Thanks

About a job: is this deadline too tight?

I was offered to send in my portfolio for an illustration job but I have serious douts if the people who I would be working for know what they are doing in terms of setting a viable deadline for the projects completion.

I am to do 50+ full-colour illustrations for a childrens book in 7-8weeks, and then on top of that produce all the graphics and animation for a Flash-based videogame about the book in 10 weeks.

The illustrations will rage from full-page to quarter-page, be cartoony but "crowded and full of action". I included a reference photo of the type of stuff theyre looking for. They wont pay me per hour, but for the whole job. I dont think that includes revisions.

Now, I have serious doubts about this. It sounds like they're looking for just one person to do a WHOLE lot of work. What say you? Is it reasonable?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It really depends on how much you get payed and how fast you can complete an illustration to the level they're looking for. If you're the kind of guy that likes to spend days on a single illustration then I guess the job's not for you. if you can get something finished and good looking done in a couple of hours then go for it... my point is that it's only you that can know if the deadline is realistic or not. If it was me I'd probably ask for more time or atleast enough money to keep me motivated enough to work nights and weekends.

Thanks
    Depends on how fast you work, but in my experience 8 weeks is waaay short for that many illos. 8 weeks is 56 days... can you reasonably expect to get one of those "crowded" illos done every day, 7 days a week, for 2 months solid? I know I couldn't do it.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    I think Ill go with my first thought and let this one go, its not realistic. Especially when I heard that they had an illustrator, but that he buggered off as soon as the scope of the work was clear.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    [disclaimer] I’ve never freelanced as an illustrator or game artist so take anything I say with salt. . .[/disclaimer]

Woah. Either the book illustrations OR the game in that period of time could be doable if you really buckle down and work smart. Both. . . maybe if you’re feeling like superman and you’ve got a stockpile of Wheaties. Maybe. But ouch.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.