Thanks

Question Need some help deciding on a new monitor

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a bit of help.

I know a lot about computers but my expertise is severely lacking when it comes to displays. I'm trying to make a choice on what to get with a budget around $500. My main thing is illustration and fine art but I'll be getting into digital artwork with the purchase of a new monitor (since my current one is dying very badly) and tablet.

Anyhow, there are just too many choices and I'm very limited when it comes to locations nearby to buy things so I'll need some recommendations on online stores as well. I'm just hoping to find something that will give me accurate color for professional printing, it doesn't need to be the end-all-be-all but it should be good for someone doing artwork. I also tend to be somewhat of a gamer so I don't know if these considerations will conflict or not. In any case, I'd appreciate any help that can be given.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    NewEgg.com -- ViewSonic 21.3" LCD - last I checked, $600.

We have two, they are /lovely/. I highly recommend it!
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Your best bet for all 'round visual accuracy is still a good CRT.

Thanks
    I was thinking about the CRT route but I've got a friend who's really giving me crap about it. He swears up and down that all the articles about CRTs vs. LCDs are too old to matter and that a $500 CRT won't be as good as an LCD.

I don't really agree completely because I wouldn't think an LCD could get infinite blacks and color ranges, but if I got a CRT I wouldn't know what to look for to make sure it wasn't a lame one. I mean, I see $200 ones and $500 ones and it's hard to tell by anything but price. I want at least a 1600x resolution and good color/contrast but beyond that I'm not sure what to look for.

Should I aim for a 20" or more? Where can I even find CRTs? They seem as phased out as the VCR now... even though they're still supposed to be superior to LCDs for graphics and gaming (unless I went over a grand for those uber LCDs, which I've heard still aren't optimal.

Thanks
    I haven't actually been keeping up with tech news, but the last time I checked, some upper range LCD were comparable to CRTs.
    I'd imagine there are very high quality LCDs now, it just depends if you're willing to put in the cash.

With CRTs, get a flatscreen. Pay attention to optimal resolutions and refresh rates. You should be looking for something with <=80hz, at whatever resolution you want to use.

Thanks
    haha i was in your shoes not long ago and pity you.
    in the end i went for an EIZO s1910. that was propably the smartest thing to do since in terms of image quality there is nothing better unlike it's those &#252;ber 1500+$ ldcs that come with calibrators and stuff.
    the problem is that in terms of colors and stuff my ooooold iiyama crt is still much better. also for gaming, 8ms with overdrive is to slow. anything that moves gets blurry. those reactiontest programs have shown that your results with a crt will usually be like 50 ms faster. so it's no wonder that 98% of all top fps players use crts.
    dunno, in several regards lcds are much better that crt but i'm also amazed by how the industry like completely abandoned crts cuz it's totally not the case that they are superfluous already...

Thanks
    ^ 8ms is quite fast. I have a 12ms Samsung LCD and I get no blur with anything.

Thanks
    Well, I went ahead and purchased the Samsung SyncMaster 1100DF 21"

I still might have a chance to cancel if anyone thinks I made a poor choice. The pitch (.2) and resolution seem awesome though 2048x1536

edit: I didn't buy it from here (I got almost a steal of a deal for 320 with it all said and done) but this site has better details
    Last edited by Pseudomantia; December 18th, 2006 at 08:31 PM.