies in the UK are so hard to find and overpriced it's a bit of an uphill struggle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Klean Klay

Hi again, yes i too need it as a cheap moulding material rather than a sculpt.
    I managed to place an order with this company....

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/catalo...Path=4_644_645

It is in australia, and from what i can gather the aussy dollar is about a third of a pound so that should work out very cheap. Although, for overseas shipping it says you must order a minimum of 20 aussy dollars, Which is around 8 i think, dont quote me on that though. They said within 24hours they will send me an email to confirm shipping costs. I will let you know when it all arrives, but my email is down at the moment as lycos are carrying out email repairs.

Thanks for your help.

ps, turns out there are regular/hard and soft klean klays, its the soft i will be getting as its for making the casting skirt around the sculpt.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2