Sketchbook: Tom Cardin's Sketchbook - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude. That heart harvester sketch is pretty good looking. On the ps paintover watch it with the textures in the foreground monster, it's looking really "applied" rather than "painted" if you understand what I mean by that. Right now the whole thing is looking flat in general, but I'm sure that will start to change as you begin to add more detail in the appropriate spots, and apply the rest of the colors. Keep it up, man.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback, Sepulverture. I am still working on it. Here's my latest update.
    Name:  heartharvester03.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  153.0 KB
    I changed the grass to fix some perspective issues affecting the whole piece. Main creature got a lot of progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final for cow 78. I turned things much darker as I progressed to build up a mood of horror and the unnatural. Also wrote up a Lovecraftian description.
    Name:  heartharvester05a.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  233.9 KB
    I think it came out quite good...but there is some very good work from people on this cow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you stuff is grotesque but pretty to look at the same time. Great job

?)

sketchy poo(sketchbook)
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...87#post2014787

"I do not judge, I only chronicle"... sargent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude the progression of your work is great as was said earlier. Its also interesting to see the steps you took to get there, Love your recent C.O.W. work, and this week's is gonna be a tough one! (the last few have been... hmm )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooo hoo! I am thrilled that my Glue Makers won! I really like some of my other pieces from previous cows more but I ain't gonna complain.

minjarr - Thank you. Yeah things are getting sick and twisted here...I have a personal project with a friend to do illustrations for a Lovecraft book he is making. So I am just building up a style to go with it. Horror is not my normal subject...I like high fantasy most.

ChaoticKnight - Thanks. Not sure what you mean by the "...hmm" But glad you like my stuff...though I am being almost completely ignored so far with my Heart Harvester- really would like it if people would at least say what they don't like about it, then I might have a chance. Yeah I don't use the style of many favorite cow artists but I am working on improving my own style rather than painting just like someone else.

This started as a doodle at work at least two month ago. I dulled many pencils on it as it kind of grew into a strange abstract of monoliths. The door came in out of inspiration and alludes to a strange story behind this unlikely assortment of rocks in space. It also helped me come up with a title for the piece...Hiding.
    Name:  hiding.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  309.3 KB

There is a horrifying science fiction book called "The Killing Star" by two authors, Charles Pelligrino and one other which I can't remember...by the end of the book mankind is almost no more, having been destroyed by an alien race. The few tiny pockets of humans left alive are those who hid the best and kept their heads down. This picture loosely began to follow one of the narratives of that book. I highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strange and abstract is right, but strange and abstract things usually make the coolest doodles .

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sepulverture - Thanks...yup I like to just develop shapes to start with. I just hate finding a better shape once I am 3/4 done with a painting.

Tried a speed paint today from reference...1 hour
    Name:  tetons.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  44.8 KB
    I am keen to learn more speed painting techniques. This is mostly just a development of my own techniques, though I am sure not unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my Lava Swimmer...sketched him up while at GDC between sessions and worked on him quick, not much time left.
    Name:  swimmer3.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  254.8 KB
    My little Lava Dragon..enjoying a relaxing lava bath.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sketchgroup buddy!
    like your latest C.O.W. it looks like hes comfy lol.
    My only crit is that there doesnt seem to be a lot of depth in the head in comparison to the body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My final version of the Lava Swimmer...Thanks for the feedback!
    Name:  swimmer5.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  231.6 KB
    C.O.W. #79 Lava Swimmer
    Lava Dragons are a rare denizen of the plane of fire, though some may be found dwelling in the plane of earth and a very select few can be found in molten volcanic hearts of several other worlds. Left to their own devices, Lava Dragons are perfectly happy just swimming about in molten rock and metals. Though they are not predatory dragons by nature, the few known to live within volcanos will stir things up from time to time to encourage locals to chuck sacrifices of tasty morsels into the caldera.

Shown here is the Lava Dragon King, Magmathrax. On his massive chin he bears many swirling carvings, each made by a different female mate. These are the sigils of the world serpent and signs of dragon royalty among the Lava Dragons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looksmuch better! any plans for the healer?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the lava swimmer.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys..here's my two takes on the Winged healer:
    Name:  wingedhealer4.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  130.3 KBName:  wingedhealer5.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  102.4 KB
    COW #80 Winged Healer
    The bioluminescent Halo Birds of Reticulus are remarkably beautiful avian creatures. During mating season the female Halo Birds lose thier luminescence and become lethargic and earthbound, in some cases they appear lifeless. In this state the glowing males descend upon them and mate. Almost immediately afterwards the females begin to light up brightly once more and take to the dark skies in an excited state to begin building a nest. This seasonal ritual has dubbed the male Halo Birds with term Winged Healer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude. Your environs that you're putting your cows in are looking better and better, not to mention the cows themselves. The healer looks more like some sort of lightning elemental than a healer, although the pure look (all white) was a good choice. Nice contrast and good composition. You might try to add something in there that demonstrates it's ability to "heal". Adding in some of the lifeless looking females getting revived .

