Thanks

This calls for expletives.

Painter 9 just screwed me over. I've experienced it closing out of nowhere before, it's a pain to lose unsaved work, but not the worst thing in the world. Cut to today, while working on a freelance project for the past 8 hours I click to save and bam, painter disappears. I thought, "ok, I lost 10 minutes, but not a big deal" and open up painter again. I go to open my PSD back up and it won't open, the file is completely destroyed.

so... fuck.

Having to miss insomania due to sickness and now this, it's a pretty shitty week.

Someone tell me why painter has this problem, because I need to do what I can to prevent this in the future. Corrupting a psd file is just unacceptable.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Damn man that sucks

Have you tried http://www.irfanview.com/ ? It may be able to open the corrupted file.

Thanks
    are you using iterative saves?
    that should help a bunch.
    it saves a version of your painting and adds a 001 and so forth onto the end.
    that way, if you save often, you might get like a couple hundred versions, but then you can go back and delete the ones that are old and don't need anymore.

just save often is the best advice i know of.
    and always save different versions instead of saving over a previous one. if you just hit save, that can corrupt your file.

hope that helps.

Thanks
    hey man ive had the same problem with PS7 for a few months now... i dunno wtf is going on either. i'll be working and it just vanishes suddenly. so now ive gotten into the habbit of saving like a fiend.. BUT! even that sometimes causes it to freeze. its like if i save too much it goes to lockdown and i have to restart the computer.. anyone have a clue?? - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mwillustration
    are you using iterative saves?
    that should help a bunch.
    it saves a version of your painting and adds a 001 and so forth onto the end.
    that way, if you save often, you might get like a couple hundred versions, but then you can go back and delete the ones that are old and don't need anymore.

just save often is the best advice i know of.
    and always save different versions instead of saving over a previous one. if you just hit save, that can corrupt your file.

hope that helps.
    Yes, I'm going to have to start doing this.

Thanks
    I've had this problem in the past as well. I think it has something to do with a lack of RAM because it doesn't happen on my higher ended laptop compared to my aging desktop. I didn't know about the iterative saves though. I would just manually "save as" and name them according to stages.

Sorry to hear about your week. :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    also,
    make sure to update your version of painter.
    there is a free patch for painter 9.1 and 9.5 here:
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1153321173886
    you have to install 9.1 before you install 9.5.
    i dont think this bug was particularly addressed, but it sure wouldn't hurt.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Any chance Painter created a temporary file on close in an area other than where you save? Maya does that sometimes. It'll crap out and attempt to save a temporary file elsewhere for recovery purposes. Maybe Painter does something similar.

Alec

Thanks
    That sucks man, I feel your pain. And i know how it feels because i've had that happen to me at least 50 times in the past year. Painter and Photoshop are as stable as a castle compared to the straw and stickytape contruct that is 3dstudioMAX.

In some scenes I can expect a crash every 10 mins on average, and in one particular scene i fondly recall, every crash would corrupt the file. Every 10 mins = crash = corrupted file. We had to use a feature called 'hold' that temporarily saves the file (which worked for some reason), and then merge every peice of geometry into a new file to finally save it out.

I'm working on a job at the moment and I'm literally up to my 98th interation... I'll delete the old ones only once the job is finished, you never know in 3d when corruption creeps in and you don't find about it for a few days.

I think I spend 15 mins out of every hour simply saving file backups and 'holding' the file before i make changes. You get burnt once and you never let it happen again.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dutton
    ... I think it has something to do with a lack of RAM because it doesn't happen on my higher ended laptop compared to my aging desktop...
    you could be right. someone else has told me that before. and since this issue began.. my comp has began to just freeze and then shut down.. giving me some message about memory dump cuz limit was exceeded bla bla bla. so ive ordered a memory upgrade.. once i install it we'll see what happens.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    it aint ram, i have 2gigs and nothing running but painter and a few small chat programs and its done it before..

Thanks
    Are you working on Windoze? Because Windoze is known to be a perfect OS.

Joking aside, Im sorry for what happened for you. I think I would head but my monitor if the same happened to me.