anyone going to artcenter this fall?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

anyone going to artcenter this fall?

if so, it'd behoove you to do some research ahead of time in terms of what classes you can take/waive/add and which instructors to choose.

ac's datalog for example coupled with the campusweb schedule is a very good resource. it's kinda tough because as a new student you aren't privy to word-of-mouth and such but if anyone is looking for advice for the first couple of days i'd be more than happy to help.

i am first term btw so not very experienced but 'orientation' is still very fresh in my mind .

just a thought...

cheers,
    steve

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what major are you going to be?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am 1st term right now, illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey chumps, I just finished my portfolio, and I'm going to by the case thing( freakin thing costs 60 bucks) so that I can make an appointment with a councelor and hopefully I'll be there in the fall.

I'd love all the help I can get. I'm going for the illustration major as well.

Btw, can you show me some sampls of your entrance portfolio?

Thanks

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by I.was.ink
    Hey chumps, I just finished my portfolio, and I'm going to by the case thing( freakin thing costs 60 bucks) so that I can make an appointment with a councelor and hopefully I'll be there in the fall.

I'd love all the help I can get. I'm going for the illustration major as well.

Btw, can you show me some sampls of your entrance portfolio?

Thanks
    cool i hope to apply to art center as well, but im not really sure if im ready. can you inform me what case thing you're talking about? i need all the help i can get also hehe. thanks

btw, you have good portfolio i.was.ink good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't really have time to reply at length right now but the thing about the case...

if by 'case' you mean those big binders with transparent uh, pages to store your drawings in, DON'T BOTHER. they are expensive, a pain in the ass to use and update, and uh, expensive.

cheapest route would be getting a piece of cardboard and folding it in half and securing all the images in that with a big clip or something..

if that is too ghetto then you can buy something similar at staples for like 3 bux..

course you'd want to put either in a standard portfolio or something.

if that is still too ghetto you can get a black portfolio thing that has the little ribbons to secure it. it's basically two pieces of board taped together and generally decent looking. i suppose u'd want to but that in a standard portfolio to... though i dunno if it'd be absolutely necessary.. and by standard portfolio i'm talking about those kinda orangy colored portfolios made out of stiff paper.. sorry i'm so vague..

don't worry too much about being fancy, the main thing you should be concerned with easy it is to look at your work (often all at once). be kind and don't use stuff that is too heavy/annoying/retarded.

i'll try to reply tommorow but i haven't slept in like 40 hours so ya bye~

steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i graduate this term... hopefully i can get a job. *crosses fingers*

"Nous sommes desoles que notre president soit un idiot. Nous n’avons pas vote pour lui."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by seb
    i graduate this term... hopefully i can get a job. *crosses fingers*
    mike,

any advice for ambitious incoming students? regrets? teachers that you can recommend? workshops? hidden spots to draw in seclusion and free mason meeting times?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rush & tadao: do you have any work to show online? will you apply this fall?

seb: hiya there! i saw your site, cool stuff. i see you are part of studio 222 as well. how does one get into that btw? not that i want to right now as i'm a lowly 1st termer, but for future reference... btw my name is steve and i usually have a big gay "Hi my name is STEVE" nametag on, maybe u've seen...

*disclaimer*: i'm total newbie to so if i'm like way off with any of the following it's not my fault! who knows what might change in a term, they migh have a sexy personal belly dancer slash assistant for each student. i'm just trying to help!

so here's the skinny...

first off for anyone looking at artcenter, go take a tour and bring some work to show a counselor. check out the portfolio requirements and show them work that best fits the criteria. if you talk to a counselor, make sure to mention 'steve the amazing 1st term illustration guy*', it will score you big points! (unless they are like, who? amazing what?)

also, if you are looking at financial aid, FILL OUT THE FRIKKIN FAFSA. it's kind of a pain in the ass but by god be a man and take it up the ass. once you fill that out, artcenter takes care of the rest in terms of any loans and grants are you interested in. also you need it for artcenter scholarship.

speaking of which check the deadlines for the ac scholarship, it's a good idea to apply for scholarship along with your entrance application. if it's too late, then you can always apply the next term.

familiarizing yourself with the school. if you are close by, check out the workshops. you meet a lot of cool people there (or so i hear, i've yet to actually attend one due to all the frikkin HOMEWORK)

you can also sit in class if you ask the instructor nicely.. and like participate in the drawing and whatnot.

if you show enthusiasm and a good attitude most people will try to help you out one way or another, no matter where you are coming from.

once you are accepted...

you will have 3-day orientation. well, more like 2 days... depends if you take the digital design 1 waiver test (which i highly recommend if you already know photoshop/illustrator crap).

you will receive your schedule sometime during orientation. you can either accept what classes you get or you can try to edit your schedule to your liking.

