Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

thread of life, the universe and everything else (Atheists are still stupid >:D)

Original Titel:Atheists are stupid (*Lights the match*)...*Unzipps, and puts it out*

Friggen idiots.

http://atheistdelusion.cf.huffingtonpost.com/
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 18th, 2006 at 03:50 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    hahaha

Thanks
    Uhmmm, do you have to be an a'hole to be Christian?

They have a picture of Stephen Hawkins and call him a scientist 'freak' that doesn't believe in God?
    http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...w/hawking.html
    I don't know...I think he believes in God.

Science and reason has no room in our lives?

This is sarcasm ain't it? This can't be real.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Of course it isn't.

Thanks
    Deffinetly not sarcasm. I'm 100% concentrated honesty. Responses to the movie...http://deludedmailbag.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

Thanks
    That video looks rather tongue-in-cheek to me.

These, on the other hand...
    thread of life, the universe and everything else (Atheists are still stupid >:D)

Thanks
    To the guy who started the thread.

I don't know what faith you claim to be a member of, I didn't bother to look at your links. However you are not doing your faith any credit by acting like this.

I have to ask, what is the purpose of calling anyone stupid? If you are trying to change someone's views you are going about it the wrong way. Words like these only serve to inflame and make others angry. If you think that you are so much better than others, why don't you start acting like it?

Words are empty, lead by example.

This thread won't be open long, because it has no purpose, all you are doing is trying to incite argument.

This is an art forum, if you want to discuss religion, I suggest you find another forum.

Thanks
    *sigh* Isn't religious stuff generally looked down upon in the Lounge?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    That whooshing sound you hear is this thread going over the heads of half it's posters.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    no kidding

I don't know what faith you claim to be a member of, I didn't bother to look at your links. However you are not doing your faith any credit by acting like this.
    Just click the damn link Q...

Thanks
    "Destroy the ark. Kill them"

hahahaha.

no wait. this isn't funny at all. wow.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Lol @ that comic.

I agree that Atheists are stupid.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    That whooshing sound you hear is this thread going over the heads of half it's posters.
    hahaha that made my night.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    hahaha, "Checkmate!"

yeah guys, hit the link before getting pissed (or hit the link so you can get pissed, whichever)
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Haha no joke... Calm down guys... it's going to be okay. All the dinosaurs have drownd, god hates cold blooded creatures after all.
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Although I want to remain nuetral on the issue of God, this is perhaps my favorite argument for the non-existence of God, from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2006/11/puff.html

There is an audio clip on there as well.

2b BOY: I'm not gonna call you stupid, just try to play nice around here.
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    You did just call me stupid by stating you were not. So how am i not suppose to think you didn't imply that? You sly sly dog.
    Besides that I found it funny. Lighten up. I knew it was gonna offend some self rightous ass on either side of the issue. Because i don't take things so seriously does not mean I am stupid. I don't have "thoughtful" conversations on a forum about religion and philsophy all that often, because people just bicker and argue and moan and whine. Plus I'm bored. Don't let what i do offend you. I don't mean any of it personally, it's just a joke.

Anyway i don't know if you implied anything or not. I'm probably just paranoid.

Edit:: Let me add as well, that this is just a joke thread. There are so many posts on the lounge about religion, global warming, evolution intelligent design, politics. All that is good and fine, but what's funny is they always seem to turn into flame wars (I probably don't help). But, I do try get involved in one every once and a while. Most of the times when i post though I'm being a cheeky bastard because people seem to be getting to serious. I just try to be a neutralizer. I would like people to lighten up a bit. And, to this I say....Come ooooooonnnnnn. eh. Come oooooooonnnnn. Group hug.
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 17th, 2006 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks
    Personally, I think religion is a waste of time for intelligent people. And I think as well about atheists that don't seem to know what atheism actually means (and even those that do). My opinion is the only ideal that can't be wrong is agnosticism. Because it is a mere ideal that one can not claim to know that which is unknown, I can safely believe in nothing but the fact that I may never know if there is or is not a God. The question is as silly as trying to find evidence of a tooth fairy.

