Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warning: sketches may cause a burning sensation in your eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Warning: sketches may cause a burning sensation in your eyes

this is the front of my sketchbook thought i'd start out with it

First time poster here at CA, so i might as well introduce myself, names Dimitri I'm 17, I'm a highschool senior currently applying to schools trying to up my skills before i head off for my education (MICA is my first choice and they have been really positive so far)
    heres some sketches I've done,
    for some reason I cant use attachments so it looks like im gonna have to use image shack for now. *oops stupid pop up blocker figured it out*

Until next time
    DiMb

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DiMb; July 5th, 2007 at 03:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to CA keep posting - youre off to a good start. try some anatomy studies and drawings from life to improve...

My sketchbook is here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    softocean- thanks for the comment... i'll be sure to get right on that anatomy, bought some bridgeman books but I've also been hearing alot about this loomis guy on this forum.. so maybe I'll check him out, returned the favor on your sketchbook

okay so hears some more stuff
    plus i upped the contrast on the last image in my previous post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

Nice stuff overall, I'd love to have the skill to pull caricature drawings off the top of my head like this!

Minor crit on the front facing guy with the arrows on his head from your last post - the top of the ear should be in line with the top of the eye when facing you directly. It may look better if you lower them a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tazzy- good advice dude, lloking at some more heads in my sketchbook the er situtuing seems to be a recuring problem ill have to pay attention to that more

anyways hers an update
    a new character done in cruddy thin sharpie and prisma colors since thats all i had in my my bag and some stuff from before i inked with the same cruddy thin sharpy

DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome!

My sketches (such as they are)

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75440

and while you're at it, why not visit:

oldnoobie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and welcome to CA!

I liked your sketches, I hope to see more of them in the future. oh, the facial expressions look really awesome btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daraf, giggleplex thanks for the encouragement and the warm Welcome
    Nayko thanks for that also, and fot your compliments on facial expression

here are todays victims
    the one on the bottom is in my favorite and most comfortible style that I abandoned for a while the sake of practicing skills, I wanna get back into doing this style
    DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

12/24 update

So its christmas eve, most of the fam is home, my brother is back from cali which is exciting.. but theres defenitly gonna be some cool drawing books for me under the tree which is cool, so hopefully ill be back with some new stuff tommorow...
    ... i call the last one the real reason no ones seen santaclaus
    DiMb

*edit can someone please tell me how to update my title..
    thanks a bunch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff, and thanks for viewing my stuff. Another good anatomy book is Anatomy for Artists: by Elliot Goldfinger. You draw circles around me at your age (I'm 24).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the title, it appears you need to click "edit" on your first post and then at the bottom of that page you click "go advanced" whereupon you will be presented with an opportunity to edit your title.

About the avatar, click "user cp" in the upper left and click "edit avatar" in there. At that point you will get an opportunity to either upload an avatar of 100x100 pixels or 29.3 kb (whichever is smaller). Alternatively you can paste a link in there to an avatar of that size if you prefer to use an external host. Best of luck. (I kind of like your title though. It's a little bit zen and it's why I came in here.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks attorney, is there anyway i can get the image to appear at the front of my post too? i had one before tried to change it and thats when all hell broke loose..
    Azzari thanks for your comments man i appreciate it
    kinda confused
    Dimb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there is, but I have never done that. I think the system defaults to the first image in your sketchbook, so maybe you can change it by changing the first image in your sketchbook.

Oh. I think I may have misunderstood you. If your avatar doesn't appear in your posts, then it is probably because you have clicked the wrong button concerning "custom avatar" in "user cp" I'll go look at mine to get you better info.

Yeah, there's a button in "edit avatar" for "do not use avatar" and one for "custom avatar" Make sure the do not use avatar one is NOT selected. Make sure the custom avatar one is selected. Otherwise you get no avatar.

If that doesn't do it maybe you broke a link of some sort and you need help from an admin.

Last edited by arttorney; December 25th, 2006 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    attorney- thanks for all your help... stopped by your sketchbook left my thoughts about it... and azzari if i am drawing circles around your 17 yaer old self that bodes well for me cause your stuff is really nice
    well heres an update.. 2 paintings i did for christmas.. i think i need to add some more shadow around the eye in the 1st one.. what do you think?

commetns.. critiques.. confessions of your undying love or loathing.. whatever strikes you etc
    oh and a very merry christmas to all.. hope everything went well i got tons of drawing books as i thought i would, 1 on figure drawing another on portrait drawing and illustration now which has 150 of the worlds best illustrators.. i think some members here might be in it but its more focused on the older illustration crowd

DiMb

Last edited by DiMb; December 25th, 2006 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright heres some more sketches trying atleast to post one a day.. and dear god is it really 1 am?

DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay well heres some more updates.. for the first time im not updating at some strange time in the middle of the night....

comments critiques welcome

DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    happy new year everyone! my newyears resolution is to tackle anatomy in my drawing... fortunatly these were all drawn before then so im not breaking any resolutions just yet.. been having sort of an artists block latley if thats possible.. i think im gonna start looking at some more graffitti for some reason that always inspires me.. also ive been browsing the sketchbooks alot lately since theres so much inspirational work here. havent really been commenting though... such is an artistic funk

hoping for some crits

DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you have been busy lately! It's good to see you are breaking away from the style of your first few pics and trying new ideas. I like the stylization, it's looking good DiMb. Great to see you experimenting with different mediums too...keep it coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey tazzy thanks a bunch.. left some comments on your sketchbook too

Adoring Public: OMG WTF dimb hasnt updated his sketchbook in forever im so angry
    DiMb: okay guys im sorry i know its hard to live without your daily dimb fix so here s abig update as an apology
    haha
    hey i can dream cant I?

anyways heres a big update.. just finished applying to colleges let you know how i make out in the whole process.. maybe i'll even make a little list of where I applied and why i thought i got in with some examples of my work etc
    sorry for the typos im rushing
    as always c&c welcome
    Dimb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It,s been about amonth.. so what have I been up to? applying to art college mostly.. after finishing your portfolio theres a disgusting amount of paper work you must get done.

Well it's not as though I havent been drawing so heres some stuff, just a cross section of what ive been doing over this month or so.. i really will try to keep up now, but we shall see

DiMb

p.s. On the note of college, I will be supplying a post as soon as I hear back from all my colleges consisting of my portfolio images, snippets about me, my grades, maybe some exerts from my essays, and why I chose the school I did. just coming off this experience I think potential art students could find this very helpful.

Last edited by DiMb; February 6th, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

huge dump

okay i dissapeared again it happens.. but some more stuff just to keep me motivated.. a cross section of what ive been doing for the past few months.. ill take some pictures of my paintings after a while and put them up...

weve got some fun characters of the more cartoony style, some eventual graffiti peices, osme more rpg based work.. whatever it is im enjoying my art as much as ever

till next time
    DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a good imagination and a knack for capturing character in your faces. With some life drawing and perhaps a Loomis book or 2 you could really improve.

I think that you should grab some magazines or sit outside and draw your friends, paying attention to the basic shapes and proportions. Draw them as circles and boxes if you have too, but once you get used to the basics your stylised characters should really come to life.

Keep posting.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well today ive got some urban art for you.. I didnt paint roller this old wood before i went at it so it soaked up most the paint so i eventually gave up.. ill have some more impressive stuff soon hopefully....
    ive also got an acrylic panting coming your way in the next few days.. justhave to figure out what to do with the background
    -DiMb
    oh and im fairly new to spray paints but i like the medium.. i do well with usung different shades of the shame color and the harshe lines it creates

Last edited by DiMb; April 4th, 2007 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, your character designs are rockin' and you always manage to give them such expressive faces! I love how the St. Patty Day sketches are so unabashedly silly. The spray-paint art is also awesome. Have you ever heard of Banksy?

Anyway, it's neat to think that we might both end up at MICA. Keep up the good work!

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your compliments.. and banksy is so utterly amazing, essentially all i could dream to be. Im probably going to start a community project to project graffiti in a better light around here. Well see what happens with the cash situation though things like this take some time. Expect a ton more graffiti in the time to come. anyways yeah hope to see you at MICA.. (fingers crossed till mid april)

anywho yeah... until next time
    oh and the pic quality sucks but i try not to update w/ out art

-DiMb

*edit sucha bad picture taken removed it.. ill be back

Last edited by DiMb; April 5th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new painting

heres a new painting i just did... critiques are always good...

so today was easter.. I'm Greek orthodox so today was a pretty hectic but mighty fun. broke the whole lent deal which is always good.

yeah so until next time

-DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep on bombin bro. Your style is very different from the art we are used to seeing in these threads, but that is what itis all about. Keep going. You have alot to learn, we all do. But I wan to encourage you to keep developing your style and don't let anyone influence you to do the old same old same old.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daraf- thanks a ton for your critiques and compliments, i really like your stuff i'll drop some comments at your sketchbook.

some good news fron this end though... i'll be attending MICA which is my first choice and considered one fo the best art schools in the country.. so im excited needless to say... not really sure what they saw in me but happy to get accepted.

thres some sketches here too

-DiMb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, really awesome stuff over all. I love the charachres ( butchered that word( you know what i mean)) i wish there was a little more level of realness in some of your pieces, but over all this is a great sketch book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.