if it's the latter, GO PREPARED.

meaning, know what instructors you want for what classes, with all the relevant information like class number/time/instructor etc. it helps to figure out time conflicts/incompatibilities ahead of time. there will be a print out of all the classes near the enrollment office, but it will be crawling with people during orientation. you can also check the schedule through the library computers, but that's a pain too. so copy paste all the relevant info ahead of time and print it out. even the classes you may not want because the one you want might be full and stuff. (still u can prolly get in any class if you try)

basically you will get an add/drop form, and from there you write down the class you wanna um, add and drop.

you will need a signature from the instructor IF: the class is listed as full, that is -2 on the schedule thing. even if it says it's full, go to the class and ask the instructor if you can add. if he's cool with it he'll sign your shit or even better give you a purple add-class thingamajig... this is the good stuff...

you will need a signature from the department chair IF: you want to take a required class early or postpone it. postponing anything is a bad idea, get it all out of the way if possible. do not do as i did (more on this later)

there are some other situations where you need sigs and stuff but um, figure that stuff out on your own k.

after you get your stuff signed, TIMESTAMP IT at the enrollment office (right next admissions) and give it. the timetamping thing is important.

the classes...

the max units is 18, min is 12. each class is 3 units. you're paying the big bucks so it's a good idea to take as many classes as possible but ONLY if you know you can handle it. it's a LOT of work... though it's gotten a bit easier the last few terms.

you will have a required liberal art class. english if you sucked ass on the english test, or modernism or adv. modernism if you passed it.

then you have the following required studio classes:

head drawing
    principles of drawing
    perspective
    design 1

that makes for 15 units. they are all foundation classes. terms 1-4 is mostly foundation stuff. be prepared for this. as it's kind of disheartening if you're the really liberal creative type.

that leaves room to take another required class (any class required to graduate) early... like taking a 2nd term class like comp. and painting during your first term or you can take an elective. taking this 6th class is up to you, and it's a doozy cause until you are actually at artcenter you don't know what the workload is like and if you can handle it.

ok.. so for the play by play...

head drawing:

instructors are lorrie madden or some dude named kane. i have madden. she assigns a lot of work. she's pretty good instructor, gives demos each class (note not all instructors do this). she assigns a lot of work. woops did i say that already. well i'll say it again, SHE ASSIGNS A LOT OF HOMEWORK. i've had an artcenter head drawing class but i decided to take it again... hmm, still not sure if that was wise hehe! but you really do learn quite a lot in her class. as for kane, i do not hear about him much. he assigns a lot of homework too i believe, but i am not sure.

first day: bring in drawing supplies. drawing board, some paper or newsprint/sketch pad, and charcoal pencil. btw number all your drawings by week, it will be handy later for the portfolio.

if i had to do it all over again: i'd pick madden

principles of drawing

gayle donahue and v. robbins. i have gayle. i think she's great. very sincere and INCREDIBLY serious about the class, the work, and you. she reminds you that you are in artcenter for a good reason, to try your very best and kick ass and take names. she does not demo however (so far), but she helps students individually. assigns a fair emount of homework. she used to be notorious for giving out TONS of homework but she's eased up a bit. it's still a lot of work if you want to do a good job and impress her.

robbins i hear a lot about. he is the easier of the two instructors by far. comments i hear a lot: "feels like a workshop". i believe he teaches a workshop, not sure though.

first day: bring in drawing supplies as written above

if i had to do it all over again: i'd pick gayle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wtfrickaroo post too long@!#!

perspective

this one is a no brainer. you have gary meyer and craig atteberry. now, craig's a cool guy, i took an anatomy class with him @night, but gary is THE MAN. and he's also the department chair, handy when you need the 411 on various artcenter stuff. he's really old and looks like santa claus. he's really nice. and he's a good perspective teacher. i dunno what days persp. will be next term but take the class that DOES NOT have an @night class teaching in the room right after. this is because you want to do your homework the day it's assigned, in class, while gary is there. his mantra is that he'll stay as late as needed to help with anybody that needs help. he's also one helluva artist, he teaches several other classes and owns in them too. work wise i think the two are comparable. depending on how your brain works perspective can be bearable or the worst thing since untoasted bagels.

first day: u do perspective notes and stuff. gary supplies paper and rulers and stuff but it might be handy to have your own. also bring a big 3-ring binder to put the big ass packet of notes he gives you.

if i had to do it all over again: gary meyer by a touchdown

design 1

bruce claypool and v. robbins and mitchell yes thats the same robbins as mentioned before. as in drawing, he is the easier instructor i believe. mitchell is also on the easier side. claypool is definitely demanding. i have claypool. (notice a trend here?)

claypool is very sharp guy, quick to make fun of students (like me) but in a nice way. design 1 is a demanding class in gernal, but claypool especially so. however you DO have the chance to MAKE-UP any work you want, as long as you turned in something the day it was due. this is good because the one that is the highest grade is the grade that sticks.