I'm here on Earth, society has insured that a quarter of my life is wasted before I can actually do anything with it, and there is a lot for me to do in order to meet my life expectations and live comfortably. Anything else is just philosophy, not that I don't enjoy a healthy debate or philosophical conversation. No matter my efforts, I will one day die and all I can hope is that something I touched or created remains for many more years. When I die the answers may come, but until then I see no reason why I should spend my life searching for an answer that does not wish to be found.

Thanks
    Pseudo, your post was great. I am agnostic, and the way you put it, I could never have done so well.

Thanks
    Why do people have to rag on Christians so much?

Thanks
    It's not so much they're "rag"ing on Christians but a comedic stereotype.
    Put it this way, it's like poking fun at Australians through imitations of crocodile dundee.
    WE DO NOT WRESTLE CROCODILES DAMN IT!

Thanks
    Ugh I'm treating like this a chat room. Anyway, Christians are just the whipping boy these days for people. Probably because it's one of the largest religions in the world, and there are many radicals and extremists that annoy a lot of people. The only thing I'm truly against is extremism, and self rightousness. (Edit!!!::WITH ANY RELIGION OR IDEAL!)
    And, many of the western religions have been perverted by to much interpretation, and changes for the times that it ruined the vision of what religion is suppose to stand for and do. Create morals, inspiration, and hope for people. But, these days it's agendas, goals, and manipulation. Same can be said for buddhism and hinduism. It's a rough ride for any religion and ideal these days. Science brings along many studies people need to take into consideration, but look at science as being the answer to things. Religion has plenty of room with these discoveries, it's just rituals and out of date stories that are being disproven, not the main message. Some people just get carried away on either side. Science cant DISPROVE God, only the concept. The concept of God is probably completely different than what many truly believe. People who think of God think of the Christian stereotypical point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by sciboy
    It's not so much they're "rag"ing on Christians but a comedic stereotype.
    Put it this way, it's like poking fun at Australians through imitations of crocodile dundee.
    WE DO NOT WRESTLE CROCODILES DAMN IT!
    Yes you do. You also fish with dynamite, and you carry around large knives. Oh yeah and you all have koalas and kangaroos as pets. Say "G'day mate. Let's put another shrimp on the barbe'.". Please....
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 17th, 2006 at 04:41 AM.

Thanks
    many radicals and extremists that annoy a lot of people
    Because those Islamic Extremists certainly don't annoy people at all!!!

IMO it's beacuse it is the majority religion in America. It's just because of zealots from all religions, they are only allowed to mock the majority, otherwise it's "politically incorrect". Kind of like how white people can't say the N word, but Black people can call us Crackers, whitey, Honkeys, etc.- Just because white people are the majority, it makes them a target because they can't retalliate.

Thanks
    haha awesome video.

Thanks
    Because those Islamic Extremists certainly don't annoy people at all!!!
    Any extremist. Islam including. Obviously. I should've probably written my post better, I did what I could.
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 17th, 2006 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thought some of you might find this interesting.

The Cosmological argument:
    Premise 1. Whatever begins to exist must have a cause.
    Premise 2. The Universe began to exist.
    Conclusion: Therefore the Universe has a cause, and God exists.1
    Whatever begins to exist must have a cause. Most of us have no problem accepting this principle. We assume its truth in virtually every aspect in our daily lives. Our experience always confirms it and never denies it. But surprisingly philosophers have been unable to prove its veracity.
    Nevertheless, it has always been a fundamental first principle of philosophy and science that "from nothing, nothing comes", "being cannot come from non-being". Even the great skeptic David Hume, who argued that we could not prove the causal principle through ordinary means, still believed it to be true and thought a denial of it was absurd, "I never asserted so absurd a proposition that anything might arise without a cause."2
    Surely it is more reasonable to hold to this premise than to believe that things pop into existence out of nothing and by nothing. Can we reasonably disagree with the atheist Kai Neilson when he writes, "Suppose you suddenly hear a loud bang and you ask me, 'What made that bang?' and I reply 'Nothing, it just happened.' You would not accept that - in fact you would find my reply quite unintelligible."3
    Scientific Confirmation
    Regarding premise number two, we have both scientific confirmation and logical argument for the Universe having a beginning. According to the standard Big Bang expansion model, space, time, matter and energy all came into existence simultaneously around 12-15 Billion years ago. The beginning point is often called a singularity, the boundary of space and time, or a mathematical point, where our expanding universe was shrunk down to nothing at all. Significantly, it was not the result of prior natural, physical processes. The atheist philosopher, Quentin Smith, acknowledges, "It belongs analytically to the concept of the cosmological singularity that it is not the effect of prior physical events. The definition of a singularity...entails that it is impossible to extend the space-time manifold beyond the singularity. ...This rules out the idea that the singularity is an effect of some prior natural process."4
    Furthermore, according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, given enough time, the universe will eventually reach a state of equilibrium, a cold, dark, dead, virtually motionless universe. Clearly, if the universe is beginningless, then there has been an infinite length of time preceding this present moment. But obviously, there is still plenty of heat, light and movement left in the universe. Thus the past must be finite. The universe had a beginning.
    Infinite Past Impossible
    “The infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought. The role that remains for the infinite is solely that of an idea. – David Hilbert”
    The third and strongest piece of support for the beginning of the universe comes from the impossibility of an infinite past. This is because an actual infinite number of anything cannot exist in the real world. But to have a universe with no beginning you would have to have an actual infinite number of past events. We might think that since we do use the concept of infinity in mathematics there would be no problem here.
    But mathematicians who work with the concept of actual infinity, do so by adopting some arbitrary rules, like "the whole is not always greater than the part", and "subtraction and division are not allowed", to avoid the absurdities and contradictions that come with an actual infinite number of anything. And these rules don't apply to the real world. Actual infinity only works in the abstract realm, and only with some special rules.
    As David Hilbert, one of this century's greatest mathematicians has written, "The infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought. The role that remains for the infinite...is solely that of an idea..."5
    An Absurd Library
    To see the absurdity and contradictions of an actual infinite number of things in the real world imagine or hypothesize your campus library having an infinite number of black books and an infinite number of green books, alternating colors on the shelves and numbered consecutively on the spines.
    Does it make any sense to say that there are as many black books as there are black plus green books together? But that is what you would have to say if you want to claim the infinite is possible in the real world.
    Suppose you withdrew all the green books. How many books are there left in the library? There would still be an infinite number of books in the library even though we just withdrew an infinite number and found a way to get them home! Suppose you withdrew the books numbered 4,5,6...and so on. Now how many books are left? THREE! Something surely is wrong here! One time we subtract an infinite number of books and we're left with an infinite number; the next time we subtract an infinite number and we're left with three - a clear logical contradiction. Since our hypothesis leads to a contradiction, the hypothesis must be false - a library with an actual infinite number of books cannot exist.
    While we can avoid these contradictions in the mathematical realm by making up rules like you can't subtract or divide when using infinity, we cannot in the real world prevent people from taking books out of libraries.
    Therefore, since a beginningless past would be an actual infinite number of things (events) and since an actual infinite number of things cannot exist in the real world, it follows logically that the past is not infinite. The universe had a beginning.
    Furthermore, an infinite past is impossible because adding one member after another cannot form an actual infinite. It's like counting to infinity - you just never get there. Just like we can never finish counting to infinity, we can never begin to count down from a negative infinity. There is no first term. As the great skeptical philosopher David Hume admitted, "An infinite number of real parts of time passing in succession...appears so evident a contradiction that no man whose judgment is not corrupted... would ever be able to admit of it."6
    Thus the Big Bang Theory, the Second Law of Thermodynamics and the impossibility of an infinite past all support the universe having a beginning.
    Since whatever begins to exist must have a cause, it follows logically that the universe has a cause. And since it cannot be the result of some prior natural process, the cause of the universe must be beyond nature.
    Most Common Objection
    "What caused God"
    The question "What caused X?" only makes sense if there was some indication that "X" had a beginning. There is nothing that indicates that the cause of the Big Bang had a beginning. In fact since time did not exist beyond the Big Bang, the cause of the Big Bang must have existed timelessly. Thus it could have no beginning, and hence no cause. We may want to say this about the universe, but we can't, since as we have seen, the evidence is the universe had a beginning.
    Astrophysicists have been discovering that the Big Bang appears to have been incredibly fine-tuned. Stephen Hawking describes the situation,
    "...the universe and the laws of physics seem to have been specifically designed for us. If any one of about 40 physical qualities had more than slightly different values, life as we know it could not exist: Either atoms would not be stable, or they wouldn't combine into molecules, or the stars wouldn't form the heavier elements, or the universe would collapse before life could develop, and so on..."7

The numerical values of the different natural forces like gravity, electromagnetism, subatomic forces, charges of electrons, etc. "just happened" to fall into an extremely narrow range that is conducive for life to exist. Minute changes in any one of these forces would have destroyed the possibility for life and in most cases destroyed the universe itself.
    Consider these examples from among dozens:
    1. The Proton/Electron Mass Ratio is 1836 to 1.
    - Had it been slightly different, there would be no chemistry.
    2. Yet the electrical charge of the proton and the electron are exactly equal numerically.
    - Had they been fractionally different, hydrogen atoms would repel one another, and there would be no galaxies.
    3. If the strong force (the force that binds protons and neutrons in the nucleus) was just
    - 2% less, it would have destroyed all nuclei essential to life
    - 2% more, it would have prevented the formation of protons and therefore matter
    4. If the expansion rate of the universe was
    -less by one part in a million million, the universe would have collapsed very early
    -greater by one part in a million, galaxies, stars and planets would never have formed.
    Chance or Design
    If the Big Bang was merely a chance happening it is virtually impossible that the values of all of these 40-50 forces would have been exactly right to ensure the survival of the universe and to allow life. Given the potentially infinite number of other values these forces could have taken, it is much more likely that they would have fallen outside the very narrow range that is conducive to life. As John Leslie, the philosopher of science has put it, "Life prohibiting universes are much more probable than life permitting universes." This is evidence of an intelligent designer behind the Big Bang who ensured that it happened in such a way that the universe could support life.
    No wonder scientists like Dr. Paul Davies, internationally known author and professor of Theoretical Physics, has said this finding represents "the most compelling evidence for an element of cosmic design.";8 and Dr. Robert Jastrow, Founder of NASA's Institute of Space Studies, has called this "the most theistic result ever to come out of science."9
    Most Common Objection
    "It is not surprising that we observe the initial conditions of the universe to be conducive to life because those are obviously the only conditions that could precede our existence."
    This is only the case if one assumes beforehand that our existence itself is not surprising. But our argument is that, given the potentially infinite number of non-life values the forces could have taken, it is extremely surprising that the entire scenario has taken place, i.e., the right initial conditions and the existence of observers. If one assumes that the second part is not surprising, then of course it follows that the first part is also not surprising. But that clearly begs the question.
    Summary and Conclusion
    Just like two cords wound together become a strong rope, so too the cumulative effect of these two arguments provide us with a powerful case for the existence of God.
    Taken together these two arguments tell us that the cause and designer of the universe is an intelligent, immaterial, powerful, changeless being that existed in a timeless, eternal state beyond the beginning of the universe. This, I suggest, is close enough to the traditional Judeo-Christian concept of God that we can justifiably conclude that indeed, God does exist.

Thanks
    people who say there is life after death and people who say there doesnt exist life after death are both idiots.

Theres no way of telling.

Thanks
    This is also an interesting look see. Thanks for your post Dimension.

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

Click the numbers on the right to see the flash aniamtion.

There could be infinit universes/dimensions, and quantum physics is always supplying interesting theories. Heh, the number 0 is a very amazing thing.
    We (everything) especially organic, is built up of smaller and smaller things. The human body consists of cells, living organims, which actually make us up as a being in itself. We look further and further till we get to an atomic level. Energy. Quarks, I think is the smallest thing we can witness so far. We are nothing and we are everything, and we have to make up something just like the cells make us up. So, I'm just saying if we are a part of something as small as we may be, and as smart as we make think we are, that could be a way of defining "god" as a whole. Not a figure that is concsious of us, and not one that casts any judgement. We live in a chaos of laws, which forms a whole. Earth is nothing special, but it isnt insignificant. That's what i've gathered so far, just my idea of a possibility. This is called pantheism i think.
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 17th, 2006 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks
    "Theres no way of telling"

That's why it's called beleif.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast