• Lighting

1 33.33%
  • 'Scaping

1 33.33%
  • Architecture

1 33.33%
  • Those weird plants, there.

0 0%
    A snowy dump. In the middle. Of a snowy dump.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Phear my shitty architecture!

I tried rllyrlly hard at this one, but it obviously failed, so it is in DIRE NEED of really harsh, steamy, INTENSE critique.

It's an alien landscape from some fictional world I made up some time in 2004, which explains the weird, red, plate-shaped "grass" and the weird alien "trees" and junk.

But, anyway, just critique it! NOWNOWNOW! And don't try to spare my feelings, either.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    focus on all of them...As an artist you should want to further every aspect of your art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooookkkaayyy.... your perspective is WAY off. you really need to work on that. and this shouldn't have been that difficult, its just boxes.
    study perspective!!
    second, why are you drawing shit from a made up alien world? seems like you're trying to cheat yourself, "oh, well its an ALIEN tree, it doesn't have to look like a REAL tree, OH its ALIEN grass, its supposed to look like that..."
    see what im sayin?
    you need to draw whats in front of you. GO OUTSIDE and draw REAL trees, REAL grass, REAL buildings, etc. once you get those things down you can then make ALIEN trees that are actually believable.
    some people try to do the same thing by drawing creatures all the time, "yeah, the anatomy is SUPPOSED to be weird because its an alien"
    well, what makes GOOD creature design work(and environment design) is when its based in reality. your "alien tree" isn't a tree. it looks more like a sculpture. but if it was based on a real tree it might actually work.
    and drawing whats in front of you will make OUR jobs easier because WE'LL have a reference. if you're trying to draw a tree, we'll be able to go outside and look at a tree and see where you're going wrong and be able to help you better. if you're drawing an ALIEN tree, well... we've never really SEEN this alien world you made up. so we cant really help you with that can we?

Last edited by TheDirtSyndicate; December 18th, 2006 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    focus more on perspective

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to work on perspective and lighting both. Repeat advice to draw from OBSERVATION... when you get a good handle on making real trees convincing, then do alien trees.

There is however some very nice linework going on in those rocks in the lower corner.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree on the critiques. I also wanted to say that adding a poll is a great idea, instead of making people think on an answer, give them choices

Perspective, lighting, color, search for the andew loomis book called "succesfull drawing", youll learn most of what you need there, good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seems like you're trying to cheat yourself, "oh, well its an ALIEN tree, it doesn't have to look like a REAL tree, OH its ALIEN grass, its supposed to look like that..."
    Now THAT has me pissed. First of all, I know better than to say retarded shit like that. After all, why do I come here on my knees, begging for critique?

Second of all, I never said that in the first place. I'd NEVER say something as brainless and as stupid as that.

Fine, so I don't draw from life half as much as I should, but that gives you no reason to write me off as some self-absorbed fucker that's always trying to squirm their way out of getting better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, first off: i said "seems like"
    i didn't say thats what you were doin. i was using that as an example to illustrate the importance of drawing from life.
    besides, there are 10billion OTHER "artists" that DO do that every day, and yes, some post here with the exact same kind of post "critique me" then they get all pissed off when you tell them their trees look funny, then they say "well its supposed to look that way"
    it happens here EVERY DAY. i dont know if you're one of them or not.
    soooo, just chill bro. take the advice given and move on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh. I'm sorry, I read your post wrong, there. Sorry I got so bent out of shape about it.

I see your point. No hard feelings, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GSwirly - Ok so i have some thoughts for you on what could help. I understand that this is a created universe with completely different rules, laws, guidelines ... etc. so maybe you could include some description of this different world so us as viewers don't completely mistake every thing going on as you being unable to draw.

crits
    1. your perspective is not as strong as it should be, if you are wanting to have wonky structures then make sure we can tell that you want it to be like that. Sometimes trying to be subtle is a bad thing because it is hard to tell if one is doing something on purpose or if it is a mistake. Just be aware of that.

you have to horizon lines, this would happen even if you have made up world. Also your vps are to close together so your perspective becomes really distorted which isn't always flattering for a drawing.

2. your forms aren't reading, and i am assuming this a 3d world since you are indication shadows. try to think about what you want the form to read like. if you are having a hard time with that brake things down as simple as possible cones triangles, spheres... etc. also try to do studies of anything that is similar to what you are doing. your trees kind of look like cypress so maybe study what they look like and then go from there.

3. light source, you need to be consistent with it, and remember cast shadows.

4. architecture is really poor in this, i know it is made up please do research and studies to help yourself make more believable structures. There are a lot of designers out there that do crazy stuff you just need to look for them. look up Lebbeus Woods and Santigo i really like these two. There are tons so get research from.

other thoughts i have is you should get a book on perspective. Knowing this will help you so much when it comes to drawing, just remember it takes practice. great book on perspective link

work on composing the image and your colour choice is a bit to out of the box Crayola for me.

as for what complete2 has said he tends to be a bit on the aggressive side sometimes but he usually always has some good points. If you are going to make the tree like that at least make it look like it could really exist and have some sort of reasoning why besides saying because i wanted it that way. make the form read and watch your perspective.

hope this helps. have to go back to work! eeek

-Jesse

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you wanted to focus on the landscape, it would probably have been better to have used landscape format for the canvas, it's too squashed in horizontally. Also, there's no depth, the further away something is, the more hazier it appears, like its fading into the sky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswald
    If you wanted to focus on the landscape, it would probably have been better to have used landscape format for the canvas, it's too squashed in horizontally. Also, there's no depth, the further away something is, the more hazier it appears, like its fading into the sky.
    whoa, this post can be confusing if you dont know what he's talking about.
    here:

when hes saying "the further away things are the hazier they appear, like they're fading in to the sky", YOU'RE NOT DOING THAT. he's saying "thats the way it SHOULD be"
    griswald, you need to be more clear. good crit, but not explained fully. your post could be easily misunderstood.

see, i drink a few beers before i write my crits with the hope that if it makes sense to someone whos drunk, ANYONE should be able to understand it.
    haha, and right now, im drunk and your post was confusing.
    so there.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.