Thanks

Good art not subjective...

...at least according to Paul Graham. I generally like his essays and found his latest one to be relevant and thought I'd share it.

How Art Can Be Good

He also links to another essay he wrote: Taste for Makers

It takes confidence to throw work away. You have to be able to think, there's more where that came from. When people first start drawing, for example, they're often reluctant to redo parts that aren't right; they feel they've been lucky to get that far, and if they try to redo something, it will turn out worse. Instead they convince themselves that the drawing is not that bad, really-- in fact, maybe they meant it to look that way.
    At an art school where I once studied, the students wanted most of all to develop a personal style. But if you just try to make good things, you'll inevitably do it in a distinctive way, just as each person walks in a distinctive way. Michelangelo was not trying to paint like Michelangelo. He was just trying to paint well; he couldn't help painting like Michelangelo.
    Good stuff to reinforce sometimes.
    Last edited by fukifino; December 20th, 2006 at 07:33 PM.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm a big fan of Paul Graham's essays, and this one is certainly relevant for us around here. I'd definitely recommend people read his other essays as well. Even the ones that have nothing to with art are filled with gems of knowledge and wisdom.

Thanks for posting this, Fuki!

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Just finished reading it. Its too absolutist for my liking. I guess I must have bad taste

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Thanks for reminding me of Paul Graham. I just ordered his book.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    When I was in art school, we were looking one day at a slide of some great fifteenth century painting, and one of the students asked "Why don't artists paint like that now?" The room suddenly got quiet. Though rarely asked out loud, this question lurks uncomfortably in the back of every art student's mind. It was as if someone had brought up the topic of lung cancer in a meeting within Philip Morris.

"Well," the professor replied, "we're interested in different questions now." He was a pretty nice guy, but at the time I couldn't help wishing I could send him back to fifteenth century Florence to explain in person to Leonardo & Co. how we had moved beyond their early, limited concept of art. Just imagine that conversation.

Yeah, I was into paul graham a while ago. His essays were very interesting for me at the time. I thought this was an old essay, it feels like I've read this somewhere else on the site, but I guess it's just that he often has the same touch when bringing up things (and I like his viewpoint).Something to learn from but something that, at least I, have to apply to my own personality. This is true in everything written or said but it's more important when you're getting influenced by strong minded persons (Ayn Rand comes to mind). Otherwise, you could easily feel inferior or stressed out, a subconscious fear. It's important to walk your own path, to mix different ingredients yourself (these should be of some quality). I'm talking about his other essays now and getting off topic.

Cheers for the update!

(A lesson in writing an ambiguous post.. :/)
    Last edited by Seer; December 21st, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
    SSG 34
    gadammit it's
    The Selenium Six

..seer..alzorath..bunny..max xiantu..liquidjack..beershite..