Sketchbook: Tom Cardin's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tom Cardin's Sketchbook

Welcome to my sketchbook. More recent work is at the end...but you're welcome to view my progress over the years.

My goal is to improve my 2D digital painting abilities with the help of this fine community of artists.

Please view and enjoy and comment lots!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TomCardin; October 26th, 2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: edited to change the thumbnail for my sketchbook thread
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A racehorse I did to familiarize myself with the forms involved. This is a scanned in sketch that I worked up in photoshop.

Last edited by TomCardin; January 3rd, 2007 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last one is good, i like the values on the horese but often you have a lack in anatomy and value... do some studies

greez

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somehow it got into my head to draw a sexy frog version of my wife's Everquest 2 character. Again I started with a scanned in sketch and took it a long ways further than I originally intended in photoshop...it was about then that I realized how much fun I was having with digital painting...and how much I have to learn still.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Haxxxor. I agree, my reference for the racehorse was a very small image which I sketched up quickly...I slacked off and lost focus on what I wanted to do. I am finding constraints to work under which are helping me maintain focus and dig deeper into subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took what I learned from painting my sexy frog and went right to work on a huge piece. But I put a color constraint on myself because I wanted to keep it more serious. I am not sure if I succeeded in doing more than making things washed out. I have trouble with color and its something I wanted to focus on here.

Last edited by TomCardin; January 3rd, 2007 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a piece I haven't finished yet...I began it while working on my spacegirl painting. There are a lot of things that bother me about this amazon and I am still not sure where to take it. I tried to learn more about drawing and painting hair with this piece.

Last edited by TomCardin; January 3rd, 2007 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is more of a fantasy anatomical study. All my focus went to the ripper arm and when I looked up I had totally goobered up the figures torso. Colors here are hideous, I hate this piece but I put it here in hopes someone can help tell me where things went wrong. Too much to hope? Bah you guys are good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love drawing the female figure. I really should force myself to use references more often but this is right outta my head. I only scanned this in, I don't want to develop it further.

I am comfortable with my sketching and drawing abilities, but that doesn't mean I don't want to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an earlier digital painting piece than what I have shown so far...I throw it in to give some perspective on where I have gone so far.
    It's a fantasy landscape from my head, its very flat which I know I didn't intend when I set out. Something went wrong and I lost myself in the details to the detriment of all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another work in progress. I have to put dragons up there with things I love to draw. This piece is off to a good start with two of my favorite subjects. Here I want to contrast the two figures and draw the viewer into their relationship with each other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a dragon speedpaint I did...about 2 hours
    Name:  dragon8x6.jpg
Views: 22487
Size:  121.9 KB

Last edited by TomCardin; May 21st, 2007 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another nude pin-up out of my head. I had a lot of fun trying out a new drawing technique on this piece, well...new for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some signatures I did...yeah more of the sexy frog. I did the coloring this time in painter rather than my usual photoshop. Painter is going to take some getting used to but I like the effects that came about with it.
    Name:  kinni_beach_sketch.jpg
Views: 22227
Size:  49.4 KB
    Name:  kinni_beach_fin.jpg
Views: 22313
Size:  249.1 KB
    The other two sigs were done in photoshop, kinda speedpainted.
    Name:  hipi_fin.jpg
Views: 21780
Size:  116.6 KB
    Name:  llana_fin.jpg
Views: 21583
Size:  161.7 KB

Last edited by TomCardin; December 23rd, 2006 at 11:03 PM. Reason: moving images around to improve the layout of my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your overall gesture poses, they have good weight and movement. your overlaping on the figure needs some work. try breaking the figure into the basic shapes with a two point perspective on them. it will help out with maintaining volume and porportion as the figure moves from foreground and background.

Thanks for the crit in my sketchbook.

my sketchbook http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=1#post1147944

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the crit, and for visiting my sketchbook.

Thats a good idea, I goobered up my spacegirls right arm where her torso is overlapping it. I can still see all the joints in my earlier versions but I lost something later on in the process.

New sketch I just started: 10 minutes into it and I can already see where I am having perspective trouble with the mech's far leg...I will concentrate on fixing this as I work this piece up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments in my SB. Good start to your sketchbook. Improvement is a lifelong pursuit for sure. Solidity comes from understanding. Life drawing is always a good basis for that road.
    And any book by Loomis; Figure work will strengthen by leaps and bounds.

There is a dragon thread somewhere in here as well, that I think is still going strong. Since the theme is of interest to you, should post some work in there.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What crazyace31 said.

Also, I get the impression that you attempt to have light and shadows diffusing into each other in a uniform gradient most of the time, even with strong light sources (as in the spaceman pic). Light doesn't work that all the time, and I think you may find it useful to try and go with discrete/sharp highlights sometimes. You might also try to use some other colors to portray volume instead of black/grey.

Hope that's relevant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AztcFireFlower: Thank you, I agree wholeheartedly. I am on the hunt for more Loomis books. Also gotta hunt around for that dragon thread.

Jeri: Thats exactly what I am looking for! Yes I really want to develop my coloring and lighting skills. I am learning a lot just browsing through here but any pointing in the right direction is much appreciated.