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice winged healer. I lvoe the designs that are like runes. It makes the piece pop out. Also, I know you were looking for crits on your heart harvester. I think it may be the composition thats a little odd. Theres not enough shown of the bottom right foreground dude to make it worthwhile, so perhaps if you made him coming from the background tunnel it may have made the comp. more aesthetically pleasing. just a thought.
    Oh and btw I completely agree with you about finding your own painting style. There is something to be said for learning from people who kick ass though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my sketch for the living trap
    Name:  livingtrap.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  209.8 KB
    and the final image: I changed the creature a great deal. The creature in the sketch was too close to an existing creature in dungeons and dragons...and frankly just not imaginative enough.
    Name:  livingtrap04.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  158.8 KB
    COW #81 Living Trap
    The Rugose Cave Worm is a rare denizen of several caves in the Southern Andes. It mimics a stalactite while laying in wait for an unwary victim to pass beneath. Sitting motionless for most of its life it can survive many months between meals. When prey does pass beneath it will emerge from its tube like a shot and quickly yank it up into the air where its struggles are quite futile. Not much is known yet about the mating habits or den building of the Rugose Cave Worms but a film crew is currently documenting a year long study of the mysterious habits of these living traps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sepulverture and ChaoticKnight I really appreciate the support and kind words!

Sorry that I haven't had time to post in my sketchbook for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first sketch for arctic undead creature:
    Name:  arcticundead_sketch.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  115.0 KB
    I wasn't happy yet with the creature so I went back to the drawing board and really worked up the "undeadness" of the creature...I was going for something spooky and icky.
    Name:  arcticundead_creep.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  67.1 KB
    When I brought it into photoshop I went to work on the eyes to make them frightening as I could.
    Name:  arcticundead05.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  111.8 KB
    COW #82 Arctic Undead Creature

Wendigo's howl rose above the blizzard and Nantak new it may be last thing he would ever hear. Soon the snow parted and he beheld the unliving gaze of the spirit of the storm. The eskimo hunter clutched his spear tight and whispered a prayer to his ancestors as Wendigo lurched forward hungrily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good dude, but something about your work makes it seem grainy... for lack of a better descriptive word to use. Can't really tell what it is though. Hope to see you posting more soon.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, i come back after a few months and you amaze me! Loving all these creatures - you've really improved your ability to show atmosphere and motion. I Think the California Dew Frog is one of my favorite things ever (of course i always like watery stuff...) Anyway, only real crit i have to give is that your humanoid hands tend to be lacking in comparison to everything else. They all kind of look the same and not very expressive - hands should show emotion. I think you just have one or two poses your comfortable with - just draw your hand a whole bunch, and when you run out of poses, switch to doing it from a mirror to get a whole other set.

Progress in here is really inspiring, keep rocking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the undead creature, although the background seems a bit too dark to me. If it were a bit lighter and faded everything in the foreground would pop foreward alot more. Im no expert on atmospheric perspective, mind you, but I think it might help it alot. Great creature design!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work, as always.
    I am going to use "The Rugose Cave Worm" in my game, I hope you don't mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sepulverture - do you mean all my work or just the last couple pieces? I have been playing with canvas textures and more textured brushes in the last few which may be causing the graininess you are seeing. Also when I work from a scanned in drawing I have been leaving a lot of pencil work revealed...all attempts to try different things and see what works for me or doesn't. Thanks for the feedback.

Fishspawn - thanks for your praise! I constantly hope to improve. Thanks for the critique about the hands I draw and paint. I don't entirely agree but I will practice in that area.

ChaoticKnight - I played with the lighting on my undead creature a whole lot. I didn't quite get the lighting and I wanted on the creature. I have a long way to go with colors to achieve the level I want to be at. Thanks for your critique.

Garrett Moffitt - "as always"? heck I was never this good before! I like to think I get better with each painting or at least try to improve one aspect or another of myself. Your welcome to use my cave worms...please watch for my future creature of the week entries, hopefully you will find my entries worth voting for as well.

Here's a piece I have been working on sporadically for the last couple weeks..haven't had nearly enough time to just relax and paint - missed the last few creature of the weeks even.
    Name:  reaching06.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  108.7 KB
    Its another Lovecraftian beastie

Last edited by TomCardin; April 30th, 2007 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I meant all of your digital work. I don't know if "grainy" is the right word to use or not, but it seemed right at the time. It also seems like a lot of stuff is unnecessarily desaturated.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sepulverture thanks for the feedback. Not sure yet what the graininess you are seeing is...I am assuming so far that its from my pencil work that shows through. About my colors I agree with you, I am still new to color work and tend to shy away from high contrast areas and saturated colors. I am conciously trying to drive myself to improve in those areas.

