Thanks

Question Website Help needed-- Without Frames ?

Ok I need help with my website; I want to update it/improve it Here is a link to what is there now...
    I plan on removing the java and just having thumbnails that open full in the bottom/main frame... (if I can figure out how to do it)

Now I've been reading up on the whole html thing, and everyone says FRAMES BAD!!! So here is my question.... how else can I get the look/results I have without frames?

I have looked up some CSS alternatives BUT with those I'd have to type/copy paste the links and header to every webpage! Thats not good! CSS is supposed to make changing/updating easier not harder!

Right now I have 1. frame page, 1 header page and 6 target pages (that show up in the bottom frame.) If I need to change the header/links its only 1 page to update... with the CSS frames spoof its 6 pages to update!

I know there are lots of smart web people here, please help! I've used html (recently installed NVU) and my flash4 doesn't work anymore.

Marcelo
    my own worst enemy....

oldSketch Book small updated 09-19-06

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    CSS is supposed to make formatting easier, and it does. I looked at your site and you would probably be able to solve your problem by looking up i-frames and div-tags. The i-frame is basically a frame-element you can throw in to a site formatted with a div-tag structure instead of a frame structure. It's kind of a cheap way out tho. It will work for what you're doing and it's not hard to figure out how to use it, but you'll be way cooler if you don't use frames at all and make a dynamically generated index-file in php, ajax or ruby on rails instead. Link it to an xml- or MySQL-database and your the shit.
    -hal

Thanks
    If you want editable info that shows up in multiple pages, you might look into server-side includes (SSI). I use it, and I love how easy it is to add and subtract from my thumbnail list. It's insanely better than having to edit every html file separately, and you can actually bookmark or link to exact pages that you want to show people. Good luck.
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    You need a <div> tag for the menu and below that another <div> with the content. Of course, you need to do some hard work to change to CSS, but afterwards, it's worth it. You could redesign the whole site without touching the css.

Thanks
    dooooood instead of all that complicated stuff just use tables they are what the cool kids use

frames are for people who dont know php lol
    not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jadefoodog
    dooooood instead of all that complicated stuff just use tables they are what the cool kids use

frames are for people who dont know php lol
    ... You realise tables for formatting were outdated quite a long time a go, actually they were never intended for formatting purposes but at the time it was the best way to do it.
    These days it's MUCH easier, manageable and convenient to work with CSS if you have any idea what you're doing.

Thanks
    From my POV, it depends on if you know and like web dessign, or you just kant to get your promotional site done.

From what i know, frames are not that bas as long as you use them in a reasonable, nonabussibe way: a frame for this image, another one for this one, all of them apearing in the main frameset acording the button clicked, thats it. I think that that would be a nice way to get your idea done.

You just should avid things like "thisfrmaneintothisonebutparentedintoother..."

in the nonabussive way, the oly bad you get using frames is the possibility
    of being wrongly indexed by search engines, but now a day you cant expect a lot from searche ngines unless you invest a lot on advertising.

Copyng and pasting a prewritnen css code may be frustrating, but you have to doit just once, latter on, like everyona has said, this will help you on easily updatting your site.

And, a good way to get this done would be, ah, i know many would refuse, ussing Macromedia Flash. The problem is that you will have to pay for it, learn Actionscript (although is not that difficult with oyur idea in mind) and people will need Flashplayer to navigate your site.

The last soultion would be to change the dessign: ion stead of having the images displayed in another frame or i-frame, get them oppened ina new window, like the main gallery in thie site does. You can do it ussing DHTML, really easy and standar.

Thanks
    I would look onto the tutorials at http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp.
    Take a look at the CSS part and especially the one on placement. I use 3 tables for mine, formatted with CSS. It works great. As long you do not have 10+ pages it is fine just to copy paste. Also get a good HTML editor like PSPad.
    | My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula