Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Ever think you're better than you are?

I was recently looking back at some of my old work, and i remember thinking ages ago that at that time it was pretty good, but now I realize it wasn't, even for my age. Then I started to think maybe we think that the work we produce today is actually better than it is, and its only untill some time has past you see the truth.

Anyone eles feel this way? Im starting to think that I might be going down a path that I beleive I can get too, but in reality I have no chance.
    Respect is the ultimate currency.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    this is pretty normal
    it's your own brain blocking of the negative thoughts a bit to avoid depression (some kind of build in frustration firewall ^^)

esp children behave like that, they almost never are unsatisfied with their results
    it protects them, and us but not so much like back then
    my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    When i was in my early teens i thought i was pritty awesome, lots of self confidence. Then when i was around 18 i looked on my older stuff and i hated it, hated it so much i got really depressed. And still today im to hard on my self, i rarely get shit done.

Thanks
    Thanks Mike, really. I do find myself constantly doing what you mentioned, comparing myself with others, almost competing with others heading in the direction I want to go. This is gunna be a hard habit to break, I can just tell.

I just finished watching the Marko dvd just now, and that kinda intertwines with what you were saying about setting goals, being positive, saying "I can make it". I should stop trying to be the "best" and just be the best that I can, work the best I can, and achieve the best I can. ugh, i've got butterfly stomach.... wierd.

Thanks again guys.
    Respect is the ultimate currency.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I will never be as good as I think I am.

I will never be as good as I want to be.

I will definitely never be as good as others think I am.

I don't care. All that matters is that the thing I did today is better than the thing I did yesterday. Which is stupid, because it isn't as good as what I'm going to do tomorrow.

To the good side, I know that I will never be as bad as others think I am...they're idiots with no fuckin' taste...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Life philosophy: "I can already do godlike work, it's just doubt, frustration and reality that is stopping me from making it. My ego said so."

hehe.

Thanks
    Yeah, I used to do the same thing till I saw one of Bobby Chiu's painting vids where he said to not compare yourself to other artists, the best person to compare to is yourself. linky if you're interested.

Thanks
    i wanted to post those as well, damn! ;-) Everybody has to watch and LISTEN... awesome vids/audio. I think the audio is way more helpful to me than the painting
    My Sketchbook

My current areas of interest: Linework, Composition, Visual Library

Thanks
    Thats why I trash all my drawings, save for those who go in my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Never felt that, the best I ever thought about a work of mine was "it's semi-decent" or "not all bad"...the fact that there is some improvement after all keeps me going.

Thanks
    Depends on the amount of ass-pattery =]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goog
    Yeah, I used to do the same thing till I saw one of Bobby Chiu's painting vids where he said to not compare yourself to other artists, the best person to compare to is yourself. linky if you're interested.
    haha that is a great video. Funny as hell too "If i'm living in a place where the young people are afraid of the old people stealing your clothes, that's getting pretty ghetto." never thought I would hear those words in a digital drawing video.

and on topic, I have this feeling somewhat, I never feel it at the time though. I never feel "satisfied" with my work, there will just be some things that I draw that I feel better about, but usually by the next day, I think it's the biggest peice of crap ever. Bobby chiu is on point when saying never be satisfied. I think you should always be your biggest critic.

Thanks
    I think I should be alot better than I currently am, so I see all my work as crap which leads me to not do too much at all.
    My problem being that I do compare myself too much to others and think about what others will think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard, and they're like, "you wanna trade cards?" "damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my Charizard."
    Ahahahahahahaha! Omg that's so good! XD

I think it's safe to say that all artists thought their beginning works were good, if not fantastic.
    As we get older and learn more about art we gain a better sense of judgment for the subject, so that even if you put your blood and sweat into a piece of art, you can still look at it in the end and think it's crap (although that is very depressing when it happens).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanconato
    Im starting to think that I might be going down a path that I beleive I can get too, but in reality I have no chance.
    What is reality? Perhaps it is nothing more than what you perceive to be reality. Therefore, perhaps reality is nothing more than what you "think" it is.

The key here is thought, and that leads to focus. My wife is a Pediatric ICU Heart Nurse. She tells me of children that don't know they are supposed to suffer yet physically they are. They have a level of pain that physically should be overbearing on the body yet they carry on with a smile and act as though its no big deal. Meanwhile, some people have a headache and they gripe and moan as though they are dying. What is the reality of it all? Is the pain truly that bad or is it only perceived to be as bad as what your mind tells you. Remember, if you are supposed to feel something physically (and therefore in reality) your mind will have to make up stories and justify it otherwise you might go insane.

I can ramble endlessly about mind over matter, people that live in freezing weather yet convince themselves that they are warm and the concept of putting your mind somewhere else to ignore pain.

All I know is:
    There are soldiers in Iraq that will smile.
    There are people in Disneyland that will be frowning.
    There are people that think the glass is half full.
    There are people that think the glass is half empty.
    There are people that want to draw even when they know they are gonna suck.
    There are people that will only draw when they know it will be good.

If your mind cannot truly tell whether something you imagine is real or not, then why not imagine the best possible outcome?

I am not going to say to a person that just had their leg cut off with a steak knife "Dude, its all in your mind - block out the pain" but in the instance of what you mentioned...

You are already generating an entire mindset based upon a reality that hasn't happened yet.

If you focus on what you don't have and what you never will have then what do you think your physical body will be drawn to?

On the contrary, if you focus on pretending that the path you dream of going down is already happening then your body can do nothing else but find a way to give you evidence of that. When you focus on the best possible outcome (the dream, the goal, etc.) then you will physically start to manifest things to justify what your mind is telling you.

Each day that you wake up pretending to live in this amazing world you will be looking around for all of these little opportunities to prove to you that this world exists. At some point, you begin acting on these opportunities. You have now bridged the gap between mind and body. Now that your body is on the same page you will someday schedule it to happen.

Once you schedule it, it happens. Once it happens, then and only then does it become REALITY.

But I can't.
    But I shouldn't.
    I have to wait.
    The time isn't right.
    It is not for me.
    I am afraid.
    Maybe I'm not good enough.
    I don't have enough money.
    I am too old.
    It's to late.
    What if I fail?

Those are all things you say to avoid PAIN. It is human nature to avoid pain. Fuck all that. Fear is the mechanism that helps you avoid pain. The interesting thing is that while it helps you avoid pain now, you never realize that it kills you...It just kills you much later in life.

I've rambled enough. Take it as you will but good luck in it all.

Thanks
    That is possbily some of the best advice about life I've read anywhere on a forum recently. Excellent words Creatix.
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    You can be way to into doing something to notice the flaws that are blatantly obvious to those around you.

Some people's self belief shelters them far too much from the realities of creating art, it's not necessarily the best piece of work in the world just because it was created by you.

Constantly re-evaluate your own work and don't always believe everything you hear from other people, especially family members, they have a tendancy to either put you down or build you up just as a matter of course.

some people are just way too far up their own arses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hrb2H9p3k

p.s. I know my stuff is just a mildly polished turd, which I suppose is better than the plain ordinary turd it used to be.
    Last edited by young paddy1; December 22nd, 2006 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    I most often think I'd be better than I am
    I couldn't explain why else I boast and brag that much with my shit

between:
    You ever have those moments when you're like, DUDe you're a genious!!! (specially on completion of a paint)
    and then, the longer you stare at it the more you would go like; geez that sucks, go shoot yourself....
    ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blacky
    I most often think I'd be better than I am
    I couldn't explain why else I boast and brag that much with my shit

between:
    You ever have those moments when you're like, DUDe you're a genious!!! (specially on completion of a paint)
    and then, the longer you stare at it the more you would go like; geez that sucks, go shoot yourself....
    ?
    yeah that always happens, especially if you go browsing here afterwards..

Thanks
    whazzuh huh really?

Thanks
    i think its good motivation to compare yourself to others. thats like 50% of my motivation is trying to get better than the others around me. and it works.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by young paddy1
    some people are just way too far up their own arses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hrb2H9p3k

Oh my god. That's got to be the most annoying promotion video ever, i wanted to punch the creator in the face. " When people view my digital paintings for the first time it's hard for them to understand that they were created on a computer. Instead of painting with oils, I use digitally infused light." Indeed.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I sooOOOOOOOooooooo wanna sit on this guys chest and slowly choke him to death "...from beginning to end."
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by young paddy1
    Who the fuck is that dude? His ego is a little big for someone who smudges photos. And calling himself the "rembrandt of the digital age" might be a little over the top Makes me wanna punch him in face, seriously.

Thanks
    What is "Digitally infused light"? Does he mean "Dodge and burn?"

And actually "Trend Hunter" Magazine calls him that- It is amazing that when someone peddles to them, they listen- they don't go out and look for themselves, for SURELY if they type in "Digital Artist" in google, they would eventually find people like Mullins-

And yet, after about 12 pages of "Digital Artist", on Google, I haven't seen David cock's webpage.

Actually, I searched for his name and found his site.

It is that Youtube video, and a biography with an email address. It is amazing a digital artist won't put up his work on the nets.

But really, what is "Digitally infused light"?

Thanks
    I never think I'm better than I am anymore. I used to challenge others in my classes while in HS to draw against or with me, just to see where I'm at. I now just work until I feel I am satisfied with what I have produced thus far. I always find something wrong with my drawings...ALWAYS! I am never quite satisfied, let me take that back. I am always looking at the future, seeing where Marko, Mike, Chuck, Mate, Dave Olsen, etc are and then strive to hit that mark until I am able to pass them (which I doubt will happen in this lifetime, since they rock out hardcore!), but it's a goal I want to reach before I turn ashes to dust.

I just say sketch and sketch and sketch. You'll never be satisfied with whatever you create and will only hurt yourself in the end. And don't mentally surpass your real/true talents (READ: Don't think you're better than you are) because someone may come along and criticize too harshly and crush your dreams.

Thanks
    Ohhh shit, you should have seen my face at the Montreal workshop... I was amazed at how much I suck... hahah

and my girlfriend asked me to compare myself to the others there ... I laughed out loud and told her the amount of talent I seen there was like a punch in the face... nothing motivated me more =)
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    as long as you don't turn to that "rembrandt of the Digital Age" it's ok! The worst thing you can do to yourself is also go overboard and say shit like "I'm the rembrandt of the digital age"..... what an idiot! Oh god..that damn video...and his blog profile...AARGH!!!!!! I want to stop him from breeding more idiots! >.<

....in any case, like it has been said above...I don't like to compare myself to anyone, but I do like to compare my technique to others.
    I as an "artist" have my own personal vision that I don't compare against anyone..it's silly. Now technique is different, because I see technique as my tools to make my vision... and if everyone has super special shiney tools and get the job done better, why shouldn't I work harder to get those special tools? I hope that's not an akward analogy...anyway it keeps me motivated to practice further. I set myself small goals to reach, and keep at it... It works for me!
    ¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Who pretended they were the "rembrandt of the Digital Age" ??

wow, show me links =)

I know one who was pretending to be the new giger ( he was featured in the thread about worst of ca... http://www.ebsqart.com/Artists/cmd_6356_profile.htm )
    ohhh... took him FOUR post to get banned, I still can't believe it

a quote from his website
    I HAVE SURPASSED Being referred to as the "H.R Giger of digital". I am now myself. I follow no one or emulate them.
    Last edited by Simon.Rain; December 23rd, 2006 at 06:14 AM.
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Ever think you're better than you are?
    Yep, probably, but I look at people that are better then me to get myself grounded. I just don't like it when people that are better then me start thinking that too......but then again, they don't like it when I think that way.

It's a vicious circle.

Artists in general seem to depend on their egos to push themselves forward. It seems like their force of will is what perpels them?....maybe?

I think if you treat art like Math or a Language and be aware that you're not using your vowels corrrectly or that 2 + 2 does not equal Pi, then I guess that grounds you. Basically, being aware that there are rules to art, or at the least become aware.

Treat art objectively. Math and Language are objective. You're either right or you're wrong.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.