Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

How do you get yourself into 'the zone'?

How do you get yourself into that really creative zone? I tend to have problems with this and I was just wondering what everyone else does so maybe I can try it out too.
    I have concentration and procrastination problems in general anyway, but when I get myself in the zone and locked in on the art I'm creating I can focus for hours and hours and hours without moving or eating or getting up to stretch or anything. I guess that's getting myself using the right side of my brain, right?
    But I have one heck of a time getting myself to that point. If I sit down and push through when I'm not in the creative mood already, I can get work but it's usually not as good and I can't get that really intense focus. Plus when I'm not quite as focused I don't get as much done in the same time.

Is there any way to help me get into that zone?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i think the fact that you have creative bursts of intense creativity followed by dry spells is natural. However, as this is a business, deadlines and such don't allow for dry spells. One thing i found helps is drawing for at least 2 hours a day at a bare minimum, 3 or 4 on average. if i do this, i find that even during dry spells i can quickly call on a vocabulary of ideas that can get me inspired enough to really get excited about a piece... then its easy.

kinda a boring answer but there you go....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 254 Posts
    learn the simple fact that you do not have to be creative to create and you'll never need to have to find a "zone". Whatever your current subject matter fixation is, theres a ton more in the world that you could be drawing for research and experience.

Thanks
    Hmm, those are really good tips, I'll snag some of those. XD

I'm like that too (procrastinator to the max!) but something that really helps me is when there's other people around drawing the exact same thing (like in art jams), that tends to inspire me greatly. Like someone will be like "Let's all draw the Flash" or whatever and I love comparing the differences at the end. Sometimes having art assignments inspire me as well, like in class when the teacher gave us this one assignment to draw a page of animals and on the other side draw cartoons of that animal, I went nuts with it and it really opened up a slew of creativity that I hadn't had before or at least in awhile. Hope that helps! ^__^

Thanks
    If I've got a creative block, I find the best way to combat it is to smash it down. Put on some headphones and pull up open canvas or photoshop and just put that stylus to the tablet. I might have absolutely no idea what I'm going to draw but after enough visual wandering I always, always come up with something that I'd have never thought of before. Another approach is using a big awkward brush and making "random" marks until some form starts to grab you and then run with whatever you see.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jtho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For me it means getting a good cup of coffee - something strong.... like a cappucino or a espresso. Once the caffeine starts to alter my brains chemicals then I'm pretty much good to go.

The downside is... I need to make it back to the studio before I start checkin' out the honey's on the street... if I get women on the brain... I get even less done than if I've had no caffeine to fuel my creative guns.

So...

1) Good coffee

2) Go straight to studio... do not get sidetracked by the booty

3) Get to work

mambo

Thanks

Smile

All of those above ideas are wonderful. I like Mike's input a lot specifically.

Just remember, the best way to get started is to get started. And sitting around waiting for inspiration in your pajama's doesn't get much work done.

However -- to add on to what Mike C said, when you put up those 50 drawings or concepts you like... if you need a specific idea.... you take those drawings, look at them in depth, maybe copy a part of each one that you like, just saturate your mind with them... if you don't get immediate ideas, keep feeding your mind the work you like... then... go on a walk, take a shower and forget about it. You'll get a winning idea to pop in your head within 2 hours or so (maybe even as little as 5 minutes) after you stop thinking about it.

And yes, do drink coffee. That caffine will give you a heightened state of mind...the caffine in soda with all of its sugar, probably won't as much.

On a side note, look at what caffine does to spiders:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...spiderwebs.jpg

How do you get yourself into 'the zone'?

Thanks
    i think those postings above cover it all. personally, I like to make some abstract shapes in PS with a custom brush and then bust open my sketchpad once the juices start to flow.

Boston Splinter Cell 36
    Jushra | Purb36 | PartialArtist | Vorp | Kongni

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    practice gets me back into the zone, I had too many lows earlier. But I found myself a way , I start drawing ,anything. if not that I start doing anatomy of perspective studies. and I also have a huge CA folder and a bigger art folder to keep me inspired in my comp, I am not allowed to have posters or art on my wall . right now I am so kicked by REAUs artwork.his women are beautiful and I am having a great time drawing women too. People have their own ways to cope with a dry spell. Try different methods and see what works best for you.

Thanks
    Get plenty of sleep...you will wake up fully recharged and your brain will be at its full creativity potentiality.

Thanks
    if you have a mental block just lay down some random strokes and build up your drawing around that, i think it helps if you have some music going too.
    if you have a specific idea or assignment, do your work first thing in the morning, is you're not a morning person it will be horrible at first but you get into it. theres been so many days where i just put off doing stuff until it's too late and the day is over

Thanks
    I agree with the general conceus - just draw something even if it felt stupid and worthless. One could conclude that drawing is never a waste of time, since every new sketch, drawing, painting ( et cetera )improves your skills.

I get inspiration from staring at the works of artists who are unique, and technically way beyond me. Good instrumental music usually helps as well, and a good conversation with a group of friends might spur a whirlwind of ideas later on. It all depends on the day, really.

Thanks
    I'm way too logical in my thinking, so it is relatively hard for me to get into "the zone" but there's a little trick that works (sometimes more, sometimes less) for me:

I put on some music, some game soundtrack from http://ocremix.org/info/Albums e.g., but everything epic and orchestral works, take some lineart or a picture, turn it upside down and copy it.
    By turning it upside down you no longer see what it actually is in the picture, only the shapes and lines it is made of.

It's a little exercise from Betty Edwards - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain that helps to shut up the logical left, and activate the more artistic, right side of the brain.

After doing this for a little while I just sit back, close my Eyes and let my mind wander.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8