Sculptor interested in learning to draw
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sculptor interested in learning to draw

I am a sculptor and have drawn in the past, many years ago. But I don't have much confidence working in 2D. Never really did. But I would like to learn to at least draw concepts drawings and sketches to get down my ideas on paper before sculpting them. It's not necessary that I need to know how to draw, but for me it's a personal thing. I like to draw and have produced some really nice drawings in the past, but it's never come easy for me.

One of my questions is do you think you can learn by copying the concept drawings of others? That in addition to studying anatomy and figure/head drawing as well. Because when I copy a photograph then I must create all the shades and values on my own and sometimes I have a difficult time "seeing" them. If in the beginning I copy others' drawings, maybe I will learn something from it. Can't hurt, right?

Frankly I don't know where to begin. Do most of you begin by blocking out the figure or head of your characters? For example, when I sculpt, I build up the basic form at first. Then I begin roughing out features, digging out eye sockets. Little by little the forms begin to come together until finally I am detailing the sculpture, adding wrinkles, pores, etc.

Any ideas or advice on getting started (keep in mind I am not very confident when it comes to drawing for some reason)?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know whether or not you have solved your problem all ready or not however here is my advice.

You definitely in the right place the tutorial above and below offer more than enough to start or restart drawing and construction a 3d image in 2D space. You already have been cultivating the necessary skills to "see" things. YOu just need to draw more. Ask your girl friend or companion to pose for you and try to capture the basic form then the lightest specular then the darkest speculars.

Local Libraries have basic tutorials so have at it. As a sculpture it will come easier than if you were joe neverdrew so have at it. Sculpting is like drawing but you cheat cause you work in 3d space. Joke.

TheRoad

Transition from Art Critic to Artiste - Diligence, that's all I need.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1