Thread: Artist Products

Thanks

Thumbs up Artist Products

Hi, my name is Dean Claydon. I am currently undertaking a Product Design A2 course. My aim is to produce a product that brings a ‘helping hand’ to all artists.

For my research I must produce a set of results based upon a survey, which I would be grateful if anyone could participate in. The survey is located underneath.

Thanks in advanced.

Dean Claydon

1. How old are you?
    Choose one only:
    *Under 10
    *10-15
    *16-20
    *21-25
    *26-30
    *31-35
    *36-40
    *41+

2. How often do you paint a week?
    Choose one only:
    *Under 1 hour
    *1-2 hours
    *2-3 hours
    *3-4 hours
    *4-5 hours
    *5-6 hours
    *6-7 hours
    *7+ hours

3. As an artist do you experience many problems when painting?

4. How could I improve these problem(s) in a new concept idea?

5. Should Art equipment become modernised, kept traditional or a mixture of both?
    Choose one only:
    *Modernised
    *Traditional
    *Mixture of both

6. Do you prefer buying artist box sets or do you prefer buying single items?
    Choose one only:
    *Box set
    *Single items
    *Mixture of both

7. Which artist medias do you use?
    Choose many:
    *Acrylic
    *Oil
    *Oil Pastels
    *Watercolours
    *Charcoal
    *Pastels
    *Poster
    *Ink
    *Other (please state)
    Please state_________________________________

8. If the selected media is presented in a tube, please specify the size you most prefer to use.
    Choose one only:
    *12ml
    *22ml
    *75ml
    *225ml
    *225ml+
    *Other (please state)
    Please state_________________________________

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Hi Dean,
    Your survey strikes me as rather unresearched and unlikely to give you good results. I will try to elaborate as I answer. . .

1. 28

2. 7 hours of oil painting. However, this is my “fun free-time” work only. The majority of my art is done in the 40 hours a week I spend at work, on a computer. The range of values you are asking for here is too small to give you useful information, considering that many of us here are artists professionally, or are studying full-time to become professionals.

3. Of course I experience problems when painting. Making art is all about problem-solving: how do I make a particular subject look good? How do I improve this composition? Etc. And my other problems are, “how can I get more free time to paint”, and “how can I motivate myself to paint when I have time but not motivation.”

4. I do not understand your question. If you are asking if I can think of a product to solve my artistic problems, then the answer is “no”. The solutions to my problems are “hard work” and “time management”, neither of which you can provide me.

5. “Choose one only”? The majority of artists here work on a computer, and are on the leading edge of technology acceptance - which you could learn easily by reading more of what is posted here. Some here do stick firmly to old materials and techniques, but more often people alternate between mediums, or combine them. I prefer the age-old brushes and materials for oil painting, and these newfangled computer things at work.

6. Box sets are usually only tempting to beginners who don’t yet know better. I will only ever admit to buying one out of desperation. I warn beginners not to buy sets if they have loose materials available to them.

7. “Artist medias”, as opposed to some other sort of medias? Are you catering to hobbyists, or to professionals and those on their way to becoming professionals? If you hope to sell to professionals, then you need to read up on our habits a bit more before putting out a survey. Anyway, my answer is “oils and digital.”

8. If you can put oil pastels, charcoal, pastels, poster paint, ink, or pixels in a tube, I’ll be impressed. As far as tube size goes, I buy white oil paint in the largest tube available, and everything else in slightly smaller sizes. I have no idea how many milliliters are in a tube of any size.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Hmm interesting Dean. Would you be willing to tell us how you're going to put all that in motion based on this survey ? Just curious

1. How old are you?
    *26-30

*Under 1 hour - nowadays anyway.

Besides finding the time to set up and actually paint, not really. It's the best moment and mindset I can think of. On the technical side, the only thing I'm scared of is ruining my plumbing by using lots and lots of acrylic paint.

I don't understand either. Sounds like there is a specific question or answer you were anticipating there.

5. Should Art equipment become modernised, kept traditional or a mixture of
    *Mixture of both
    To each their own I believe. This is more a personal answer... I started in traditional and then moved to modern tools. That said, I think it's at the artist's best advantage to know both sides and try to grow in both of them.

*Single items
    I'm too picky when it comes to medium. The ONLY time I'll buy full boxes is when buying animation pencils. Single pencils have weak lead cores from handling, dropping and general manipulation on their own.
    I know what colours I want (paint / pastel / chalks) so why have tubes lying around untouched ?

Hmmm that's mighty restrictive.
    *Acrylic
    *Oil Pastels
    *Watercolours
    *Charcoal
    *Pastels
    *Ink
    Digital
    Xerox machine
    coper
    gold
    gouache
    plaster (yes I've included plaster in some of my paintings)
    cloth
    graphite
    photos
    digital
    etc.

8. If the selected media is presented in a tube, please specify the size you most prefer to use.
    Depends which medium you use! For example, I could buy a tub of gesso vs a tiny tube of gouache vs a medium sized acrylic tube. I won't buy 2L of india ink though...

Anyhow.. Good luck

Thanks
    I don't really know how this will help you anyways...

