Thanks

Just curious...An art roast?

I was wondering. For shits and giggles for the lounge, can we make a thread specifically to defiling good art work, such as take your favorite drawing or painting, and draw over it or re edit it to have some fun. I'm not saying make fun of the artist or anything personal, just vandalize it. Something that is so messed up you find really funny.

Like... this one.

Artist was Aleksi. You can think of something funny....
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 24th, 2006 at 03:16 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I say.... yes. Sorry Aleksi

Thanks
    Exactly what i was talking about. Be as crude as you want to be, and make sure to put some effort in. Not to much. Let's have some fun at other peoples expense! pros can join in as well!

If anyone gets personal, the punishment will be grabbing their artwork, and spiting them! Light all the torches you want. But, don't forget, laugh, have fun, it's a... "humbling" experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    I can't participate, because I don't have Photoshop at home, but I'll be watching with popcorn in hand! What a fun idea!
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I think you should get the artist's permission before destroying thier work.
    Especially since it's someone in your community.
    Last edited by Interceptor; December 24th, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I think you should get the artist's permission before destroying thier work.
    Yeah, while it is flattery to have your piece in the crosshairs, it's going to make it difficult to look at the original in the same way after
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Well foo on you party poopers! Feel free to roast any of my work, anyone who wants to. (Er, not that it's all that grand.)
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Haha, maybe just tell the artist you're going to roast them before you roast them~
    It's all in good fun and no real harm done by it ;P

Cheers!

Thanks
    I don't think that would really help too much, to be honest. If you just tell them, and don't give them a choice, that's just like a warning that you are going to be kicked in the nutsack and there's nothing you can do about it.

Some people put alot of effort in thier work and take alot of pride in thier accomplishments. crits and paintovers are one thing, but just making fun of a piece that someone may have poured thier soul into might not sit well with everyone.

Thanks
    Oh come on! It's not like we are cutting off the artists scalp and burrying him/her alive. It's all in good fun, and if done in this thread like I proposed it shouldnt be hard to find amusing. Plus the artist who was defiled, can punch back. It's not like roshambo... Or any game similar to girls that hurts equally as bad (purple nurple?) I don't know. Hey, if william shatner can take it, I'm sure a pro artist can. Any artist actually. If you know for a fact the artist is very sensitive then don't do it. But, bringing it to their attention is better than doing it behind their backs.
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 25th, 2006 at 03:00 AM.

Thanks
    it's the same as taking images off a website and using them as your own, it's just rude. like dave said, not everyone has the same idea of fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2b BOY
    Oh come on! It's not like we are cutting off the artists scalp and burrying him/her alive. It's all in good fun, and if done in this thread like I proposed it shouldnt be hard to find amusing. Plus the artist who was defiled, can punch back. It's not like roshambo... Or any game similar to girls that hurts equally as bad (purple nurple?) I don't know. Hey, if william shatner can take it, I'm sure a pro artist can. Any artist actually. If you know for a fact the artist is very sensitive then don't do it. But, bringing it to their attention is better than doing it behind their backs.
    What makes you think that people want to spend thier time trading shots with some kids online? These are your peers, your potential co workers and employers. Unless you want to burn bridges it'd be best to make certain that the person does'nt mind you doing this. Or even better, why not spend your time making new art for people to enjoy?

Thanks
    Nevermind... I guess your right. The thread wasnt really suppose to be for "trading shots", I just figured it might happen. Was not really condoning it. But, no matter. It was just an idea, shits and giggles, humor, you know... Not, taking yourself to seriously, and being able to have a sense of humor. Btw, I don't see it as burning bridges. If a person cant take a joke, why would I want to work with him/her? It's not like I don't take everything seriously, and I'm a responsible adult. People tell you to grow up, they never tell you to grow old. That sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ah.heng
    not everyone has the same idea of fun.
    True. But, that does not mean if a person or persons finds something unfunny means anyone else who does has to cater to them. In this case though, perhaps you could be right.
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 25th, 2006 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    This seems like another discussion (idea) that gets thrown too far out of hand. 2d Boy is simply trying to come up with a game to play in the lounge. Perhaps if you posted one of your own pieces, 2d Boy, and then another version that's been altered? I wouldn't call it an "art roast" thread either, perhaps just as "the humorously altered art thread" or something .

Thanks
    2bBoy you inconsiderate fuck!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    As pennance for my quick defacing of Aleksi's awesome art, I'd post my own, but this is for the defacing of GOOD art, so I'm out

Thanks
    Sheesh! Guys, this can totally be all in good fun. I played havoc with Idiot Apathy's art as my Christmas gift to him, and he was thrilled. See:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...ristmas_IA.jpg

If you approach this with a fun attitude (as opposed to malicious) then it's flattery to the person whose art you are toying with.

Thanks
    I say go for it! It's just for giggles anyway! I've seen the monalisa made fun of everyday, and it still hasn't changed the splendor of the actual painting!
    We truly do need to relax a little bit and have fun with those whom we admire, and in all sincerity it is open for everybody!

And seriously, we're all grown up's here who can take a joke, and keep it humorous, not offensive. give this a chance in the least!
    ¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Yeah, I say go for it. Roasting is an act of love and respect. If you're really worried about offending the artist, then just do paintings by dead guys.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook