Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cardin's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Speed painting done for the daily sketch thread...MONSTER HUNTER FOLLOWS GAPING BLDG. TRAIL OF RAMPAGING BEAST
    Attachment 76018
    I kept my brushes big and my strokes loose. Instead of starting with greyscale thumnail I started a bit larger with a warm grey background and painted in just warm and cool. Its no masterpiece by any stretch but I achieved a hint of a loose painterly style I have been aiming for.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Another speed painting for the Daily Sketch Group thread

Thanks
    The hairy beauty looks cool! I like thatone alot! The area round the mouth and the eye(?) is the best part. One thing that I notice right away when I look at your paintings is that they could use some good work with values. Its almost hard to get to high value-range. For example in this last one. Shadows should be alot darker. A good way of getting values right when digi-painting is to block in to start with. So that you can get the values right, then starting to refine. It looks like you shadow by doin alot of strokes, which, by my experience atleast, often makes things look more like dirty then shadowed. So your main thing should probably be to look into and practise values. Hope this helps a bit atleast. Keep it up my man!
    Father Christmas will mess you up.
    Deviantart-page
    its my SKETCHBOOK! first page last page

Thanks
    Orifice - Thanks! I really like what I achieved with Hairy Beauty. I am not getting any critiques at all in the COW thread so I am worried about how it will do.

You are right about how I did my shading on those speedpaint sketches. On the dragon one in particular I needed to go darker in the shadow values...digital painting is an ongoing learning experience for me and I thank you for your crits! I will continue with those values in mind and a cleaner technique for getting them down. I had been doing my first sketches in greytones then adding the color. This was getting me paintings shaded with black and white that were coming up lacking. Now I am searching for a happy medium, but I am far happier with colors than I was.

Here is a sketch I did while away from my computer...just #2 pencil and a very bad eraser which I quickly decided did more harm than good.

Thanks
    Time for old squidhead.
    Attachment 77518Attachment 77519
    This is a sketch I did for my friend's project. There's always room for Cthulu.

Thanks
    I Tom, I see very good progress in your digital painting skills in particular I like the girl painting posted in reply #26 #29, very natural effect. I think that in noref images you have some problem with proportion and anatomy, but as you write in the first reply your goal is to accive a results in digital painting and in this case your studies following the right way!
    Keep sharing, ciao

Thanks
    Hey TomCardin

I think the way you're handling the light gradient is looking more natural than when you first started out. Atm I think most of your colored images can use some stronger contrasts. Adding another layer of shadow should do the trick I reckon, but have a try and see if it actually works.

Cool Cthulu

Thanks
    Dreamworker - thank you! I like at least feeling I am improving. I will keep up the figure studies.

Jeri - Thanks! Painting with color is so different from just shading a greyscale image or doing texture maps and setting up lights for 3D renderings. I have been doing graphic arts for many years but I am finding a lot of my skills fall short when moving it digital illustration and painting. Its a learning experience and I like this media emmensely. Glad you like Cthulu...I am going to be doing 2 color paintings of Lovecraftian beasties for my friend, going to be fun.

I just worked this up for the EOW thread. Garbage Planet.
    Attachment 79349
    IMPORTANT! Only throw non-recyclables in the red depositories. All waste from the red depositories are immediately hyperspaced to Cygna Beta. Wastes bound for Cygna Beta will NOT be pre-sorted, hyperspace transmission is instantaneous. There is absolutely no return of any items placed in red depositories.

With the advent of stable zero energy hyperspace transport fields in 2120, Mankind quickly spread through the galaxy...fortunately his garbage did not. Easily installed in designated rubbish bins a series of transport fields immediately gate all materials tossed into the bin to reciever fields orbiting Cygna Beta. Cygna Beta is a massive body orbiting the Cygna Alpha Singularity. With intense tidal forces rubbish is quickly fused into dense rocklike deposits and eventually pulled into the singularity. The reciever station is located on the tidal pole opposite the singularity in a relatively stable orbit and waste is continuously flowing out from its many hyperspace reciever fields.

The use of these hyperspace transport bins for rubbish was nearly outlawed soon after it was put into operation as many saw the bins as a way to immediately and permanently dispose of criminal evidence, suicides, even murders were committed using the initial rubbish bins. It was decided by majority vote by the Network of Forward Thinking Rehabilitationist party that the advantages of the system outweighed the sudden spree of mysterious dissappearances and crime. Its worth noting that within 78 years of use of the rubbish bins and permanent disposeall units the population growth of humanity has stabilized and suicides and murder are almost nonexistant. The department of missing persons maintains a steady growth rate and employment therin is at a premium.
    Last edited by TomCardin; January 18th, 2007 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks
    here is my work on COW 74 the Golden Guddle Greaper:
    Attachment 80853
    I shrunk these wips down just to view more easily in my sketchbook...unlike a lot of previous work I started at my final resolution of 600x800 and just began detailing. I wanted to create a painted, realistic look to my creature rather than looking illustrative. I began with some custom texture brushes to block in an underlying roughness to everything then built up my final colors and textures on top of that rough sketchy image. I feel I made a good step forward with this piece and I am happy with the look.
    Attachment 80855

Thanks
    Great work in your thread. Your pencils and digitals are great. I would love to see some more of your finished pencils. Keep posting the step by step of your pieces as wel. Great way to learn for the rest of us here.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Nice piece Tom. Good concept and painting.
    Nice to see you're throwing yourself into thje COW challenges.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Hey Tom. This last piece seems to be a huge improvement over previous pieces. One thing that I've noticed as a recurring thing in your digis is the use of small soft edged brushes being used to fill in large areas. Try using large hard edged brushes on a high opacity for filling in those large spaces, and always try to use the largest brush possible that will fit in the given area you're working on. I read somewhere on these boards, and i'm sure it's been said more than once, that to help in developing a sense of brush economy turn off shape dynamics in your brush property dialog. You mentioned in one of your posts about being worried that your colors are too washed out, and I have to agree that some of them do look very washed out. If you feel that your piece is getting a little washed out, try experimenting with your saturation, and hue settings to get a little more saturation in your colors. Although the washed out can be good in creating a feeling if you learn how to use it. Anyhow, good progress so far. Keep at 'er!

sep
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Thanks all. I really try to improve myself with each painting, even if its just using a little tip I learned somewhere. I appreciate all the support I am getting from this community, you guys are all just a driving force of inspiration! Thank you!

Here is a freshly finished piece for my friend's Lovecraft work. A Deep One.
    Attachment 82248
    I am trying for a classical looking illustration quality to these. At least as a starting point. To fit in with the era in which the mythos exists.
    Last edited by TomCardin; January 23rd, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast