Acrylic painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Acrylic painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Acrylic painting

I did this some time ago, but the great thing about it is I can always add on if I need to. I'm not happy with the frame thing, but any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

BumsUnite is offline Party Crasher For Hire Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the frame is ok, maybe youll want to add more art nouveau stuff to the outside of it to give it like a scroll type of feel.

dont stop man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the texture and colours the background has. i think the dragon could have a bit more detail and definition so that becomes more of a focus point. you could consider adding that with a combination of paint and perhaps add pencils... love that you did it in good old acrylics though.

happy holidays

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Acrylics used like watercolor – you’re really challenging yourself! I think you have good ideas and a decent sense of composition, not to mention patience with a tricky medium, but you currently lack the academic art skills to pull them off well. You need to invest some time studying light, color, and form. In other words, drawing from direct observation.

There is a link in my sig called Concept Art 101 that might be of interest to you.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The background texture and color are beautiful.
    The frame is too static, it doesn't really help the piece to show its theme. A Celtic styled frame is often used for fantasy themed works. Intertwined branch frames would work too.
    The tree trunk could use more texture, but it's okay the way right now. The creature could really use more shading. It's really hard to see the creature's posture with lack of shading right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think giving the frame a wooden texture would be very cool. Want to try it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you for all the input!

BumsUnite - Thanks for the frame suggestions. I'll play around in Photoshop and see what suits it best, then try painting it on.

Tensai - I made the error of painting it too small, so detail will be difficult. I'll see what I can do though. I'd like to keep it just acrylics, but I might try pencils if nothing else turns out.

Seedling, I've tried watercolor as well, but I prefer the control that acrylics allow. And thank you for that link!! I'll definitely try some of your assignments.

Look - thanks for the frame suggestions. I agree about the staticity of the current frame. Intertwined branches is an interesting idea, I'll try it. I also agree about the lack of shading, I will go over it again and try to deepen the shadows and clarify details.

JaneM - Thanks for the texture idea I will see what I can do.

Members who have read this thread: 1