HOLY CRAP I ALMOST HIT BACKSPACE and lost everything i wrote. phew.

*saves in notepad*

where was i. oh ya, so technically you could redo an assignment as many times till you got the highest grade possible. great in theory, works out a little diff in real life cause you don't really have the TIME to redo all your shit. it is still a GoodThing and it's definitely saved my ass a few times already.

you also learn a lot in the class imo.

first day: nothing really. he'll just talk and hand out the syllabus i think.

if i had to do it all over again: i wouldn't have inhaled. i mean, claypool.

--

if you hadn't noticed, and shame on you if you hadn't, i chose and i would recommend getting the harder instructors. you learn more and you get more of your moneys worth. at the same time though, you have to be realistic. some people just CAN'T hack it, and end up dropping from the school (be sure to read my name on this list soon ) or something superretardedly stupid like that. i dunno, i dunno you, i only know me, and i know i'm a frikkin lazy s.o.b. but i'd still take the harder instructors.

elective and/or early required class

during my first few days and my immense visions of grandeur i tried really really really hard to get 18 studio credits. in fact i postponed modernism to do it. unfortunately i could not find that elusive 6th studio class and i say PRAISE JEBUS because of it.

i'm taking the 4 classes mentioned above plus one elective. i wanted to take drawing for illustration with mark strickland (despite having taken his class before) because:

he's a cool guy
    he assigns a personal project for each student and whatever the student decides to do he will try to help in one way or another
    he's a big advocate for right-brain style drawing. now this is something i really believe in but isn't taught in artcenter the first term. drawing for illu used to be a required class for 1st term but not anymore....

but

he's really "spiritual" and a lot of people have different opinions. i really dug his class, even though i was skeptical/stubborn for a good deal of it. others hate it. i don't want to recommend it and have you hate it so like, whatever.
    it's an ideal elective if you are looking for something mildly creative and not too demanding.

cept i couldn't take his class cause it was cancelled during the summer. DOH.

so i ended up taking just viscom 1 with chesley. viscom is the series of classes that trans and product people have to take. i took it cause i remember how craig mullins would talk about it and there was that big 'draw cones/spheres/boxes' movement on sijun a while back. scott robertson teaches viscom 2 and if you know your artdudes you should know how cool that is. realize that if you are illu u DO NOT need to take viscom 1 to take viscom 2 or 3.

know that: viscom is REALLY BORING and really tedious. you basically draw and render primitives in various configurations with charcoal.

do you learn a lot about lighting and form? yes, cause that's all you're dealing with practically. but is it necessary? i'm not so sure. i took it cause i want to learn to draw more "outta me head" and i figured the viscom series of classes would be good for me. it is the class however that i am having the most trouble with in terms of getting homework done. thankfully the instructor i have is pretty understanding so i'm trying to catch up with my work.

what ya need for first day: underwear would be good

if i had to do it all over again: i'm sitting on the fence on this one. on one hand you can just go straight to the more, ah whats the word... uhh, whatever, you can go straight to viscom and learn marker stuff (i think? or is that viscom 3?) or you can dig yourself in the trenches and work in viscom 1. it's a toss up. let's all hope craig mullins reads this and offers his 2 cents. hohoho.

--

damn me fingers getting tired..

--

there are tons of other classes to take, but i don't recommend taking really advanced classes till later when you have more artcenter mojo in you.

um.

the intangibles

artcenter is definitely a cool place, but it's certainly... different. it's this plain black box situated on a hill overlooking pasadena. it's not exactly FUN IN A BOX but i suppose there is some fun to be had.. somewhere... i'm still looking for it. i personally have a hard time getting to know people (shy like that) and it's so busy you don't really have time to do things outside of school but hey your mileage may vary. sometimes it seems like people want nothing to do with you and like.. it feels really clinical. just stick with it and have a good attitude and stuff. if worst comes to worst, hire a hooker. er, uh, wrong thread... most of all HAVE FUN PLEASE, cause then it will rub off other people and maybe the whole frikkin artcenter vibe won't be so frikkin serious.

i bet it'd be a lot better if they painted the school pink.

phew.

i'm done. i hope some of this is helpful for those of you who've read this far (all 3 of you).

hopefully some other more experienced artcenter folk will chime in and um contradict everything i've said . i'd certainly like to see that. there's a big RINGLING contingency but i bet there's tons of artcenter folk too just lurking about. SHOW YOURSELVES~!

cheers,
    steve

*tell 'em what a great orientation 'mentor' i'd make despite being a 1st termer. dammit, i want that t-shirt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woops, almost forgot.

http://campusweb.artcenter.edu

click on 'datalog'
    click on 'class schedule'

be happy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve. Very in depth and helpful.

