Thanks

Do you really need a certification to work as a concept artist ?

_Hello everyone, Im still 20 years old and i dont know much about this job. So i have a question here for anyone that has already took part in this job, "Do you really need a certification about drawing of some famous school or all you need is just your portfolio ?"
    _Because my parents told me that if you dont have a certification, they may chose you. But when they want to promote someone, they will not chose you because you dont any certification to prove your skill, your talent.
    _So if you have any experience about this, pls let me know because im doing self-taught so i wont have any certification. Btw, my English is not so good. T_T

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    globally the answer is no you don't need anything but your portfolio.
    i dont know what the mentality is like in local, vietnamese studios tho.
    also im very aware of that i'm not the guy that can convince your parents.
    but i guess after the workshop is over you will be able to get some of the most influential persons in this industry to back that NO up.

Thanks
    no is probably the answer but unless you have the most amazing drive and self discipline art schools will certainly help you, finding as much instruction as you can will help you in so many ways. And its nice to have the bit of paper, especially as an entry level artist I can imagine it being quiet re-assuring to a potetial employer?
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    you dont any certification to prove your skill, your talent
    if you're already working for the company, this doesn't make sense to me. Not saying it isn't true (who knows how some companies opperate), but it makes no logical sense. The work you are being paid to provide is far more proof of skill and talent than a degree or certificate
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    You don't need a degree to get or keep a job as a concept artist. However, if you plan on working in another country, having a degree will make getting visas etc. much easier.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Although most times a degree's equivalence won't get to be recognised anywhere else than the country (or even sometimes province) of origin.
    Visa and subventions *are* easyer to land by the company when they hire you offshore.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Exactly, thanks for clarifying.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Parents who are not artists often have very wrong ideas about art careers. No, neither a certificate nor a degree is necessary for any art career, except perhaps for teaching art. What you need are skills. However, often the best way to get the skills that you need is through a degree program.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    if you're already working for the company, this doesn't make sense to me. Not saying it isn't true (who knows how some companies opperate), but it makes no logical sense.
    welcome to south east asia

Thanks
    If you can produce top notch work, you will get the job, certificate or not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Parents who are not artists often have very wrong ideas about art careers.
    we need to include girlfriends and boyfriends, lovers, relatives, friends, the butcher, and anyone else whom your parents will seek for expertise regarding a career they know crap about.

Thanks
    It is possible to learn to be a successful concept artist without setting foot in a classroom. However, when deciding whether to go to school for art or not, you have to consider a few factors.

1. Do you have the dedication to do the mountains of work necessary to become a skilled concept artist without some outside influence making you do it?

2. How close are you to professional level right now? How long will it take you to get there on your own?

3. Is there a possibility you will want to work in a different country if/when you do get a job?

4. What calibre of school is available to you? Would you go to Art Center or some community college?

Bottom line is if you don't have the work-ethic to learn all this stuff on your own, you need a school. The best things school offered me were time, life drawing and a degree -- I'm currently seeking a job as a concept artist in England. I probably could've got to my current skill level on my own (perhaps taken somewhat longer), but I would 100% not be eligible for that job if I hadn't gone to school.

If you're close to pro level now and can do the work on your own, I don't see much of a need for school unless you want to work in a different country.

Just have to think seriously about this stuff. Good luck.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Parents who are not artists often have very wrong ideas about art careers. No, neither a certificate nor a degree is necessary for any art career, except perhaps for teaching art. What you need are skills. However, often the best way to get the skills that you need is through a degree program.
    Right on the button, especially the part about teaching art.