My first wip for Silver Tooth:
    Name:  silvertooth.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  164.6 KB

tightened up things a bunch for my next wip: I am working in a much higher resolution about 2500x3300 and using a lot more custom brushes. Also trying to keep my contrast up...still in greyscale, I want to get it really tight before I color it.
    Name:  silvertooth02.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  121.3 KB

more detailing on the legs and hands of the creature and built up the background more. I think its about ready for color...going to sleep on it and see what else I want to do with the greyscale image before I start coloring. Also still haven't decided on a color scheme.
    Name:  silvertooth03.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  135.8 KB

Last edited by TomCardin; May 5th, 2007 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  silvertooth07.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  183.1 KB
    C.O.W. #85 Silver Tooth
    A Recently discovered occult book dating from the early middle ages in what is now Hungary sheds some dubious truth to the legends of werewolves. In one particularly unwholesome passage it tells of a several hundred year plague of lycanthropy, a highly infectious disease of the blood which transforms humans into vicious murdering beasts under the light of the moon. Further, it tells of the eventual destruction of the werewolves and the eradication of the dreaded disease. The Silver Tooth was a species bred over many decades by the Monks of Aventur to combat the terror of werewolves. From the description it appears Silver Toothes stood 12 to 15 feet tall and had four powerfull apelike arms ending in prehensile paws to grasp their prey. Their namesake was their silver teeth with which they destroyed the vast population of werewolves. The monks kept their breeding methods secret but it is clear to scientists that the Silver Toothes themselves had lycanthropy in their blood and seem to be a mix of ape and wolf themselves. Bred only to attack and eat werewolves, the Silver Toothes eventually died out once their food supply was exhausted. One final passage hints of a hidden tomb where the Monks laid to rest the last of their creations. Scientists hope to discover this tomb and trace the genome of these creatures.

Last edited by TomCardin; May 8th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am currently working on this piece I started a long time ago. Employing a lot of the things I have learned here during the course of doing the creature of the week activities.
    Name:  amazon05b.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  223.6 KB

Still a lot of work left to do on her but I am very happy with how she is coming along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I haven't posted in ages. I developed tedonitis in the wrist and thumb of my drawing hand that basically wouldn't let me hold a pencil without sharp pain.

It's getting better. I have to let it heal fully before I can draw and paint again and even then in moderation and with changes to how I hold my hand while I paint.

I can still use a mouse and type which is enough for me to do my job but my creative duties were seriously curtailed.

I hope to be contributing to my sketchbook and COW again regularly within a couple of months. I had hoped to be healed up enough to do the 100th COW but I don't think it will be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a little game design and creative writing exercise I did for the game designer thread happening down in the Lounge.

When someone dies their spirit may be returned by a mage to imbue within a powerful weapon or artifact, thus imbuing that device with intelligence. Often the spirit is virtually enslaved to a purpose and given so little free will that the items intelligence is minimal. In some cases the spirit is given full control over the item it imbues.

which brings us to:

The point of being which was the spirit of Levant drifted aimlessly in a void of nothingness, until a light suddenly appeared. The light shimmered with every hue and tendrils of scintillating color reached towards him and wrapped him in their embrace. Levant was drawn forward and the light exploded around him, filling the void with its brilliance.

Sensations began to flood in on Levant, warmth came first starting in his center and extending outwards, defining his chest and legs and arms and head. Then touch tingled along his skin, he felt the stone slab beneath him and a cool breath of air passed over him and seemingly through him. Sound came next, a voice he had never thought to hear again speaking a single word over and over. Father!

He turned his head towards the voice and the all-encompassing light began to break appart and seperate into forms with definition. He looked upon a lovely brunette woman wearing the distinguished robes of a grand mage, no not just a woman, his daughter, Velace. Older now, all grown up, but strangely smaller. He spoke but the booming voice he heard was not his own "Sweatheart"

His body jerked in suprise and his skin rang against the stone slab like metal. He stopped in stunned silence, and felt his daughters' tiny hands laid upon his arm. Looking down he saw her fingers twining into the delicate tracery of metal that formed the shape of a large forearm. Inside the arm, clearly visible through the lacy metal of his skin, was an armature of rods and complex hinges extending down and bifurcating into a five fingered hand. His eyes flew back to his daughters face and saw the look of love and concern written there.

"Father, everything is all right. You needn't fear your new body, it is beautiful and strong. It is crafted from the adamantine metal of your very own armor and at your heart is the Gem of Visoria the brilliant gem of power which was the diadem of your crown. You are alive again, Father."

He looked down the length of his body, easily twice his former height. His skin a finely crafted wire mesh of curls and contours and arcane designs. Inside, his metal armature was like a finely detailed skeleton each "bone" etched and carved with runes and symbols.

"How long?" was all he could manage to say as indescribable feelings washed over him.

"It has taken many years to construct your body," Velace began. "And I could only begin once I had mastered the arts, you have been gone from your kingdom for eighteen years."

"No," he said, once more turning his focus back to his daughter. "How long do I have, how long will this body last?"

"Father, your body is as indesctructable as your armor which never bore a scratch in all your battles." Her eyes twinkled and a smile played on her lips. "You will live forever!"

Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6