Art: Friend, is you turn

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Friend, is you turn

Friend, Is you turn.
    Here is a thing that happens all the time: A boy who playing a game with a imaginary friend. Unfortunaly this boy is a little diferent of the other boys, becouse he tried badly you big friend.

This boy isn’t bad. But he have a badly sense of revenge! Revenge for what? Revenge for the bad things the other boys do to him. Only because he is a Nerd Guy the other boys shoot him. And then, the boy shoots his imaginary friend...

Friend, is you turn
    (big image click HERE)

A little concept problem...
    In my image we have a boy who play chess, and a dragon is visible only in the mirror. It says to the beholder “the mirror is the imagination of the boy and the dragon is your partner in the game”. Maybe in countries where english is spoken people understand this idea very quick. This because in English Mirror is a symbol of imagination.

In english you had many expressions saying that the mirror is a path to the mind. Phrases like “smoke and mirrors”, “mirror mask”, and literature like “alice through the looking glass”. But in Brazil a mirror is just a Mirror. We don’t have any mundane phrase that says “the mirror is the mind”, we don’t had this concept.

In the original Idea I had an empty chair in the first plane. And the Brazilian people say “it’s an invisible dragon, but his magic fails in front of a mirror”. When I changed the chair of the drawing the people started to understand the image. Another thing that helped was the chess. In the mirror the game is playing, in the real is untouched, to say “the boy play just in his mind”

Immaginary friend, I love you.
    Studing psychology I learnt great things about face expressions. When you fake an expression you just do this in one side of the head. This because when we fake a expression we use the left side of the brain. The left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. If you fake the expression or you is superficial with you feelings only the right side will change, and the real feeling will appear in the left side of the face.

The boy treated badly his imaginary friend, but this is a superficial feeling. He loves the dragon, and his face tells us the truth!

Friend, is you turn

Your friend is you
    Another Psychological thing that I tried to do in the image is the look of the dragon. The imaginary friend of a kid is whom the kid wanted to be. He likes to be big. In another hand, theirs faces are equal. The same eye shape, and the same glasses.

Friend, is you turn

Picture Composition
    In the first idea the vanishing point of the image was in the head of the boy, to say “all this picture comes from the mind of the boy”. Unfortunaly the reflection of the mirror is dependent of the vanishing point, so the reflection hides behind the boy in the mirror. So, any friends of brazilian and Cgtalk members say that the mirror could be the center of the vanish point, and the messagem could be the same.

Friend, is you turn

In another hand I try to use classical methods to compose the image. Some people say to me that the symmetry not is so good... but I think that greek art is wonderful until this day, and this is all symmetric... so I don’t see problem with this composition.

The second composition is the line guide of the occidental reading and searching. I put the main things of the image in the way of the line.

And finally, I use the classic shape composition. I use a triangle, because some religion pictures use the triangle, so my image tells about the divine things of the imagination I think that composition is good with the image.

The chalk tell the history
    Carl g. Jung, made many of his patients draw their feelings and draw their dreams. He told that in this drawings he could discover what is wrong with the people and give a good treatment.

Friend, is you turn

My character try to say everytime what is wrong. But we say with drawings... Unfortunately, people never look his drawings... If they looked and understood what happens, the boy could be a little more happy, and, maybe leave the dragon wins one time...

A little tutorial
    When I try to paint a line of a chalk I tried to develop a brush in the photoshop that help to have a free drawing. I try and I get! And here is the basic tutorial about the shalk brush.
    Friend, is you turn

image Made in PHOROSHOP
    Time: Any days! 40 hours (more or less)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Raul Tabajara; December 25th, 2006 at 01:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, you sure sem to have the concept cear, and i guess that's good

only things that don't convince me are the chalk dragon drawn on the table, and the light effect you've put on the dragon and the boy, it seems to strong and doesn't look like real light (especially in the righ part of the boy's head).
    Under the table, the boy's feet and legs don't look finished, and i don't like the way the table's legs look so black.Actually i don't think the whole lower left corner of the pic is finished.
    But i like the idea very much, and the pic looks good

keep sharing

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, the foot! i dont finish!
    whon i just forget!?
    i will finish!

The Gnoll: please, tell me what "don't convince" in the chalk dragon! In the origibal idea its dont exist... Was a empty chair, but the people dont understod the idea... what you think that i can put in the same place to tell the same thing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your finished piece is beautiful! But three things to think about:

Your picture should explain itself! And it does. Don’t write an essay to explain it – let your audience have fun figuring it out.

The boy still looks like a creepy gnome, I’m afraid. No, don’t explain it. Consider fixing it, because it is the one flaw in this otherwise beautiful image.

The chalk drawings on the far wall: they’re great! However, none of them are overlapped by the table, which gives the optical illusion that the table touches the far wall.

Anyway, nicely done!

If you are curious about the history of mirrors in English-speaking culture, read “Alice in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking Glass”.

Merry Christmas!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seedling: Merry Christmas too! Unfortunate in Brazil we are in summer, and we have 35º Celsius - 95 degrees Fahrenheit!!! All old beard man hate put the santa costumes! hahaha

Thanks a lot! I will consider ever that you say! So, I try, try and try, and the boy dont looks like a boy! I drawn from live and dont get it!

i will try again! But in another picture. This one burned-out...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.