Another question:

If you pass out of, or have already taken (via ACAN) required classes, do you fill the spots with the subsequent term classes?

I'd like to go into product design, and if I've completed Persp, Model 1, Vis 1, would I be able to enroll in Model 2 and Vis 2 first term?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey steve. huge thanks for the post! im actually taking an ACAN drawing class over the summer so maybe i can scan in some stuff form the class hah..

although i am planning to stay another year at my community college and improve more, i definitely am trying to get together some work and apply, if possible, for this fall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks once again stevearoo!

Can't wait to go now. Hey guys, he told me that Kchen's workshop is open to anyone, and everyone. I can't wait to go. :eek:

:p

-iwasink-

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i'm not sure about ANYONE but if you are a prospective artcenter student i'm sure he wouldn't turn you away or anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,094 Times in 2,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    iwasink...how are you going to go in the fall if the deadline you were supposed to meet for admissions was somewhere in march...maybe the fifteenth? its been a while...but I think you have to get all your financial aid and portfolio stuff finished by those dates in order to secure a spot for the following fall. if that is the case youre looking at spring or next fall at the earliest.

keep at it though...it took me two years before I applied and was accepted...then I stayed back another year and a half...finally I was given a nice scholarship even though I was out of state...all in all my free cash added up to 32000 over four years....i didnt go though...went to ringling where the cost of living is less and the program was equal...tuition was less too...

art center would be a great place to study...i love it up there on that hill...plus you can study with kchen....find him first...get in his classes.

cheers

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not applying for financial aid upon entry. Actually to tell you the truth. The money deal isn't a problem. You can literally apply like two weeks before the term starts.

you see, my dad's boss once had the chance to go to art center. They even asked for him to go to art center. But he blew them off and went to some other school to be an architect. He later on regreted not taking the chance, so now he's some huge millionaire, and he and my dad are really close friends. So he knows how much I want to go to art center, and me going is like me also going for him, and taking advantage of that chance he once lost.

so since he's the coolest guy ever, he's willing to pay it for me. After all, a couple thousand, well more than a couple, but a lot of thousand, isn't that big of a deal to him since he's a millionaire. I'm still going to apply for scholarships and stuff during the time that I'm there.

It is nice up on that hill isn't it?

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. Can I be your friend? :)

Jokes aside, be careful. Although Art Center has a "rolling admissions" where you can, in theory, apply the day before classes start and still get in that term, space is limited. Keep that in mind cause it would suck to plan the next 14+ months around the assumption you will start in the fall only to find you have to defer till spring.

Cheers.

I'm not applying for financial aid upon entry. Actually to tell you the truth. The money deal isn't a problem. You can literally apply like two weeks before the term starts.

you see, my dad's boss once had the chance to go to art center. They even asked for him to go to art center. But he blew them off and went to some other school to be an architect. He later on regreted not taking the chance, so now he's some huge millionaire, and he and my dad are really close friends. So he knows how much I want to go to art center, and me going is like me also going for him, and taking advantage of that chance he once lost.

so since he's the coolest guy ever, he's willing to pay it for me. After all, a couple thousand, well more than a couple, but a lot of thousand, isn't that big of a deal to him since he's a millionaire. I'm still going to apply for scholarships and stuff during the time that I'm there.

It is nice up on that hill isn't it? ;)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Tadao
    Hi. Can I be your friend?
    no, he's mine! all mine!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's right. Im all his....:p

No I'm not.
    There's plenty of me to go around....wait, that doesn't sound right.....

I know about the limited space, but thanks for pointing that out.

cornflakes!

everybody always says cheers at the end, or cheerios, but I decided to stick with cornflakes.

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everybody always says cheers at the end, or cheerios, but I decided to stick with cornflakes. [/B]
    i know whats up with that. are we all british or what.

fine alternative:

beers!

steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey y`all

I`m new here but stoked to be a part of a society of such like minds. I will be applying to Art Center for Spring term, I already spent a day at the campus and had a really positive response to my portfolio, so here`s hoping. The Entertainment Electives are what sold me, no other school that I have looked at is in the same league as far as I can tell for this line of work. Chumps, your post was both highly entertaining and very informative, thanks a lot! I hope I get the chance to meet you this Spring!

Cheers

Look within, not without

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:

the schedules for the fall term are up and woo doggy you fall kids are huge compared to us.. like twice as big. a lot of the stuff i talked about in my original post won't apply to you guys because you will have different instructors to choose from...

but still try to do your homework, find the good instructors. it's key.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.