1. How old are you?
    Choose one only:

Choose one only:
    7+ hours

poor ventation, fumes & vapors from oils paints solvents, poor lighting, not having a smaller portable light easle to take it outside, staining carpet and shirt!; getting distracted; back issues

I think oil paints should be edible.... and it should made into candy form... =)

let's see.... I can't organize my art supplies in one place. My room is mess!

You figure out my problems. :p

5. Should Art equipment become modernised, kept traditional or a mixture of both?
    Both...? I don't understand...

Choose one only:
    single

Choose many:
    *Acrylic
    *Oil
    *Charcoal
    *Pastels
    *Ink
    digital

Depend how much I have.... Normally I buy the largest size or cheapest.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Hi Dean,
    Your survey strikes me as rather unresearched and unlikely to give you good results. I will try to elaborate as I answer. . .
    I can understand what gives you that opinion but I have chosen these questions in regards to my current research.

With regards to question 2, I feel you have a valid point; I most possibly should have given it more notice.

Question 3 is do you experience problems with products. SillyLing understood the question. My aim was to make this survey as short as possible as it would hopefully attract more participators instead of a long survey. Which I have now been proven wrong as I have made it too brief that some people find difficult to understand, I need more experience in this area. I am only a 17 year old at the end of the day (all part of learning!)

Question 4 is answered below for SillyLing.

Question 5, I understand what you are saying but, this survey is focused only on art equipment, not computers.

Question 7, I selected what I felt were the 'most common' medias used by artists. I hope from this question I can see if I am correct to say is the most common (from which can be seen so far I am). This is important as my product will be made to cater various medias from which will be selected from this survey and many other interviews etc I am currently performing.

Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    Hmm interesting Dean. Would you be willing to tell us how you're going to put all that in motion based on this survey ? Just curious
    Questions 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 have been my main focus in my coursework.
    Question 3 I have personally expressed my own opinions in this area of interest, and this survey were to find out if other people tend to have same/similar or completely different problems with artist products.

Question 5 is something I have noticed during my research into existing products. These products share similar features that have keen traditional (i.e. beech is a common wood used on easels, pallets, boxes etc), so should I make my product (for example) with a new material to enhance the products ability to work better.

Question 6. I notice that there is a trend in artist's equipment to have box sets, but I tend to stay clear from box sets and buy each bit piece by piece and I wanted to see if this is the same for other people.

Question 7. I think I may have already answered this question on this forum post but I want to find ‘what is the common medias used by artists’, this will prove critical to my products function.

Question 8 is based on what I have noticed during my research, paint tubes come in many different sizes and I prefer bigger tubes as they are generally cheaper and I am less likely to run out of paint etc. I wanted to see if that’s generally the case in other people’s opinions.

Question 1 is to see if there are any common trends in age.

Question 2 is to see if the problems tended to link with the time of painting.

Question 4 is just a general opinion which I may also see trends in.

So far all my results prove I am correct and has also provided me with new information that could actually prove to improve my products design, which I am now really excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLing
    I don't really know how this will help you anyways...
    Lol, this questionnaire helps me to gather my research to get a general feel for problems commonly found in this market. What you've said is brilliant, exactly what I am after. Fact is, if everyone who replied to this post had similar problems as you experience and there were other similarities I could come to conclusions of how I could design and make a product which would solve them.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLing
    Both...? I don't understand...
    Art equipment is very traditional, for many many years art products have been designed and manufactured in very similar ways, for example beech wood is very common on easels and boxes. Another example is traditionally oil brushes have long handles where, watercolour/ink have small.

So what I'm trying to say is should my product stick to traditional ways, or should I make modern improvements, there is currently a modern influence in furniture at the moment, should I do the same for my product?

------------------------------------

Overall I must conclude by saying I hope I have answered all your questions and thank you for participating and showing an interest in this survey.
    And thanks for being very opinionated about my survey. I don't have much experience with writing surveys and your opinions will help me in the future to write a better survey as I most probably will. If I have missed anything out please do mention, I most probably have as it is 11 o'clock at night and I am extremely tired after a long day at college!

Thanks again

Dean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Oh, you're a student! :-) I assumed you were a bit closer to actually selling stuff.

Writing a good survey is an art form. Don't be surprised if it takes you many attempts to really learn how to ask a question that will get you good data. Always, always question the results that you get.

I learned recently that the whole reason us Americans are raised to believe that bacon and eggs are good breakfast foods is because of a survey sent by a marketing fellow in the egg business to doctors sometime around the time when he was developing modes of safe transportation and handling of eggs. He asked, "is it good for Americans to eat a hearty breakfast?" The question was deliberately leading; the doctors answered "yes", and the fellow used their answers to market bacon and eggs to the public as "hearty foods". Before that time the typical American breakfast was very different.

So, understand that the wording of a survey can have profound impact.

Best of luck with college!
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    1. How old are you?
    Choose one only:

Choose one only:

7 +

not really..

N/A

Choose one only:

*Traditional

Choose one only:

*Single items

Choose many:
    *Acrylic
    *Oil
    *Oil Pastels
    *Watercolours
    *Charcoal
    *Pastels

*Ink

Choose one only:

59 ml tube