Thanks

Need Computer Upgrade Help, please!

Is this a good upgrade from my current setup?

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136151

SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102022

--

All together it is about $290. Which fits my ~$300 price range nicely.

I am upgrading from an ASUS Neo2 Platinum Mobo, and AGP x850 256mb Radeon card.

I was just wondering if this is a good price/bang ratio? Would I notice a significant improvement in framerate? Is the x1900GT much better than the x850xt?

Thanks for any help!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow, the machine you got is already impressive. I heard the X850 is better than the X1900 GT in raw performance, but of course if you want the new Shaders 3 technology you'll have to settle with the latter. Also I'm not sure how valid that is when comparing an AGP x850 to a PCI-E X1900 GT. Incidently, I've also ordered the ATI X1900 GT a few days ago and I'm waiting for it to arrive. It looked like the best money for value buy in the new range and has received a great deal of good reviews (and some mixed ones too). All in all it's a very popular buy - whole shitload of people got it.

I don't know anything about motherboards, but SLI the way to go I think. When this new one starts slacking down, you just buy another card and stick it in. ATI's crossfire technology is ahead in this department as far as I know, much simpler much faster. But crossfire boards are rare and expensive.

All in all, I'm not sure you'll get better framerates (though I don't think you'll get worse), but the new shaders 3 is going to turn everything into eye candy. Cards in this new series of ATI are also the only cards that can handle anti-aliasing with other beefy technologies such as HDR and soft shadows. Really great cards, though I don't know if you'll see a huge difference in frames. I'll ask my bro, he's hugely clued up with this shit.

ciao

- d.
    Brendan Noeth