Here's a quick update of my little red mech, gotta get some more christmas shopping done so this is all I have time for for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dug it up for you. Enjoy!
    Dragonz Iz Here

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo Hoo! Thank you AztcFireFlower! I am beginning work on a dragon painting right now.

I finished up my Mech painting first...or at least got it much further along. Trying to do a lot with reflected light and colors on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just finished my flying dream image from the critique thread. I thought I would post here the steps I went through in creating this piece.

I started with very small thumbnail, establishing colors and composition.
    Name:  cloudgirl01.jpg
Views: 13110
Size:  32.6 KB
    I then scaled the thumbnail up and added more detail and such.
    Name:  cloudgirl02.jpg
Views: 19838
Size:  48.5 KB
    Scaled up again to the final size (this is the initial version I put up on the critique thread). This got me a nice paint over and some great direction which I took.
    Name:  cloudgirl03.jpg
Views: 19788
Size:  101.2 KB
    Finally I came back with a new version which incorporated crits and things I have been working on just by browsing through everyones wonderful sketchbooks
    Name:  cloudgirl04.jpg
Views: 19438
Size:  109.2 KB

Last edited by TomCardin; December 23rd, 2006 at 11:01 PM. Reason: to get the attachements in line with the text

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone can tell me why my attachment in my first post won't show up as a thumbnail for my SB thread please help me. I have edited over and over switching out artwork and can't make anything show up. I am so hopeless sometimes.

please help! thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have no idea why your thumbnail isn't showing up. Maybe it's too big? On mine I used a 100X100 thumbnail, so try that. Work on lighting the basic forms, check out Scott Robertsons lighting DVDs here thegnomonworkshop.com

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for commenting in my sketchbook! and good to see you starting an SB of your own, you certainly have a grasp on pencil drawing, particularly rendering, perhaps some more work on overall form and anatomy will be helpful... loomis is fantastic, however i have to say i prefer bridgeman (well in my limited experience with both), he kindof simplifies the figure into basic planes which also helps a LOT when it comes to lighting characters...

"Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life" i can't completely vouch for this book as i only ordered it the other day, but its a compilation of all his books and its cheap as on amazon for 350 pages or so (over 1000 illustrations)

it seems in a lot of your work you don't really have a specific light source. just as a study you should try doing something in pure black and white with solid shadows kinda like sin city stuff.... and keep one specific light source and direction in mind, this can make things a lot more dramatic and will also make you think of the form.

and i know sometimes just drawing from your head can be more fun, but drawing from reference will help you learn MUCH better, particularly from life (ie life drawing) but photos are good too.

one more thing you could work on is your flesh tones, they are very washed out and yellowy at the moment. possibly move more towards orangish tones, experiment! and most of all HAVE FUN!

hope this helps, keep up the cool work,

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice! I thought it was a good idea to do a figure study from reference...so between playing with some christmas goodies, cleaning house and going out to the movies to see "Night at the Museum" I put my nose to the screen and made this study:

Found a reference I liked - I highly recommend CharacterDesigns.com for photo references, I have seen several other artists here use them.
    Name:  nude_ref.JPG
Views: 24782
Size:  222.1 KB
    I started by drawing the underlying skeleton:
    Name:  nude03_sketch_skel.jpg
Views: 22329
Size:  74.4 KBName:  nude03_sketch_flesh.jpg
Views: 19163
Size:  120.7 KB
    Finished by painting my lights and darks on top of the skeleton layer

This was good practice for me, felt good. Definitely going to do more.

Last edited by TomCardin; December 27th, 2006 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heej > nice to see the process shot's off your work.

i can learn a lot from it.

and that last one did you handled well. but one question do you allway's start with some skeleton's first if you draw a gesture ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Oma,

No, I don't usually start with a skeleton...Years ago when I had a real life drawing course in college I remember doing it as one of our exercises. Also I was given a paintover in the critique thread with a skeleton to show the anatomy issues on my painting. So I thought I would go back to that. I think it helped me a lot with my proportions and form.

It was also very helpful with this reference pic to understand how her ribs were showing and the contours of her hips as well as the alignment of her head. Even though I had a reference pic that showed me everything I needed to see, drawing a skeleton within the form helped force my hand to stick to what I was seeing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I have finished this latest nude study. Here I have added color, not sampling from my reference but just using my own eye. I used several layers, colorizing my greyscale image and using it as a multiply layer then going in underneath and adding cool and warm areas to the shadows.

I am very happy with the results but at the same time uncomfortable because it appears so realistic to me. It's beyond me why that makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Improvement on that last peice is fantastic. Definately go for that style when drawing from your head. Use skeletons/simplified shapes to knock in accurate values and proportions like that in drawings from your imagination and you're set. Keep doing what you're doing if you want photorealism. If you want realism you'll have to draw from life a lot more and figure out how to set a focus, as well as show balance and energy. The stuff i was going to say has already been voiced very well by AztcFireFlower, Jeri, and Kronos, so listen to them well! Keep it up, i can't wait to see your progress.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6